Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review
A new review of the 220 Pro.  Prior to seeing this, I have never heard of Audio Resurgence.  I also note that the review is written by "CAH", I have no idea who he might be.

Anyway, if you are one of those people that likes to read glowing reviews of Devialet products, I would suggest you skip this one and go and read something else.  This is not a glowing review!  

One other point to note, the author states that he (or maybe she) "spent a lot of time on the active Devialet forum".  I wonder if that is a reference to this fine forum?

The most interesting (or perhaps most curious) part of the review is the reference to the "Sonic Holography algorithm".  (Plus I recall the ASR review that had some curious measurements re phase)

Make of it what you will.

https://www.audioresurgence.com/2021/03/...eview.html
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
The reviewer seems to be a tube lover. "Sonic Holography algorithm"? I don't think so. Lots of detail, yes - little distortion and colouration, yes - signal manipulation? Definitely NO.
Despite spending "...a lot of time on the active Devialet forum" the reviewer tries DACs on the amplifier's "analog inputs", possibly believing this will bypass the built in DAC.
Re.: the phase thing at ASR; Amir has never measured a 220 Pro, only a D200 so we do not know if the channel timing difference exists in a 220 Pro.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(01-Apr-2021, 12:46)ogs Wrote: The reviewer seems to be a tube lover. "Sonic Holography algorithm"? I don't think so. Lots of detail, yes - little distortion and colouration, yes - signal manipulation? Definitely NO.
Despite spending "...a lot of time on the active Devialet forum" the reviewer tries DACs on the amplifier's "analog inputs", possibly believing this will bypass the built in DAC.
Re.: the phase thing at ASR; Amir has never measured a 220 Pro, only a D200 so we do not know if the channel timing difference exists in a 220 Pro.

Well, the review says what it says, and I am a great believer in freedom of speech.  As for my personal view, I find the concept that Devialet would add a secret "sonic holography" algorithm to be bordering on the absurd.

I have two main reasons for thinking this.  Firstly, I have been lucky enough to have attended a number of Devialet events where Mathieu Pernot has explained many things about the Devialet design philosophy.  It is all about accuracy to signal, measurements and similar.  All very objective.

Secondly, if Devialet had come up with a "Sonic Holography" algorithm, there is not a chance in this world that they would want to keep it secret.  There would be a page of superlatives on their website about how it was 1000 times more holographic than other holographic algorithms.  Plus it would be obligatory to give this fine feature a TLA, maybe Devialet SHE, Sonic Holography Enhancement" or something.

As for the ASR thing, the strange phase shift graph was produced just before the unit suffered a catastrophic failure and shut down.  So I think it is possible this was just a quirk of something misbehaving just before ultimate failure.  I cannot see any reason whatsoever for any phase differences between channels.

That said, it would be interesting to see this measured and checked on a Pro, or indeed on a not about to fail Expert.  Has anyone got an oscilloscope lying around?

(Or a Pro that they would be happy to send to Amir?)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Let's see for a start did he use SAM...
I'm suspecting that he did. I've asked the question / posted the comment.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

What an interesting bit of audio commentary. I'm not going to attack CAH for his summary of the sound. But I did read his review, and then snoop around a bit on the web site. A few things stand out for me; things that make me a bit cautious about this review.

He states that he D220 Pro 'sounds digitized'. It is fine if he thinks so, but there is not another professional review of the amp that says anything like that. How can the very experienced ears at Stereophile, and SoundstageUltra, and Absolute Sound all come to much different conclusions? (Not to mention me as well).

He may well have spent time reading this Forum, and if so, that is great. Certainly it is a great way to get a sense of what owners think about a product. But I don't see that we are doing nothing but heaping praise on the amp. I've seen plenty of criticism of some of the Expert & Pro models, as well as of the company itself. At least, 'Some of these people seemed credible, had nice systems, were honest and forthright etc'. Whew! Sure, some Devialet owners sold and moved on, and we always encourage them to share their experiences of their new gear; we're interested in their choices. I don't recall, however, that anyone has said that the Devialet didn't hold our interest, musically. That is a curious one.

I suspect this site is a one-man operation. I get the sense that he buys equipment, either new or used, as an avid audio hobby guy, and then writes reviews to post on his own website. The reviews are released sporadically in terms of timing, and they all appear to have been written by one person, CAH. it is a scientific paper shorthand to use the initials of various authors, but there should still be an authors full name somewhere on the paper or publication. I didn't find his name anywhere.

