Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence Devialet hasn't completely given up on the Expert Pro line
The reason I bought the first half of my Expert over 5 years ago, apart from the quality of the sound, which is still exceptional, was the introduction of the CI board that promised a bright future for this product. Additionally, its highly configurable Swiss Army knife qualities meant it fitted easily into my AV setup without lots of additional products ie boxes.

The engineering of this product was, and still is stunning but the software development is woeful as evinced by the obsolete SD card requiring almost programming skills to be of any use whatsoever. Why, oh why they could not embed the very limited amount of code as well as engineering into this product to fully automate its Swiss Army knife qualities is beyond me. The batch update to safeguard the configuration file after you have wrestled it / them out of the back of the machine, tortuously updated the card(s), put them back in the right order then checked the configuration out on the system, is a dinosaurian disgrace.

No orphan has had as much neglect as the Expert Pro.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
(09-Dec-2022, 09:51)Gerronwithit Wrote: The reason I bought the first half of my Expert over 5 years ago, apart from the quality of the sound, which is still exceptional, was the introduction of the CI board that promised a bright future for this product. Additionally, its highly configurable Swiss Army knife qualities meant it fitted easily into my AV setup without lots of additional products ie boxes.

The engineering of this product was, and still is stunning but the software development is woeful as evinced by the obsolete SD card requiring almost programming skills to be of any use whatsoever. Why, oh why they could not embed the very limited amount of code as well as engineering into this product to fully automate its Swiss Army knife qualities is beyond me. The batch update to safeguard the configuration file after you have wrestled it / them out of the back of the machine, tortuously updated the card(s), put them back in the right order then checked the configuration out on the system, is a dinosaurian disgrace.

It had the SD card system when you bought it. If it’s that bad, why did you?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(10-Dec-2022, 06:10)Pim Wrote:
(09-Dec-2022, 09:51)Gerronwithit Wrote: The reason I bought the first half of my Expert over 5 years ago, apart from the quality of the sound, which is still exceptional, was the introduction of the CI board that promised a bright future for this product. Additionally, its highly configurable Swiss Army knife qualities meant it fitted easily into my AV setup without lots of additional products ie boxes.

It had the SD card system when you bought it. If it’s that bad, why did you?
If you reread my post, you will see I praised its Swiss Army qualities ie its flexible configurability. Its sound quality is still amazing and it packs an awful lot of punch into a very glamorous package. I bought it for those reasons and my need to have it integrate into my AV room and system. Its footprint and beauty helped sell it to my wife. At that time, if they didn’t heed so many boxes I probably would have bought Naim. 

Now, I am not as fully flexible as a Swiss Army knife so having to clamber behind an enormously immovable HiFi table which currently contains my 65” television, my Denon AV amp, a Marantz DVD player, my Virgin media box, a telephone, a router and various other devices is not a trivial matter to extract two fiddly SD cards. The table is also tightly flanked by the 803 D3s. Then having to insert these into a PC to download or update the configurations is a very bad joke. You do not even know you have done this propely until you reinsert that cards into the boxes and fire it up. 

I’d rather do it from a sedentary position with the ability to instantly test any configuration changes or downloads I make. Even you, Pim, must see the incongruity of all the flexibility offered by the Export Pro compromised by these cards. As it happens, I have not touched them since I upgraded to the 1000 as the temptation to do so does not exist. Anyway, I bought the CI version because it was going to deliver so much upgrade flexibility and future proofing and Devialet has promptly done absolutely nothing to fulfil that promise.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
LinkedIn post re: Expert Pro from Sept 22 - nice video:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/devialet_...2672-gUs0/
Devialet Expert Pro 220, ATC SCM40 speakers, Pro-Ject Xtension 9 turntable, Chord Signature XL speaker cable
Today I put a question on Devialet’s page on LinkedIn

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
Let’s keep the showing we care
FYI - upcoming SAM Labs Day

https://madmimi.com/p/c957c81
Devialet Expert Pro 220, ATC SCM40 speakers, Pro-Ject Xtension 9 turntable, Chord Signature XL speaker cable
Would somebody take Dynaudio 30i´s there? Probably too much (and selfish) to ask...
Contributing Editor, Hifimaailma -Magazine Finland
Is someone attending SAM Lab days?
Would be a really good opportunity to ask about a firmware update! 😎
(10-Feb-2024, 01:19)markush Wrote: Is someone attending SAM Lab days?
Would be a really good opportunity to ask about a firmware update! 😎

Indeed, a good opportunity to ask. 

Although I think I would ask some more general questions, like what are Devialet's plans for the Expert range, why are the 250 / 1000 "nicer case" models discontinued, has Devialet completely given up on the Expert range? That kind of thing.

I could go as a spy, taking in one of my old JBL's for cover, but I'm busy on the 16th.
(and I've blown my cover by posting the above on a public forum)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12