Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cartridge for low mass tonearm with Devialet D250
Hi, 

I would appreciate your suggestions for a new cartridge. I currently have Thorens TD-903 turntable with a relatively low mass tonearm with effective mass of 11g. I currently have Shelter MC 301 mk II Cartridge. It is ok but not the best fit in regards to cartridge compliance value. Low mass tonearms would combine better cartridges that have medium to high compliance value. Shelter has compliance value of about 9 and I should be looking for a cartridge that has preferably compliance value of 20 or more. 

I also do not use separate RIAAConfused. Have tried Lehmann Black Box and modded Ear 834P but prefer the Devialets own due to better transparency to the source. The problem with my current cartridge is the low output voltage and I feel that although Devialets RIAA is very nice in other aspects there is a quite a bit of background hiss and noise from low voltage output MC Cartridges and Shelter has low output it being as low as 0,4mV. 

I know some MC Cartridges have high output options that are a little bit of middle ground between the low output MC and MM cartridges. I think most agree that best sound is often achieved with low output MC vs high output MC or MM. 

I would like to hear if you have managed to get low MC cartridges to play nice and quiet with Devialet RIAA and what would be your suggestions for cartridge that maybe is in the high output range for low output MC cartridges. I know some cartridges have output of 0,6mV for example (50% more than my current) or should I just go to high output MC. 

I would also like to have nice and balanced sound that has a little warmth, good bass extension, details and dynamic sound to listen to broad range of music. My loudspeakers are PMC Twenty5.26. 

Let me hear your favourites, thanks in advance my fellow Devialet listeners ?!?
Moi Ilpo,

I have Soundmith Zephyr mk3 (2,4mV output) with my Devialet 1000 Pro. Working really well.
Having recently switched to a Hana MH (high-output MC) I'm really happy with it and wonder whether it might fit the bill for you too?  Compliance is specified as 17 cu at 10 Hz, and the output is 2 mV at the standard modulation.  My tonearm has an effective mass of about 9 g, putting the calculated resonant frequency at about 9 Hz - it would also be close to 9 Hz for your 11 g tonearm, I believe.

Hana also make a low-output version of the M, predictably called the ML.  It has the same specifications other than output level (0.4 mV) and recommended loading.  From what I've read the difference in sound quality between the MH and ML is minimal, although I must say I didn't compare them before buying the MH as I felt the 0.4 mV output level could result in phono stage noise becoming more noticeable than I'd like.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(29-Nov-2022, 16:33)Waiski Wrote: Moi Ilpo,

I have Soundmith Zephyr mk3 (2,4mV output) with my Devialet 1000 Pro. Working really well.

I might actually test this one out. I could get one from Mr Hifi. And it really seems that their design work really well with high output cartridges. Thanks!
I also use a Soundsmith, an Aida 2. I think it works fine with the Devialet
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(04-Jan-2023, 17:32)frejo Wrote: I also use a Soundsmith, an Aida 2. I think it works fine with the Devialet

Update after a long time. I got the Aida mk II! My turntable was on a service and I got new tonearm wiring done with Audio Note silver and I also have now Audio Note Kondo silver IC. Just starting to play with the setup and have been running ClearAudio Cartridge Break-In record and a few of my favourites first. I have already noticed how high class the separation and details, soundstage and the rich and accurate bass, nice top end, etc.. I think this will be awesome cart to dile really in. 

What kind of RIAA settings you have found to be working best with Aida in your opinion ?
I haven't really tried that many, 2,0 mV, loading High and 100pF works for me. Riia 1976...

Good luck, I think it is a nice cartridge.
(21-Sep-2023, 12:14)ilpohokkanen Wrote: What kind of RIAA settings you have found to be working best with Aida in your opinion ?
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(22-Sep-2023, 14:40)frejo Wrote: I haven't really tried that many, 2,0 mV, loading High and 100pF works for me. Riia 1976...

Good luck, I think it is a nice cartridge.
(21-Sep-2023, 12:14)ilpohokkanen Wrote: What kind of RIAA settings you have found to be working best with Aida in your opinion ?

Thanks! I quess that is the way to go. And the things affecting the most are with the turntable of course.. Antiskating, counterweight, etc.. I think I have the alignment right. Stereoimaging and balance are very good.