Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Fidelity Filter Designer
Hi@Confused the point „improve the performance of the convolution filters“ is definitely an exciting one.
Especially expert tools like HQPlayer which can use those convolution filters and furthermore do also sophisticated upsampling.

@Focus Fidelity Can you share some of the mentioned ideas / improvements to come?
Late to this party, I know, but I've also taken the plunge and bought a licence for FFFD.  After just a couple of hours initial experimentation, I must say I'm very pleased with the results so far.  The process of using Impala to make the measurements and then the Filter Designer itself worked very smoothly.  I'm actually looking forward to doing it all again more carefully and fine-tuning the results.

The most obvious improvements I'm hearing so far (in my un-treated but otherwise not too badly-behaved room) are in these areas:

* better-balanced and controlled bass - double bass and bass guitar now "play tunes" more naturally
* improved mid- and high-range clarity - details are better resolved and sound more natural
* stereo imaging - deeper and more stable

Why did it take me so long?  Well, mainly because I've been holding out for a version I could run on my Mac.  The Mac version was released recently, but unfortunately it won't run on my Mac which is still on macOS Monterey rather than Ventura, the minimum requirement.  In the end, I thought I'd just bite the bullet as I also have occasional access to a PC.  If Impala and Filter Designer were made available on Monterey, that would be great, but otherwise my Mac is probably overdue an OS upgrade anyway so in due course I'll no doubt end up transferring the licence to my Mac.

Thanks @Focus Fidelity for a nicely thought-through program at a good price.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Hi @thumb5

Thank you for the feedback; I appreciate it.
I don't have plans to support Monterey at the moment. Most users seem to be on Ventura now.
Thanks @Focus Fidelity. I've now moved my Mac onto Ventura, mainly so that I can run Impala and Filter Designer.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Yesterday evening i also purchased Focus Fidelity. I'm amazed with the user interface and the convenience of this app! Before i was struggling with REW and YouTube tutorials without knowing for 100% sure i missed some little setting which could have a major impact.
I have to tweak a bit my filters here and there but here's the first one. I started with the Harman filter with 8db bass level. I use Roon and I did the measurements with SAM on (0%) as stated from users before in the thread. Next steps are testing them in HQplayer. The difference in sound quality is already really noticeable (less fatigue) as my speakers go very low and are placed very close to the wall wherefore they needed some EQ.
Thanks @Focus Fidelity for putting al these efforts in this application, well done! 

Mac Mini M2 - Roon + HQplayer - Devialet 250 - B&W 802 D4 - WireWorld Starlight CAT8 - Van Damme Up-Lcofc - Orea Bronze
Update on above. Settings I use are:
- Roon and HQ Player installed on Mac Mini M2
- Connected through ethernet (fixed IP on Devialet & Mac Mini)
- DPM off
- SAM turned on 50% (0% for measurements in Impala)
- Harman Target curve used when making the filter
- Filters exported in 64bit float format
- Imported in convolution (the 192k ones)
- Used filter in HQPlayer: Poly Sinc Gauss Long and NS9 shaper

Conclusion; this sounds fantastic!
Mac Mini M2 - Roon + HQplayer - Devialet 250 - B&W 802 D4 - WireWorld Starlight CAT8 - Van Damme Up-Lcofc - Orea Bronze
Great to hear! And FocusFidelity is really a major improvement.
Have you been talking with FF about setting SAM later on to a higher % value? Isn’t that changing the impala measurement based convolution created?
(21-Mar-2024, 20:20)WillyWortel Wrote: Update on above. Settings I use are:
- Roon and HQ Player installed on Mac Mini M2
- Connected through ethernet (fixed IP on Devialet & Mac Mini)
- DPM off
- SAM turned on 50% (0% for measurements in Impala)
- Harman Target curve used when making the filter
- Filters exported in 64bit float format
- Imported in convolution (the 192k ones)
- Used filter in HQPlayer: Poly Sinc Gauss Long and NS9 shaper

Conclusion; this sounds fantastic!
 I'm no expert on this but shouldn't you have SAM set to the percentage you're planning to use when you take the measurements? In your use case, you adjust (with SAM)  the adjusted output (with FF).
That's seems un-logical to me.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.