Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fantastic Tweak for Ethernet input
Somewhat a skeptic on the differences made by expensive USB and Ethernet cables, I have been astonished by a recent cheap and simple tweak I did to my D200 Ethernet input.

All it took was a pair of Ethernet media converters that converts my Ethernet switch UTP CAT7 signals to fiber and back to CAT7 into the Devialet. I used a Teddy Pardo 5V linear power supply to power the Media convertors to ensure quality power.

The convertor is similar to the ones below:
http://www.computercablestore.com/Fast_E...D4415.aspx

This resulted in substantial increase in clarity and overall "blackness". It was no slouch before but this proves to be quite an improvement for me.

This is a cheap tweak and I encourage you to try it out and tell us if your experience is similar and I am not imagining things.
Interesting! I did check out if the Devialet's ethernet input is galvanically isolated and it is. You can see the TDK tla-6t118lf pulse transformer in the lower left corner of the image below.

I'm wondering what the ethernet media converter could add more, especially if/when you use an unearthed ethernet cable. Maybe it's a "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" thing. Smile

More info on the TDK part: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en...-ND/607185

[Image: Interfaces_numeriques-8.jpg]
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(10-Jun-2014, 17:32)Antoine Wrote: Interesting! I did check out if the Devialet's ethernet input is galvanically isolated and it is.

I understand most high end USB and Ethernet are galvanically isolated. That of course do not stop people from coming up with 4 figures USB or even Ethernet cables. While I suspect much of that is greed and marketing, there are just too many people supposed to be in the know who claims marked differences between these data cables.

This tweak I learned from elsewhere I figure it wouldn't hurt to try. I could very well be victim of placebo effect. Good thing it is cheap. I would love for people with better ears to try this out and give their opinion on this tweak.
You must have bad tp-cables or faulty network equipment for this tweek to work.
If you use a good switch and minimum cat5e cables there shouldn't be a difference. With cheap converters you might end up having more errors... Using Cat6 you can run 10gb on tp-cables. If you have a managed switch you can even configure QoS for the traffic, making sure that no traffic is dropped.

The pc/mac are sending udp packets to the devialet, so it is only one way traffic (No ack from the amp).
Naim nac-n 272, Naim nap-300, PMC Fact 12, Audience AU24SE power cables, Oppo BDP-103D
(11-Jun-2014, 21:37)Sobert Wrote: You must have bad tp-cables or faulty network equipment for this tweek to work.
If you use a good switch and minimum cat5e cables there shouldn't be a difference. With cheap converters you might end up having more errors... Using Cat6 you can run 10gb on tp-cables. If you have a managed switch you can even configure QoS for the traffic, making sure that no traffic is dropped.

The pc/mac are sending udp packets to the devialet, so it is only one way traffic (No ack from the amp).

I think the theory at least is not to improve data quality which is supposedly perfect.

The theory at least is electronic noise carried through the Ethernet cable. There are Ethernet isolators that tackles le leakage current for medical applications. like this one:

http://industrialcomponent.com/baaske/mi1005.html

Whether this is an issue since the Devialet is galvanically isolated, as pointed out by Antoine, is a good question.

I know this is probably a worthless tweak, fortunately this one does not cost much in comparison to things like equipment footers that cost 4 figures or cables that cost many times more.
Agentsmith, I wouldn't say it's a worthless tweak if it works for you and I think we've all seen stranger things to be true/have a positive effect on playback quality. Also all filters/pulse transformers attenuate noise, they don't completely get rid of it so I myself could see the advantage in the optical converters.

PS: I stumbled upon some other devices for LAN/wired ethernet isolation as well. These are targeted at the audiophile crowd, so will probably be expensive. Will check them out later myself, just sharing now. Of course these devices seem to be "beefed up" medical isolators.

Acousence GISO:
http://www.acousence.de/index.php?option...90&lang=en

Acoustic Revive LAN-Isolator RLI-1:
http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/p...lator.html
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(13-Jun-2014, 13:00)Antoine Wrote: Agentsmith, I wouldn't say it's a worthless tweak if it works for you and I think we've all seen stranger things to be true/have a positive effect on playback quality. Also all filters/pulse transformers attenuate noise, they don't completely get rid of it so I myself could see the advantage in the optical converters.

