Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Devialet AIR driver update
18m months later and no update for Mac OS Ventura.....
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

Is there anything not working as expected with Ventura? I have been using AIR from the very first day of official release of Ventura with no issues. I am not sure if I am missing anything. Audio exclusive mode doesn’t work for AIR but if I am not mistaken it has never ever worked with AIR.
(04-Feb-2024, 18:07)ada Wrote: Is there anything not working as expected with Ventura? I have been using AIR from the very first day of official release of Ventura with no issues. I am not sure if I am missing anything. Audio exclusive mode doesn’t work for AIR but if I am not mistaken it has never ever worked with AIR.

You superstar.. Thank you so much.
As it didn't list Ventura I had assumed it wouldn't!
All working Smile
Soooooo much better than USB!

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1

(04-Feb-2024, 21:40)DelaneyB Wrote:
(04-Feb-2024, 18:07)ada Wrote: Is there anything not working as expected with Ventura? I have been using AIR from the very first day of official release of Ventura with no issues. I am not sure if I am missing anything. Audio exclusive mode doesn’t work for AIR but if I am not mistaken it has never ever worked with AIR.

You superstar.. Thank you so much.
As it didn't list Ventura I had assumed it wouldn't!
All working Smile
Soooooo much better than USB!

Anyone using AIR 4.0.1 successfully with MasOS Sonoma yet?
I do, don’t forget exclusive mode won’t work (now it is more visible because of the big microphone icon at the top bar) but this is not something new. AIR has never worked in the exclusive mode.
Tried it with and without Excluisve Mode but no sound what ever - Audirvana sees Devialet Air and though the track plays there is no sound from the amplifier. What a shame
(04-Feb-2024, 21:40)DelaneyB Wrote: Soooooo much better than USB!

Please explain: Better in which way? Is the sound-quality better or the handling?

I use Audirvana on a MacBook Air M1 connected via a short USB-cable to my Expert 250 (non pro) and I am quite happy with the SQ.

As far as I know:
- When using USB only the Expert is responsible for the timing. It is pulling the data from the computer.
- When a different input is used at the Expert there are two units making a timing and both needs synchronization to each other. I think this is more difficult than using USB.
(25-Feb-2024, 20:26)Matthias Wrote: ...
As far as I know:
- When using USB only the Expert is responsible for the timing. It is pulling the data from the computer.
- When a different input is used at the Expert there are two units making a timing and both needs synchronization to each other. I think this is more difficult than using USB.

It's not that simple, in either case.

For USB audio, all data on the bus are clocked by the USB clock which is not related to the sample rate. The Devialet buffers the received data and clocks out audio samples at a rate determined by an internal clock. Assuming the sender and receiver are using asynchronous mode, the Devialet provides feedback to the sender so that over long periods of time there is no clock drift. This is somewhat similar to what you described second.

USB is a specific example of a more general case which also applies when audio data is sent to the Devialet over a network: the sender and receiver agree on the audio sample rate, the data are sent over a physical layer which has a completely independent clock frequency, and there is some feedback mechanism from the Devialet to the sender to make sure that things run smoothly and the average rate at which the sender produces samples matches the rate at which the receiver (Devialet) consumes them.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Neither AIR nor USB sound optimal in my view, but AIR is a bit better (ethernet). Compared with my vinyl source transients like sharp percussion are less crisp, the mid tones get slightly muddled up and overall soundstage is flatter. My Naim Uniti Atom Headphone amp in the office is a league apart.

Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1

To me the best sound quality remains the AES/EBU input.
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1