Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert Pro Config Question
Hello
I'm new here and I'm actively looking to purchase a used Expert Pro 220 CI (from the USA), but have a question about its config options.

I would like to basically invert the way the unit generally operates in driving main speakers and pre-out to subs. I'd like to set the pre-outs as the mains, and drive a pair of tube monoblock amps with LF cut-off, which in turn drive my Dunlavy SC-III.

Then, I would connect my passive stereo subs to the speaker terminals and use the Pro 220 to cut-off frequencies above say 80hz.

Is this doable?

Obviously, the premise here is that my tube Monos are preferred sonically to the internal amp of the Pro 220, and this may or may not turn out to be the case. But having this flexible option would sure be nice to try.

And if anyone has a reasonably priced 220 CI in the USA that they're looking to sell, please do not hesitate....Smile

Cheers
Rooze
Hello Rooze, and welcome to the forum.

A quick play around with the on-line configurator suggests that it can be set up to apply a low-pass filter to the main outputs and a high-pass filter to the pre-amp outputs, which I think is what you have in mind.  So from the configuration point of view, yes, it looks do-able.

I hope that helps, and let us know how your set-up evolves once you get started.

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(31-Dec-2020, 18:33)rooze Wrote: Hello
I'm new here and I'm actively looking to purchase a used Expert Pro 220 CI (from the USA), but have a question about its config options.

I would like to basically invert the way the unit generally operates in driving main speakers and pre-out to subs. I'd like to set the pre-outs as the mains, and drive a pair of tube monoblock amps with LF cut-off, which in turn drive my Dunlavy SC-III.

Then, I would connect my passive stereo subs to the speaker terminals and use the Pro 220 to cut-off frequencies above say 80hz.

Is this doable?

Obviously, the premise here is that my tube Monos are preferred sonically to the internal amp of the Pro 220, and this may or may not turn out to be the case. But having this flexible option would sure be nice to try.

And if anyone has a reasonably priced 220 CI in the USA that they're looking to sell, please do not hesitate....Smile

Cheers
Rooze

Welcome, Rooze. You should put a 'Wanted to Buy' post in the For Sale forum. You''ll get more eyes on it. They are out there. I sold mine this summer, actually. Good luck!
Audiolab 6000CDT, Innuos Zenith MK II, Roon, Synology NAS, D250 Pro CI, Graham Audio Chartwell LS6f, Thorens TD-160, Pickering XV-15 1200e