Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echoes Music (Mac App)

This is to announce the first public beta¹ for a new Music Player app for macOS.

Feel free to download and try it out.
ALL Feedback welcome!

A little background

I suspect not many people here use a Mac as their source. 
I do. A mac mini, running an ancient version of iTunes (10.7). 

Reason being that I find newer versions of iTunes (now called Music), very disappointing to the point of being unusable with a large collection (1000s of albums).
It is just not practical to display all albums of all genres in one big grid. It's like a massive crate in a car boot sale.
It becomes even harder to use when a collection spans 100s of genres / styles, and includes 1000s artists whose names (German, Japanese or other, become a lot harder to remember).

Features at a Glance
  • Grouped album Grid : Genres, Date Added/Released
  • Bookmarks on artists, composers, genres & labels for 1+Click access.
  • Comprehensive metadata editor.
  • Custom Color Tags for instant visual identification.
  • Multiple libraries to allow archiving.
  • Integrated backup / restore.
  • Gapless, Bit-Perfect, Sample-Rate-Perfect playback², when your DAC interface supports it.
  • Contextual suggestions of related albums, artists, genres.
  • Dynamic, create-as-you-play song playlists & album stacks.

¹ Echoes is still in beta with the view to upload to App Store before the end of the year, for a small one-off fee.
² Supports Red-Book or High Res AIFF, WAV, FLAC, ALAC, and compressed MP3, AAC
Mac Mini + Matrix X-SPDIF2 + Echoes Music 1  |  Pro-Ject CD Box RS2T  ⏵  Devialet Expert 250 Pro  ⏵  Boenicke W5 SE, B&W ASW 608 Sub
A new public beta has been uploaded here:

Echoes Music 1.0 (12) beta

it includes various improvements, notably in the area of Works/Movements (for classical music).
Expires (Feb '23)

Feel free to download and send us your feedback...
Thank you!
Mac Mini + Matrix X-SPDIF2 + Echoes Music 1  |  Pro-Ject CD Box RS2T  ⏵  Devialet Expert 250 Pro  ⏵  Boenicke W5 SE, B&W ASW 608 Sub
does it also integrate streaming services?
I am testing Echoes Music right now. The setup is Mac Mini 2018 running Monterey. The setup went really smoothly. Also streaming via AIR is without problems. The sound is really good, just as good as Audirvana via AIR.

One thing, though, does Echoes Music have a remote control app? That would be helpful as my Mac is two floors upstairs!
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
Echoes Music is out now!

After 50+ iterations with a passionate helping crowd, this little monster is out on the
App Store

(30-day free trial, 34.99 euros, thereafter, 1-time payment, no subscriptions).

Echoes Music is not a streaming platform. For that we use the native apps (we do have Spotify lying around).
It's a smart Music (& Radio) Player, as iTunes once was. Easy to install and run, that comes at a fraction of the cost compared to the competition.

Feature at a Glance
  • Innovative "Grouped" interface (by Genre, Artist, Label, etc.) lets you view your collection the way you do with physical storage. (i.e. The Beatles will never be next to Ludvig Van, unless you really want it)
  • First class support for Labels, Composers, Song Works (suitable for classical music).
  • Multiple libraries to allow archiving music you don’t visit frequently, but want to keep around.
  • Integrated backup on a secondary location.
  • Gapless, Bit-Perfect, Sample-Rate adjustable playback, when your DAC support it.
  • Compatible with Red-Book or High Res files : AIFF, WAV, FLAC, ALAC, and compressed MP3, AAC.
  • Color Tags for instant visual album identification.
  • Comprehensive metadata & cover editor, with auto tagging from online database discogs.com.
  • Song markers editor for convenient playback of long tracks.
  • Bookmarks for quick access to artist, genres and other content. No need for endless filters. You can now access all your Blue Note albums with 1-click.
  • Album stacks and playlists, you can create-as-you-listen.
  • Contextual suggestions of albums from related, artists, composers and genres that are in your library.
  • Contextual Album Attachments Viewer for content such as high res artwork, embedded YouTube videos, PDFs etc.
  • Listening trends reporter.
  • CD Ripper
  • Internet Radio Player
  • Echoes Music Remote for iOS (will be available within a few days).

And many, many more…
Find out here:
smarttoolboxideas.com/echoes_music/

thanks for reading!