PS: I stumbled upon some other devices for LAN/wired ethernet isolation as well. These are targeted at the audiophile crowd, so will probably be expensive. Will check them out later myself, just sharing now. Of course these devices seem to be "beefed up" medical isolators.

Acousence GISO:
http://www.acousence.de/index.php?option...90&lang=en

Acoustic Revive LAN-Isolator RLI-1:
http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/p...lator.html

Hi to all,

I'm new to this forum and I noticed the ethernet filter post.
I use the Gismo Filter in my system.
In my setup the Devialet 200 is fed by a dedicated music PC which in turn is fed by a NAS located on another floor.
The GISO gave a substantial improvement as described with clearer detail and blacker background.
Devialet 440 pro CI, Shunyata Research Sigma S/PDIF RCA link, In-Akustik Referenz LS-4004 Air , B&W 802 Diamond.
Aurender N10, SR Sigma AES/EBU 
2x Paul Pang OCXO dual switch, SR Sigma Ethernet, Acousense GISO GB Lan Isolator
Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2
SR Denali 6000/S V2, SR Alpha NR PL C19, Naim PL C15
IsoAcoustics Gaia I, Orea Bronze & Indigo
Hi Herman, thanks for sharing! I'm already reading about lots of great results with the GISO's, they seem to be better than the Acoustic Revive one as well. I find the prices a bit steep though, I haven't seen it confirmed yet but I read €250 for the 100Mbit/s version (which is enough for the Devialet) and €350 for the 1Gbit/s version.

I'm assuming you put the GISO between your dedicated music PC and the Devialet? Do you also use 'special' ethernet cables in your setup before or after the GISO?

The Netherlands
(13-Jun-2014, 16:00)Antoine Wrote: Hi Herman, thanks for sharing! I'm already reading about lots of great results with the GISO's, they seem to be better than the Acoustic Revive one as well. I find the prices a bit steep though, I haven't seen it confirmed yet but I read €250 for the 100Mbit/s version (which is enough for the Devialet) and €350 for the 1Gbit/s version.

I'm assuming you put the GISO between your dedicated music PC and the Devialet? Do you also use 'special' ethernet cables in your setup before or after the GISO?

Hi,

I bought the 1 GB model as I read this provided the better quality and is more future proof.
My Audio Pc is connected to a router.
The Devialet and NAS are connected to the same router.
The fully passive Audio PC and the Devialet are in the same room. The NAS is in another room and on another floor to cancel any noise interference.
In this setup I opted to put the GISO between the router and the Audio Pc, as the route between these two is the longest and the Audio Pc gets the cleanest signal.
The GISO delivery box contained a short ethernet cable to connect the GISO. I believe it's cat 6. The connection form the Devialet to the router and the Audio Pc to the router is also Cat 6. The connection from the router to the NAS is Cat 5.
The most unexpected thing is that I even noticed a change in sound for the better using one of my Naim powerlines on the NAS.
Devialet 440 pro CI, Shunyata Research Sigma S/PDIF RCA link, In-Akustik Referenz LS-4004 Air , B&W 802 Diamond.
Aurender N10, SR Sigma AES/EBU 
2x Paul Pang OCXO dual switch, SR Sigma Ethernet, Acousense GISO GB Lan Isolator
Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2
SR Denali 6000/S V2, SR Alpha NR PL C19, Naim PL C15
IsoAcoustics Gaia I, Orea Bronze & Indigo
Interesting mention of the placebo effect.
I have no explanation why people are cured whilst taking a placebo pill rather than medication. Equally how this can work even when the subject -knows- that the pill is a placebo. Also I have no explanation why a placebo pill works better if it is more expensive.
It does appear though that some people (around 50%) get better without having a cure, which makes it entirely possible that 50% of people genuinely hear a difference between components even when there is none.
And particularly so if the item is expensive.

I believe this is the only technically believable explanation, personally.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire