Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Direct Optical Mode
Hi I am new to this forum. I have just purchased 2 Phantom II 600 speakers for home use and I'm totally impressed with the sound, so I will be selling my KEF LSX's and Cambridge Audio Minx 301 subwoofer. I have a question (in fact a few questions), in the hope that I'll get a reply.

I am a DJ and currently use 2 RCF ART 715 MkIV for gigs, and I love them but I think if I was to purchase 2 Phantom 1's 4500W speakers then It would make my setup lighter and louder (and better).

Now I know that these speakers have a minimum latency of 40ms which is no good for mixing or vocals. I read somewhere they can be put in "Direct Optical Mode" which will reduce the latency to <5ms, which would be fine, and also increase the decibels. Does anyone have experience of doing this? I know this will disable the wireless and bluetooth which I don't need anyway... an Ethernet connection is fine. 

Also I'm looking at using a Bose T4S digital 4 channel mixer which has Ethernet outputs? would this set up work OK?

Can I connect the cable directly from the mixer to the Phantoms? Or would I have to set up both devices on the same network via a hub so they recognise each other first? and would I be able to connect the cables directly once they have been set up on the network, or would I need to keep them connected to the hub?

Does anyone have any issues with Direct Optical Mode?

Many thanks.
There is a thread about this here: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Direct-O...ode-How-to
I don't own Phantoms, but with Direct Optical Mode I believe you need to use... optical. Does your Bose mixer have optical (Toslink) output?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(04-Aug-2021, 12:13)ogs Wrote: There is a thread about this here: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Direct-O...ode-How-to
I don't own Phantoms, but with Direct Optical Mode I believe you need to use... optical. Does your Bose mixer have optical (Toslink) output?

The above thread is specific to DOS 1.

The Op should refer to DOS 2 Direct Optical mode.

I have been running both OS Direct optical modes for some time now. The mode has been rock solid.
Ah, linked the wrong thread! Thanks for the correction Smile
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(04-Aug-2021, 12:13)ogs Wrote: There is a thread about this here: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Direct-O...ode-How-to

Thanks for your replies. The Bose mixer doesn't have Toslink, it only has Ethernet, USB and analogue options.

The information I got on configuring the Phantom was from the Devialet help pages link: PHANTOM I CUSTOM – Devialet Help Center

According to my understanding, Direct Optical on the Phantom must be configured using Ethernet, as it must be set up using the speaker's IP address.

I am unsure as to whether the Ethernet is only required for initial configuration or whether I can carry on using it that way, or if I need to use Toslink after configuration.

This will be critical in my choice of whether or not to invest in the Bose T4S Mixer, or get a different mixer.
(04-Aug-2021, 14:52)DJ Storm Wrote: According to my understanding, Direct Optical on the Phantom must be configured using Ethernet, as it must be set up using the speaker's IP address.

I am unsure as to whether the Ethernet is only required for initial configuration or whether I can carry on using it that way, or if I need to use Toslink after configuration.

Ethernet is ONLY required to select and subsequently configure Direct Optical mode.
Audio is expected ONLY on the optical input.

However, Devialet produce a product specifically for custom install and this speaker does accept analogue input. This is the model that you mentioned earlier.
I imagine they are only available from custom installers or more probably from Devialet direct.
This is new to me! So a Custom model is now available for both Phantom I and Phantom II. I can see no difference between an ordinary Phantom I and Phantom I Custom, however. The Dante support is via the Dante-to-optical adapter. I'm not even sure the Dante adapter is included in the box.
On the Phantom II there is a substantial difference with balanced analog or AES/EBU digital input and Dante on ethernet as opposed to ethernet streaming (RAAT, Airplay...) optical and analog on the "home" version.
For @DJ Storm if the Bose mixer supports Airplay, Dante or UPnP you may get that to work over ethernet with a Phantom I, but the only way to have low latency is Optical Direct Mode (where the Date adapter will work).
Devialetless!
(04-Aug-2021, 14:52)DJ Storm Wrote: Thanks for your replies. The Bose mixer doesn't have Toslink, it only has Ethernet, USB and analogue options.

If the mixer has USB audio out, there are plenty of USB-->TOSlink converters. Likewise, plenty of analog-->TOSlink converters.
(04-Aug-2021, 21:22)ogs Wrote: This is new to me! So a Custom model is now available for both Phantom I and Phantom II. I can see no difference between an ordinary Phantom I and  Phantom I Custom, however. The  Dante support is via the Dante-to-optical adapter. I'm not even sure the Dante adapter is included in the box.
On the Phantom II there is a substantial difference with balanced analog or AES/EBU digital input and Dante on ethernet as opposed to ethernet streaming (RAAT, Airplay...) optical and analog on the "home" version.
For @DJ Storm if the Bose mixer supports Airplay, Dante or UPnP you may get that to work over ethernet with a Phantom I, but the only way to have low latency is Optical Direct Mode (where the Date adapter will work).

Unfortunately the Bose mixer is not Dante, so I've seen this Tascam AE-4D | Four-Channel AES/EBU-Dante Converter. So if I get the Phantom 1 into Optical Direct Mode using the previously mentioned method, will I be able to connect a data cable using this Dante converter? Would I be able to do it with the normal Phantom 1, or would I need the Phantom 1 custom? I understand with Dante the latency would be 0.15ms which would be perfect.

Alternatively I've seen a Behringer UCA222 Ultra low latency converter that has analogue in and optical out. I might give that a try with my Phantom II's as the Behringer is a very cheap option to start with and might work well enough.
The Dante adapter(with the Tascam or any converter really, Dante is rather strict on compatibility) should work equally well with both Phantom I models provided Devialet keeps Optical Direct Mode as an option for both. I don't think Phantom II can be configured for low latency in any mode and it may not have the capacity to work as a DJ speaker.
Devialetless!