Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Innuos Pulse doesn't work over AES/EBU cable
Hi guys, 
can you assist, please? 
a couple of weeks ago I purchased the brand new model of Innuos streamers: Pulse. 
And connected to Devialet over a USB cable. Everything worked great. 
Then, I decided to give a try to AES/EBU interconnect. I went to one store (they're making audio/power cables for more than 30 years) and ordered AES/USB cable. And they made it using Neotech Cable + Neotech connectors. 
Well, I took it today and then attached Innuos Pulse to my Devialet Expert Pro 220 CI. 
Before I started, I checked out the configurator and confirmed that AES/EBU port is enabled. 
Well, I spent some 2 hours trying to make it work and gave up. Roon simple can't see the Innuos attached. I tried also with Innuos sence application, to run it in standalone mode, but the message comes saying "NO Player Output - Dac disconnected". 
I have just updated Innuos sense to the latest version, but still nothing. 
Then I tried the same on my B system and Lampizator DAC, but still the same: AES/EBU doesn't work but USB connection works great. 
What can be a problem? 
thanks in advance 
Zoran
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
As it doesn't work on either Lampizator or Devialet it can be a faulty cable or the Innous failing. I know the AES/EBU input of the Devialet (from owning a 250) is fairly tolerant so even a modestly off-spec cable would "work". I'd check if the cable is correctly wired i.e. pin 1 to 1, 2 to 2 and 3 to 3.  pin 1 is ground. If this is correct the Innous may have some fault. Is there a SPDIF coax output on the Innous? Try it....

Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
It's obviously not the Devialet then. There is nothing "unorthodox" about Devialet's AES/EBU input. I used it with 3-4 different cables and 4-5 different devices. Never a problem.
Check your cable with a multimeter, and reference it against the picture above. If the is good, than ask the question in an Innous group perhaps.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
AES is not able to return info if a device is connected or not. It seems your Innuos is still using USB as output.
Check how to activate the AES output in the Innuos manual.
(07-Jan-2023, 08:54)Vivialet Wrote: AES is not able to return info if a device is connected or not. It seems your Innuos is still using USB as output.

Hi Zoran,

If you're seeing a message that there is no DAC connected, it's likely there is an issue with the digital output module on the Pulse. Please contact Innuos Support at support@innuos.com and the team will confirm if this is the case and if so, we'll replace your unit.

Nuno
(06-Jan-2023, 22:32)ogs Wrote: As it doesn't work on either Lampizator or Devialet it can be a faulty cable or the Innous failing. I know the AES/EBU input of the Devialet (from owning a 250) is fairly tolerant so even a modestly off-spec cable would "work". I'd check if the cable is correctly wired i.e. pin 1 to 1, 2 to 2 and 3 to 3.  pin 1 is ground. If this is correct the Innous may have some fault. Is there a SPDIF coax output on the Innous? Try it....

Hi @ogs,
many thanks for your answer and the picture provided. I tried today to make a connection between Innuos and Devialet over Optical cable (Audioquest, factory terminated) it worked pretty well in the past when I connected Aurali Aries with Devialet. But still nothing. 
Then I downloaded the latest update for the Innuos Sense application but still no success. 
I'll try to find out SPDIF coax cable as well. 
Cheers
Zoran
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
(07-Jan-2023, 13:31)innuos Wrote:
(07-Jan-2023, 08:54)Vivialet Wrote: AES is not able to return info if a device is connected or not. It seems your Innuos is still using USB as output.

Hi Zoran,

If you're seeing a message that there is no DAC connected, it's likely there is an issue with the digital output module on the Pulse. Please contact Innuos Support at support@innuos.com and the team will confirm if this is the case and if so, we'll replace your unit.

Nuno

Hi @innuos, Nuno 
many thanks for the fast assistance, much appreciated. I tried today to make a connection over an Optical cable (Audioquest forest, factory terminated). I used to use it when connecting the Auralic streamer to Devialeat, and it worked fine. But with my Pulse still nothing.
I sent an email to support@ yesterday. 
I really like the SQ of Pulse, and hope will be able to make it work over AES/EBU. 

Zoran

Hi @Vivialet
thanks for joining the discussion. 
Actually yes, when I switch to standalone mode, Pulse sees a USB cable, but not AES/EBU or Optical. 
In the Sense application, there is a "Refresh" option but when I click on it, nothing happens. 
Then, I deselected "Auto Select" and tried again on the "Refresh" link, but nothing happened. 

It could be some malfunctioning in the software application or maybe in the digital module. 
Happy to see that Innuos member here came so quickly to help me resolve the issue. I like the SQ over Devialet's streamer and Auralic's Aries SQ. 
cheers 
Zoran
(07-Jan-2023, 03:51)zdenes Wrote: It's obviously not the Devialet then. There is nothing "unorthodox" about Devialet's AES/EBU input. I used it with 3-4 different cables and 4-5 different devices. Never a problem.
Check your cable with a multimeter, and reference it against the picture above. If the is good, than ask the question in an Innous group perhaps.

Hi zdenes, 
thanks for sharing your experience here. Yes, tried today with Optical cable as well, and still nothing. 
Will check the cable as well. 
Cheers 
Zoran
For those that need it, here is a recommended way of wiring an AES/EBU plug using an XLR connector.  Just use a Male plug but the pins are numbered

[Image: eUMdLPO.jpg]
https://imgur.com/eUMdLPO

https://imgur.com/eUMdLPO
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds