Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet’s « next revolution » upcoming? (Christmas 2022)
For a consumer product, it looks pretty slick. Sadly, just another step away from high-end audio for Devialet. Then again, maybe this is exactly the direction that music-filled households (& backyards) are headed in. If it supported Roon via wifi, I might even be tempted. As a BT speaker, not so much.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(07-Nov-2022, 15:51)mdconnelly Wrote: For a consumer product, it looks pretty slick.  Sadly, just another step away from high-end audio for Devialet.  Then again, maybe this is exactly the direction that music-filled households (& backyards) are headed in.    If it supported Roon via wifi, I might even be tempted.  As a BT speaker, not so much.

At least, it offers Wifi and USB C. 
Roon would be good at least for those of us who can make use of Roon ARC.
We might need to remember for what it is intended, e.g. to listen some good and high quality music at the beach  Cool
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
I could see it as a nice, portable yet decent sound quality music solution - on vacation, outside, down in my workshop, up in the guest room, etc... Using it with Roon (either ARC or at home) would be ideal, but personally, I'd far prefer via wifi than bluetooth. But since it does seem to support Alexa, I can imagine a lot of potential customers of Amazon music jumping at this. It'll also be interesting to hear more about their adaptive 360 degree smart sound.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(07-Nov-2022, 10:34)ada Wrote: The question is if it is designed to be outdoor friendly or not. In my opinion, for in-house usage Phantoms are already cool. If Devialet say portable I expect it to compete with the others that have IPXX water protection but from the look I have a feeling that it has fabric coating. For me, only reason to buy a battery driven speaker is to use it outdoor but seems like this won't fit to my taste. Let's wait for the website to be back and we can see the details.

it has ipx4 , but who wants to listen to music outside with rain ?
Some requirements I do not quite understand
if you are outside it can happen that it starts to rain, or you (or your dog) come back from swimming and some waterdrops are falling on the device.
Or you use it on a boat. An outdoor device should have at least a little bit of water resistance...
(07-Nov-2022, 17:37)frenek Wrote:
(07-Nov-2022, 10:34)ada Wrote: The question is if it is designed to be outdoor friendly or not. In my opinion, for in-house usage Phantoms are already cool. If Devialet say portable I expect it to compete with the others that have IPXX water protection but from the look I have a feeling that it has fabric coating. For me, only reason to buy a battery driven speaker is to use it outdoor but seems like this won't fit to my taste. Let's wait for the website to be back and we can see the details.

it has ipx4 , but who wants to listen to music outside with rain ?
Some requirements I do not quite understand

Generally all the portable speakers are designed to be used on open areas as we have dedicated speakers for the indoor. You can check Bang-olufsen or Ultimate Ears, you will always see the speakers that are connected to backpack, on top of the mountains next to your coffee cup or in the swimming pool with you. I wish that Devialet was mentioning the type of the fabric they used on the outside and if it is cleanable/washable/detachable but in any case with 2.3KG weight it is out of my radar to come with me to the top of the mountains Smile, I will keep using my Ultimate Ears as they really satisfy me with the sound quality, water and impact resistance.
It is very difficult to build good sounding speaker and make it water-proof at the same time. ipx4 is good enough
(08-Nov-2022, 16:06)ada Wrote: Generally all the portable speakers are designed to be used on open areas as we have dedicated speakers for the indoor. You can check Bang-olufsen or Ultimate Ears, you will always see the speakers that are connected to backpack, on top of the mountains next to your coffee cup or in the swimming pool with you. I wish that Devialet was mentioning the type of the fabric they used on the outside and if it is cleanable/washable/detachable but in any case with 2.3KG weight it is out of my radar to come with me to the top of the mountains Smile, I will keep using my Ultimate Ears as they really satisfy me with the sound quality, water and impact resistance.

First a portable speaker should be portable that's the main advantage vs. indoor speakers and by far no replacement for inears.
Outside the pool is different to inside the pool with regards to water resistants, it's not a diving object.  
It's for the terrace or for vacation and no all-round tool and for sure good enough for the bathroom.
It’s exciting to see what LINN has been achieved with their new Organik DAC (and offering upgrades to previous models). That’s for example something to strive for in the expert line.