Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet Switch on Devialet
Hi guys, 
let me share my experience with you. 
Today I purchased an Ansuz X-TC network switch. I already listened to that in 2 systems and was very surprised with the results. 
The first system was: Pass XA25/ Pass XP 10 + Weiss 501 +  Marten Oscar Trio.
the second system was: Pass XA 30.8 + Ear preamp + Lampizator DAC + Auralic streamer +  Marten Parker Trio 
The improvement was noticeable immediately. 
That's why I decided to give it a try on Devialet. 
It works great! gives more details, vocals are nicer and last longer, the bass is more controlled, and the mid-bass is much better. 
If you have some dealers selling network switches nearby, make it a try. I chose Ansuz since it was the only one available in nearby market, but will be interested to listen to experiences from other manufacturers (Innuos, Melco, Synergistic, etc)
Have to say that I was very hesitant and untrustworthy about the power switch, thinking about what it can improve in SQ. 
But, for my ears - yes, it can Smile  
It is the entry-level network switch in the Ansuz line and costs 2.000 euros. 
Cheers
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
if you want the best sound quality from the Expert don't use the CI board at all. An external solution like the ifi Zen Stream is much better.
I went the path with Ethernet optimization (Optical module, Etherregen, expensive LPS, expensive ethernet cables, ...) as well, but the Zen beats it easily for a fraction of the money.
More expensive external solutions are even better.
(10-Nov-2022, 12:02)Vivialet Wrote: if you want the best sound quality from the Expert don't use the CI board at all. An external solution like the ifi Zen Stream is much better.
I went the path with Ethernet optimization (Optical module, Etherregen, expensive LPS, expensive ethernet cables, ...) as well, but the Zen beats it easily for a fraction of the money.

My experience is the same as Vivialet. Tried several solutions and settled with aes/ebu input.
lps farad super 3, cheap low power computer with volumio, denafrips gaia reclocker.
farad super 3 (12v, sr orange fuse, furutech rodium ac inlet) -> daphile / diy streamer -> audioquest cinnamon toslink -> denafrips gaia -> transparent reference aes/ebu -> devialet 250pro ci -> transparent mws xl -> proac 3.8.

solid tech hybrid rack, shunyata hydra 8, shunyata anaconda helix alpha, shunyata python helix vx, dc cable farad level 2, isoacoustics orea bronze, ansuz darkz d2t.
Hi jbp,
so we went a similar route. After I noticed that the ifi Zen has a much better quality than CI with optimized ethernet I bought an Audio GD DI 20 HE which is connected to the Devialet via AES. There is no big difference between PC->USB -> Audio-GD and PC ->ifi Zen -> USB-> Audio-GD.
I have to say the combo iFi ZEN stream with iFi iPower Elite is really outstanding value for the money - and you have to invest a multiple thereof to get to the next level.
So this is really very easy to setup and test and will give you an instant improvement to the CI board used.
Which is sad as I guess the capabilities of the CI are by far not exploited properly - but that’s up to Devialet.
(10-Nov-2022, 22:30)markush Wrote: I have to say the combo iFi ZEN stream with iFi iPower Elite is really outstanding value for the money - and you have to invest a multiple thereof to get to the next level.
So this is really very easy to setup and test and will give you an instant improvement to the CI board used.
Which is sad as I guess the capabilities of the CI are by far not exploited properly - but that’s up to Devialet.

Thanks @markush for joining the discussion, 
actually, I realized that my, now pretty old, Auralic Aries Mini, works better than CI board.
When I switched to Qobuz (a couple of months ago) I had some strimming issues when streaming over Devialet. Then I connected Auralic Aries Mini to Devialet and switched to stream over Auralic Mini, and all problems are gone.
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
(10-Nov-2022, 12:02)Vivialet Wrote: if you want the best sound quality from the Expert don't use the CI board at all. An external solution like the ifi Zen Stream is much better.

Thanks for expressing your experience. 
Anyhow, from time to time I stream over Auralic Aries Mini (with external LPS), because of Devialet can't play some Qobuz music, but Aries Mini works fine. 
So sad, since working that way, we lose the concept of an "all in one" solution.
(10-Nov-2022, 15:45)jbp Wrote:

My experience is the same as Vivialet. Tried several solutions and settled with aes/ebu input.
lps farad super 3, cheap low power computer with volumio, denafrips gaia reclocker.

Hi @jbp
many thanks for the information shared. Have never heard about denafrips reclocker. 
Will take a look at Smile 
regards
Zoran
I also think and had a similar experience that not using Expert CI Board for streaming would give better results. I use Pi2Design Mercury Streamer which has very low jitter values and excellent SPDIF and AES output for Devialet. When I use it(Mercury Streamer) with a very optimized, Audio-focused Linux operating system like Gentooplayer and run everything directly on RAM with Bit-perfect output, the results are fascinating. You'll probably receive similar or even better results if you use a very good DDC like Denafrips Gaia.

Using audiophile switch and a fiber-optical network between the audio stream(NAS/Router and other digital sources) and the audio devices devices(streamer, Devialet) improves the sound(clarity, blacker background) significantly. I use SOTM SNH-10G (Devialet and Streamer are connected to it) and a managed Ubiquiti Fiber Edge10X Switch(NAS/Router/ISP and other digital sources are connected to it and audio traffic is prioritized on it) for other sources.
Stereo Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS/Internet sources>> Supra CAT8 >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4(Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >> Mercury Streamer (GentooPlayer, MPD+UpMpdCli  running on RAM) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  Mogami Gold AES XLR >> Devialet 220 Pro >> Echole Omnia Speaker/Jumper Cables >> B&W 804D3 Speakers on IsoAcoustics GAIA-II

Headphone Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS(CAT8) >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4( Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >>  Mercury Streamer(GentooPlayer , Mpd/UpMpdCli ) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  RCA Coax >> Chord Hugo >> Fostex TH900 MK2
Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t all the inputs on the Expert Pro routed through the CI board? The USB interface certainly is.

https://www.devialet.com/en-gb/amplifier...-infinity/

Quote:

“- An improved USB interface tailored to accommodate future audio formats.”
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus