Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert 120 ROON dropouts constantly
I’m new to the Devialet and absolutely love it. I”m keeping things simple and stream Qobuz from my iMac via ROON. I use AIR and Ethernet. AIR constantly drops out and Ethernet does as well just not as often. I have a great connection at over 100mbs.
Is this a known issue? Until I figure this out I’ve purchased a Wiin Mini for running Qobuz vis optical cable. It sounds great and doesn’t dropout at all even running Hi-Res music.

I just want to be able to use ROON for the information that it has and my computer is in a different room so USB isn’t an option,
“It’s about the journey, not the destination…”
Devialet Expert 120 & Klipsch Heresey IV’s
The latest firmware/OS version (now 2 years old) from Devialet, claimed to have resolved the dropouts. So if you haven't upgraded, check that.

When you say AIR and ethernet, do you mean Roon's AIR (not the devialet driver)? And do you mean Roon's RAAT protocol? Also, be sure to run ethernet cable between your router and your iMac and your router to your Devialet. If you're using wifi, that may be the issue.

Last possibility... Are you running gigabit ethernet from your router to your PC and to your Devialet? If so, try inserting a 100mbps switch in front of your Devialet so that the Devialet is getting ethernet at 100mbps. They're quite inexpensive. Amazingly, that solved my dropout problems back when I was having them.

You say you're getting dropouts when streaming Qobuz. Does it happen if you stream your own music via Roon?

Of course, it could also be that your iMac may be old and underpowered.

Short of that, I'd look at config issues with your router than may be causing it.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(15-Sep-2022, 14:35)mdconnelly Wrote: And do you mean Roon's RAAT protocol?

120 doesn't support RAAT.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

As of today it is working perfectly from ROON on my new 24" imac to my Expert 120 perfectly thru AIR (Devialet AIR Bit Perfect Asynchronous mode in ROON chain) Must have been something wrong with my internet signal. I just switched to gigabit here at home getting about 300 mbs.
I also have purchased a Wiin Mini and hooked it up thru toslink. It sounds fine, but haven't A/B'ed it.
I'm having the ifi Zen Streamer delivered thru Amazon tomorrow and will connect it thru usb cable.
I really just want the best version of ROON/Qoubuz I can have sonically to my expert 120 THAT DOES NOT CUTOUT this is the most annoying thing ever.
Devialet likes 100 Mbit network much better than Gbit.

I'm forcing 100 Mbit on the router for Devialet's LAN port.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Despite Devialet’s improved firmware/OS (from 2 years ago) I was still getting occasional dropouts on my 440 Pro unless I used a 100mbps switch. But, I then switched from running Roon Core on a Windows PC to running ROCK on a NUC. Once I did that, I no longer needed the 100mbps switch. Everything runs perfectly - no dropouts - via gigabit ethernet.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Durham, NC USA
(15-Sep-2022, 17:48)Delija Wrote: Devialet likes 100 Mbit network much better than Gbit.

I have a Ethernet 100 mb switch being delivered tomorrow. I’m assuming it just a splitter for Ethernet or is it something else? Can someone post one here from amazon to ensure I order the correct one. The Wiin Mini never drops out when connected to the same internet via wireless. I’m listening to 24/96 files easily at 2400 mbs….
You guys are awesome!!!
Have you checked out Roon's page on best networking practice: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/a...-practices

There may be something in there which helps you.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(15-Sep-2022, 23:00)Iwillwalkagain Wrote:
(15-Sep-2022, 17:48)Delija Wrote: Devialet likes 100 Mbit network much better than Gbit.

I have a Ethernet 100 mb switch being delivered tomorrow. I’m assuming it just a splitter for Ethernet or is it something else? Can someone post one here from amazon to ensure I order the correct one. The Wiin Mini never drops out when connected to the same internet via wireless. I’m listening to 24/96 files easily at 2400 mbs….
You guys are awesome!!!

Search Amazon for a 5 port 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch.   Yes, it works as a splitter.   You can find them (in US) anywhere from $9 to $90+ but they all do the same thing.  Some are just more plastic than others.  I bought a cheap one and it worked fine.
Durham, NC USA
(15-Sep-2022, 17:40)Iwillwalkagain Wrote: As of today it is working perfectly from ROON on my new 24" imac to my Expert 120 perfectly thru AIR (Devialet AIR Bit Perfect Asynchronous mode in ROON chain) Must have been something wrong with my internet signal. I just switched to gigabit here at home getting about 300 mbs.
I also have purchased a Wiin Mini and hooked it up thru toslink. It sounds fine, but haven't A/B'ed it.
I'm having the ifi Zen Streamer delivered thru Amazon tomorrow and will connect it thru usb cable.
I really just want the best version of ROON/Qoubuz I can have sonically to my expert 120 THAT DOES NOT CUTOUT this is the most annoying thing ever.

I use Roon streaming via AIR (4.0.1) (Ethernet) and once I setup a 5 Second buffer, the issues stopped.
Tell me about the WiiM. I recently got one connected it via S/PDIF and the sound was not as good by a very large margin. So without any more experience with streamers, I would say Roon Core to the Expert 120 is the way to go.