Oh yes, the terms 'phaseyness' and 'Sonic Holography Algorithym'. I puzzled over those bits as well.

Finally, I was interested to see the tabs for 'account details' and a shopping cart icon in the upper right corner of the web page. Following these links, I find that he sells some very inexpensive isolation pads. Which interestingly, have no third party reviews, and the two external sites that mention them (thanks to 'The Google') are dead links.

Anyhow, I'm sure CAH will be back to see what we've written, possibly hoping for some outrage. Why disappoint him? So, let's rally the troops, and rise to the vigorous defence of our chrome pizza boxes! Digitize the marching of our forces into a relentless parade of 1's and 0's! Take your finely crafted, jewel-like remotes and smash the smug, glowing tubes of this rascally infidel!

Actually I don't have the time or energy for that. Just typing all this out has sent me back to my Italian leather listening chair, with another glass of Semillion/ Sauvignon Blanc, where I will turn up the volume, just a bit, and revel in sound that my wife described as 'warm and luscious'.

Written by me, using my real name.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(01-Apr-2021, 15:36)Delija Wrote: Let's see for a start did he use SAM...
I'm suspecting that he did. I've asked the question / posted the comment.

I don't think he did. Guess he used his Dunlavy speakers which does not have a SAM profile.

EDIT: just checked; he did not use SAM.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(01-Apr-2021, 14:11)Confused Wrote:
(01-Apr-2021, 12:46)ogs Wrote: The reviewer seems to be a tube lover. "Sonic Holography algorithm"? I don't think so. Lots of detail, yes - little distortion and colouration, yes - signal manipulation? Definitely NO.

Well, the review says what it says, and I am a great believer in freedom of speech.  As for my personal view, I find the concept that Devialet would add a secret "sonic holography" algorithm to be bordering on the absurd.

I have two main reasons for thinking this.  Firstly, I have been lucky enough to have attended a number of Devialet events where Mathieu Pernot has explained many things about the Devialet design philosophy.  It is all about accuracy to signal, measurements and similar.  All very objective.

Secondly, if Devialet had come up with a "Sonic Holography" algorithm, there is not a chance in this world that they would want to keep it secret.  There would be a page of superlatives on their website about how it was 1000 times more holographic than other holographic algorithms.  Plus it would be obligatory to give this fine feature a TLA, maybe Devialet SHE, Sonic Holography Enhancement" or something.

As for the ASR thing, the strange phase shift graph was produced just before the unit suffered a catastrophic failure and shut down.  So I think it is possible this was just a quirk of something misbehaving just before ultimate failure.  I cannot see any reason whatsoever for any phase differences between channels.

That said, it would be interesting to see this measured and checked on a Pro, or indeed on a not about to fail Expert.  Has anyone got an oscilloscope lying around?

(Or a Pro that they would be happy to send to Amir?)

And the image he uses for the amp's rear is from a 250 Pro, not the 220.
Devialetless!
A pretty unimpressive website!
And the review borders on the absurd.
The pictures aren't his own, his knowledge of the amp is superficial, and lets face it, the Configurator is not user-friendly and glitch-free! I agree with Confused, if Devialet used a holography algorithm, they'd name and patent it Smile
Who would audition a component, using the (amazing) Waters' Q-sound CD, then complain about "phaseyness"!!?? The whole POINT of Q-sound is to use phase differences to project sound in different ways. Is CAH a moron?
The Devialets do produce spectacular imaging, but I think that's just good design, no tricks.
I spent a lot of time and effort setting mine up, and they are almost as good as the best sound I've heard from any system, at my (moderate) listening levels.
Oh well, to each his own- hope CAH finds something he likes.
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
(01-Apr-2021, 23:23)ICUDoc Wrote: I agree with Damon, if Devialet used a holography algorithm

To be fair, it was @Confused  who wrote that and I agree Devialet would have created an acronym for it and used it for more than it was worth!
Devialetless!
Hello

CAH here from AudioResurgence.com

I wrote the review on the Expert Pro 220 and someone dropped me a message through my website earlier today pointing me at this thread.

