Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it worth moving from Expert Pro 220 CI to Expert Pro 250 CI?
Brick 
Hi guys, 
I am thinking of moving from Pro 220 to Pro 250? 
The price difference is almost double. What is the sound difference? Does it justify the investment? 
I am listening to music just over streaming services (Qobuz) -  no phono, no CD, etc. 
Thanks
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
I really like the 250pro a bit more and I thought it was a step up in sound compared to the 220. Twice the money does not equal twice the sound quality unfortunately, but it is better. And the remote is nicer...
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(16-Dec-2022, 18:43)frejo Wrote: I really like the 250pro a bit more and I thought it was a step up in sound compared to the 220. Twice the money does not equal twice the sound quality unfortunately, but it is better. And the remote is nicer...

many thanks for the answer and impressions. You said that the remote is nicer ? I thought they share the same remote unit? I found it now on YT, yes, looks nicer. Anyhow, the price difference is high, I might rather go after 440 (2 x 220). 
Regards
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
(17-Dec-2022, 20:22)zoran_pavlovic Wrote:
(16-Dec-2022, 18:43)frejo Wrote: I really like the 250pro a bit more and I thought it was a step up in sound compared to the 220. Twice the money does not equal twice the sound quality unfortunately, but it is better. And the remote is nicer...

many thanks for the answer and impressions. You said that the remote is nicer ? I thought they share the same remote unit? I found it now on YT, yes, looks nicer. Anyhow, the price difference is high, I might rather go after 440 (2 x 220). 
Regards

If you don't plan upgrading to 1000 pro later on I would advice you to get another 220 pro to make it 440 pro.
I've owned almost all models of devialet expert and in my opinion 440 pro is the sweet spot of devialet amps and best value for money compared to the sound quality.

And believe me I know what I'm saying as an actual owner of 1000 pro and owned 440 pro previously.
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
I wouldn't invest any money at this point and wait for their next move.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Yes, getting another 220 and going for a 440 is an option, of course. I, however, prefer the 250 over the 440. That may depend on the speaker used though. With the 440 you also need two power cables and a digital cable, and they should be of rather good quality, in my experience. They also take up twice the space. Decisions decisions....
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(18-Dec-2022, 03:10)winiar560 Wrote:
(17-Dec-2022, 20:22)zoran_pavlovic Wrote:

Regards

If you don't plan upgrading to 1000 pro later on I would advice you to get another 220 pro to make it 440 pro.
I've owned almost all models of devialet expert and in my opinion 440 pro is the sweet spot of devialet amps and best value for money compared to the sound quality.

And believe me I know what I'm saying as an actual owner of 1000 pro and owned 440 pro previously.

many thanks @winiar560 for the great advice and for sharing your experience here. 
I am not sure I will go up to 1000 (at least not next year) so that's why going towards 440 Pro is more likely. 
Also depends on my next speakers. 
Btw, I see you are running Kef Reference 1. Are you satisfied with the sound and what is the size of your room? I have narrowed my search for the next speakers and Kef Reference 1 Meta is one of them. 
regards
Zoran
(18-Dec-2022, 11:15)Cylob Wrote: I wouldn't invest any money at this point and wait for their next move.

Second that. It is so strange that in one day they marked all ExpertPro line products as "out of the box". 
I think we will either see a completely new line of products or remodeled/renamed / with new prices or... they will announce some other decision. I vote for the first option.
(18-Dec-2022, 12:22)frejo Wrote: Yes, getting another 220 and going for a 440 is an option, of course. I, however, prefer the 250 over the 440. That may depend on the speaker used though. With the 440 you also need two power cables and a digital cable, and they should be of rather good quality, in my experience. They also take up twice the space. Decisions decisions....

+ 1 
I already added the Ansuz switch and waiting for the Innuos streamer to be attached on Devialet. It is already not an all-in-one solution (in my case). 
besides that have another system: Pass Labs + Lampizator + Auralic streamer .... so many power, interconnect, lan cables, that I started thinking about Kii 3 Smile
(19-Dec-2022, 00:16)zoran_pavlovic Wrote:
(18-Dec-2022, 03:10)winiar560 Wrote:
(17-Dec-2022, 20:22)zoran_pavlovic Wrote:  many thanks for the answer and impressions. You said that the remote is nicer ? I thought they share the same remote unit? I found it now on YT, yes, looks nicer. Anyhow, the price difference is high, I might rather go after 440 (2 x 220). 
Regards

many thanks @winiar560 for the great advice and for sharing your experience here. 
I am not sure I will go up to 1000 (at least not next year) so that's why going towards 440 Pro is more likely. 
Also depends on my next speakers. 
Btw, I see you are running Kef Reference 1. Are you satisfied with the sound and what is the size of your room? I have narrowed my search for the next speakers and Kef Reference 1 Meta is one of them. 
regards
Zoran
Hi there Zoran.
Ive ended with kef reference 1 after trying some different speakers (focal sopra1,dynaudio contour 30i,audio physic tempo plus,and focal diablo utopia lll).

From all of the above I liked focal sopra 1 and Kef reference 1 best but unfortunately ive sold the sopras to fund the kefs so couldn't compare them directly although think I still preffer Kef reference 1 by quite a bit.
My room is only about 16 sq m so its on the small side and also a living room.
I found that a Kef reference 1 have a thunderous bass and power for a standmount and can compare with small floorstanders easy.

Just a note i did have some problems with their bass (room modes) but after messing with a room measurements and applying some filters to remove the bumps under 100 Hz ,the kefs gave me one of the best sound ive heard (in my room).

As for the choice between 250 pro and 440 pro it would also be related what kind of speakers will you run with them, but my (personal) opinion based on (my) experience with them I would still chose 440 pro instead of 250 pro ,but that's me.

Hope it helps you a little going in the right direction.

Note that 440 pro is generally a warmer king of sound and 250 or 1000 pro going more onto neutral side of the spectrum (I found 440 pro more pleasant to listen to,especially a longer sessions).
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug