Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold Phantom - Not enough mids and treble
My wiim is placed inside a cabinet, however the router is placed around 1 meter away on the other side of a wall.
Have had no problems with disconnects at all.
Fantastic little product this Wiim Mini.

I do the listening 2 ways ...

1) as I like to call it "alone auditions" = audio only - via phantom's bluetooth from my phone (AAC bluetooth codec). I have Poweramp Equalizer on my phone - all is ok, I have adjusted the sound they way I like it. I sit closer to the Phantoms, same distance between speakers and myself ... an almost equilateral triangle. All is great, it is a pretty immersive experience.

2) My setup - LG TV - optic out - Phantoms in. I use this mode when I sit on the couch, sometime with guests and we are watching something on youtube. This is where I needed improvement in sound, too little trebles for my taste.
So this is where I need eq !
A bluesound node would have solved my problem, but it is a little too expensive for what I have to gain ... in my opinion.

So, realising that I don't have an Apple TV to use airplay like our colleague, I had no means to send the audio from TV to wiim and eq the sound and send it to the phantoms - other than headphone jack out on tv - wiim aux in - and optical from the wiim to the phantoms. I was a little afraid about the signal quality from 3.5 mm out of the tv...

So I have decided that I should leave it like it is and try to improve more on listening mode number 1 ... audio only via bluetooth.
So I've treated myself with a hifi bluetooth dac, superiour to the dac from the phantoms or dac from the wiim.

I've bought a Ifi Zen Blue v2 - with LDAC bluetooth codec.
Yes ... it was a difference, even with youtube's 192 kbps audio quality, the stage was a little larger and more airy on the Ifi. Plus the sound was brighter. You could tell the difference.
This Ifi is some serious equipment, not designed to be used with youtube source, and yet it still shined.
But at around 150 E I've decided that it is not suitable for my needs. It gave me ... let's say a 5% improvement in sound. LDAC is a big improvement over AAC ... but not from youtube !
I don't see myself using Roon, or some other means of listening from a more high quality source.
Youtube is for me, and paying 150 euros for a device that will just slightly improve on youtube and can not solve my other problem (way of listening nr 2) it's not ok.
So, I still have the Ifi, but just completed the forms for returning it.

Anyway, I said - let's give the wiim a try ... for 100 eur we shall see what it can do for me.
Yesterday it arrived and I did some testing ... not for too long, but enough to be able to write something here.

- For the bluetooth part of the wiim - I didn't perceived any difference. Either I connect directly to phantom's bluetooth, or to the wiim via bluetooth - it sounded the same to me (also AAC bluetooth codec on the wiim). But it is easier to connect to the wiim ... when I select (from wiim home app) bluetooth input - the music just starts to play from my phone.
The devialet app I think is a little buggy at the bluetooth connection part ... not even once I have successfuly bluetooth connected to the phantoms from the first try ... I just tryed again and again until they made the connected sound.
- for the other part ... from tv's 3,5 mm out - to wiim aux in, and from wiim's toslink out (I broke the spdif little door at the first insertion, but with luck I got the parts out) - to Phantoms toslink in.
It is ok, I have eq now. Did not had time to tweak it to my likings yet. But it is already an improvement.

What I don't like ... it's not related to the wiim...
I don't like this 3.5 mm out of my tv at all ... sound quality is ok, but I am used with my previous setup (optic + tv speakers output from TV) - where I had individual volumes for tv speakers and phantoms, so when my wife wanted to watch TV she muted the Phantoms (easily with devialet remote), and when she wanted music from youtube from tv she volumed up the Phantoms ... you get the ideea. She does not know how to switch the output from the tv's menu. She doesn't want to know. She likes it like before.

All would be ok if I could also select from tv's menu as audio output : headphones + tv speakers (prevoiusly I had optic + tv speakers perfectly synchronised).
And in theory I can ... I have on tv the option : headphones + tv speakers, but in reality I have a huge delay between the 2 outputs ... the sound is with a big echo.
This is my current status.

I want to try an adaptor, to be able to use another out audio port from the tv ... I need an adaptor from tv optic to wiim 3.5 mm aux in - but for this I need a powered adaptor ... another device that must be plugged at 220 V.
Another solution is tv's hdmi out - to wiim aux in.
I like this one ... because :
1) I have from tv the option to output hdmi + tv's speakers. I don't know about the delay yet ... but hopefully I will have no delay - being a digital output, like the optical.
2) for this I need just one little cheap gadget that doesn't need power ... an adaptor from hdmi to vga PLUS a 3.5 mm audio out. I don't care about the vga out part ... I just need the 3.5 mm audio out, to connect it to wiim's aux in. So with this I technically take audio from hdmi and send it via a jack to the wiim's aux in.
I've ordered this ... waiting to arrive.

Yea ... it didn't worked out...
I was counting on inserting this into my tv's hdmi e-arc, and I did (tried all hdmi ports), enabled hdmi output from the tv, clicked on e-arc, but no sound.
Anyway I noticed that actually I don't have hdmi + tv speaker output at the same time ... so I will try an optical to rca converter, see how that goes.

Edit ... the wiim app even has audio sync, I don't need nothing else

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)