I’m surprised at some of the skepticism and suspicion my review has provoked, so let me just get a few of the easy points responded to, pretty much in the same order as they appear above -

Audio Resurgence is just a personal blog that I started a couple years back for fun. I don’t advertise or promote it nor do I seek to make any revenue from it.

Not all of the reviews are written by me, some of the old reviews were written by friends of mine when I was a member of the Wisconsin Audio Society about a decade ago.

My initials are CAH. My first name is Carl, the rest of it is no big secret but I don’t feel it’s necessary to splash my full name around the internet. These are not scientific papers I’m submitting to a journal for peer review. If anyone wants to call me and take issue with anything I say then my cellphone number is at the top of each page.

Yes, I registered on this forum a while back after spending a lot of time reading up on Devialet gear. I registered under the username ‘rooze’. That’s the username I use on many of the audio forums I participate in such as Audiogon, Audio Circle, Audio Asylum etc. So if anyone wants to dig into my sordid audio past I’m sure you’ll find plenty material with which to discredit my reputationSmile

Tube Lover - guilty as charged. I’ve also owned lots of SS gear over the 40 plus years I’ve spent in the hobby. I owned a couple of the early Tact amps with room correction, and later a Lyngdorf TDAi 2200, which I thought was a good piece of kit that I regretted selling.

There’s repeated mention of “the ASR review” - I’m unfamiliar with what that is. Is the inference here that I’m associated with it in some way, because you’ll need to elaborate if that’s the case?

@Damon “What an interesting bit of audio commentary. I'm not going to attack CAH for his summary of the sound. But I did read his review, and then snoop around a bit on the web site. A few things stand out for me; things that make me a bit cautious about this review.” - I’ll try to address your concerns but please, if there’s anything I miss then let me know.

I can’t comment on why Stereophile and the others came to different conclusions than my own, I just don’t know.

“.... the Devialet didn't hold our interest, musically. That is a curious one. “

You’re correct. I apologize for truncating my description of how it sounded to the point where it made little sense. What I’d tried to get across, but used too few words to do so, was that to me the Devialet came across in a positive way initially, but its presentation seemed artificial after a while, and quickly became difficult to listen to. I used the word ‘phaseyness’ to describe some aberration in the way the unit projects images unnaturally within the soundstage. What I didn’t make clear was the fact that this perception of phase anomaly varied in degree literally from track to track. It was that which triggered the Sonic Holography comparison, since i found SH to behave in exactly the same way. With Carver’s gear, on certain tracks the illusion of holographic imaging would be quite profound, then on the next track it might be barely noticeable. My Devialet unit seemed to follow a similar pattern.
Again, I should point out that I do have a hearing sensitivity to frequency and phase anomalies, though it doesn’t manifest on Q-Sound recordings. I’m not sure why that is. I should also have elaborated more on how I found the sound to be reminiscent of early Class D amp technology. It just sounded overtly digital, in the bad sense of the word, hence it didn’t hold my interest, musically.

“I suspect this site is a one-man operation. I get the sense that he buys equipment, either new or used, as an avid audio hobby guy, and then writes reviews to post on his own website. “ -

Exactly correct. Though why I’m suddenly feeling self-conscious about my choice of pass-time I have no idea.

“Finally, I was interested to see the tabs for 'account details' and a shopping cart icon in the upper right corner of the web page.” -
Yes, I’d much rather move something along without having to pay eBay fees. Is this problematic?

———-
@ogs
“And the image he uses for the amp's rear is from a 250 Pro, not the 220.”

-My apologies. I took a bunch of photos of the unit but all I could find when I came to write the review were my shots of the top display panel. I’ll take another look for the photos when I have some time.

@ICUDoc
“A pretty unimpressive website!
And the review borders on the absurd.”

- Thanks for your honest and forthright critique.

“Who would audition a component, using the (amazing) Waters' Q-sound CD, then complain about "phaseyness"!!?? The whole POINT of Q-sound is to use phase differences to project sound in different ways. Is CAH a moron”

I promise it wasn’t the only recording I played through the Devialet. It’s one of many go-to recordings I use to get a quick handle on a component, as I’m intimately familiar with what sits where in terms of Q-Sound effects, etc.
Moron? That’s a little personal isn’t it?

If I can add anything else I’d be more than happy to do so.

Cheers

CAH