Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Expert 120 and Thorens Turntable
^___ That’s a very wise advice: Don’t rush and wait to be able to judge by yourself with your system and your ears.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(12-Dec-2021, 18:09)thumb5 Wrote: I debated the same question when I replaced my cartridge recently.  There's no easy answer because one's tolerance of noise is very individual, and of course there is no magic output level at which it suddenly disappears.

If you have a cartridge already why not wait until your 120 arrives, connect it up and see how annoying you find the so-called hiss - it's actually weighted to the bass so it sounds to me more like a rumble.  You can then play around with the phono stage sensitivity in real time using the remote control which might help you to judge at what point the hiss is no longer a problem for you.  For me, it was becoming pretty bearable at 0.5 mV sensitivity and not a worry at anything over 1 mV.

For what it's worth, I opted for a Hana high-output model on the basis that the differences in sound quality between the low- and high-output versions of a given cartridge were probably less significant than the potential for being annoyed by noise (whether or not it was "real" or perceived).

That is sane and helpful advice. Thanks. I shall curb my neurosis and wait and see how the Supex goes. It may all be a non-issue, and if so I shall save money (which will please my wife, who sees an amplifier is an amplifier is an amplifier). The pressure I feel comes from Christmas around the corner, and with stores likely closing or deliveries being slowed for a while if there is a need for changes to the system.

Any advice on setting up the MC line input? I assume that the only configuration open, after setting it to MC, and the output to 200 

Regards from Perth

Derek
Some progress notes ....

How did the Supex work with the MC input? I'd say that the result is about 95%. I listened to Bill Evan's "You Must Believe in Spring", which I have had for 40 years. I had been using a Harmon Kardon HK6500 amp (70 wpc and high current), which saw off a Musical Fidelity A3.2. The HK produced a good sound, but the Devialet/Supex lifted the game to another level. Clearer, more detailed, sweeter.

Why 95% and not 100%? Well, there is no hum as I feared. However, there is a faint noise coming from both speakers which is like a slight pulse. It is hidden behind the music and only apparent when the sound is turned down. It rises and falls with the volume. It is not present when the phono is changed to another input. I am hoping someone will comment about this.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Derek - please take a look at my reply to this post in your other thread...Wink
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks .... go to: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Devialet...#pid104579

Regards from Perth

Derek