Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it worth moving from Expert Pro 220 CI to Expert Pro 250 CI?
(19-Dec-2022, 16:09)winiar560 Wrote: Note that 440 pro is generally a warmer king of sound and 250 or 1000 pro going more onto neutral side of the spectrum (I found 440 pro more pleasant to listen to,especially a longer sessions).

This is quite interesting, when I have compared them I think it has been the other way around. I think that the 250pro is a bit easier on the ear on top than the 220/440. I wrote something about this here a couple of years ago, called Fun event with Dev and Magico.
Of course, this is only my highly subjective take on this, but perhaps it also means that you simply have to try for yourself.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
Hi @winiar560
many thanks for the comprehensive answer 
" Ive ended with kef reference 1 after trying some different speakers (focal sopra1,dynaudio contour 30i,audio physic tempo plus,and focal diablo utopia lll)." 

Yes, that's somehow what I was looking for (except dynaudio). And narrowed my search towards Kef and Focals. But, my local dealer told me this morning that the waiting time for Sopra's is around 4 months. 

"My room is only about 16 sq m so its on the small side and also a living room.
I found that a Kef reference 1 have a thunderous bass and power for a standmount and can compare with small floorstanders easy." 
My room is bigger, 7,5 x 4,5 something around 33,34 sq m. But I really don't like floorstanders, in order, not to be dominant in the living room. That's why I would rather opt for bookshelves + subs (if needed) 

"Just a note i did have some problems with their bass (room modes) but after messing with a room measurements and applying some filters to remove the bumps under 100 Hz ,the kefs gave me one of the best sound ive heard (in my room)."
Thanks for this info, I have mic and REW software, so I will play with DSP. Anyhow, nice to hear that you like the sound of Meta, knowing that before them, you already had and listened to other great speakers. 

And one question: it is very interesting they're advertised as: 3 ways speaker. What is very rare for bookshelves. Do you have that feeling, they play like 3 ways speakers? 

"As for the choice between 250 pro and 440 pro it would also be related what kind of speakers will you run with them, but my (personal) opinion based on (my) experience with them I would still chose 440 pro instead of 250 pro ,but that's me." 
Probably the same speaker you run now Smile 

"Hope it helps you a little going in the right direction." 
Absolutely, and many thanks for your answer. Much appreciated. 

Well, another question about the stands: did you purchase KEF stands S-RFI, or did you put them on other ones? 

"Note that 440 pro is generally a warmer king of sound and 250 or 1000 pro going more onto neutral side of the spectrum (I found 440 pro more pleasant to listen to,especially a longer sessions)."

Good to know. 

many thanks and kind regards 
Zoran
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
(19-Dec-2022, 20:39)zoran_pavlovic Wrote: Hi @winiar560
many thanks for the comprehensive answer 
" Ive ended with kef reference 1 after trying some different speakers (focal sopra1,dynaudio contour 30i,audio physic tempo plus,and focal diablo utopia lll)." 

Yes, that's somehow what I was looking for (except dynaudio). And narrowed my search towards Kef and Focals. But, my local dealer told me this morning that the waiting time for Sopra's is around 4 months. 

"My room is only about 16 sq m so its on the small side and also a living room.
I found that a Kef reference 1 have a thunderous bass and power for a standmount and can compare with small floorstanders easy." 
My room is bigger, 7,5 x 4,5 something around 33,34 sq m. But I really don't like floorstanders, in order, not to be dominant in the living room. That's why I would rather opt for bookshelves + subs (if needed) 

"Just a note i did have some problems with their bass (room modes) but after messing with a room measurements and applying some filters to remove the bumps under 100 Hz ,the kefs gave me one of the best sound ive heard (in my room)."
Thanks for this info, I have mic and REW software, so I will play with DSP. Anyhow, nice to hear that you like the sound of Meta, knowing that before them, you already had and listened to other great speakers. 

And one question: it is very interesting they're advertised as: 3 ways speaker. What is very rare for bookshelves. Do you have that feeling, they play like 3 ways speakers? 

"As for the choice between 250 pro and 440 pro it would also be related what kind of speakers will you run with them, but my (personal) opinion based on (my) experience with them I would still chose 440 pro instead of 250 pro ,but that's me." 
Probably the same speaker you run now Smile 

"Hope it helps you a little going in the right direction." 
Absolutely, and many thanks for your answer. Much appreciated. 

Well, another question about the stands: did you purchase KEF stands S-RFI, or did you put them on other ones? 

"Note that 440 pro is generally a warmer king of sound and 250 or 1000 pro going more onto neutral side of the spectrum (I found 440 pro more pleasant to listen to,especially a longer sessions)."

Good to know. 

many thanks and kind regards 
Zoran

Hi Zoran
Just read your last message and to clarify mine are just the original ordinary Kef reference 1 (non meta) and expecting meta to be noticeably better.

I do think they play like the 3 way speakers ,thats probably why they're so powerfully as bass unit dont do double or triple duty.

So far I have not invested in the original reference stands but usinge them with Dunedin stand 20 speaker stands to a good result ,but understand would get the best out of them when put on their dedicated stands (in future possibly).
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
Hi @winiar560
thanks for the answer.
"Hi Zoran
Just read your last message and to clarify mine are just the original ordinary Kef reference 1 (non meta) and expecting meta to be noticeably better.
I do think they play like the 3 way speakers ,thats probably why they're so powerfully as bass unit dont do double or triple duty.: "

Yeah, that's true.
Anyhow, If/when purchasing Meta 1, I'll come back with impressions Smile
Regards
Zoran
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
(19-Dec-2022, 17:19)frejo Wrote:
(19-Dec-2022, 16:09)winiar560 Wrote: Note that 440 pro is generally a warmer king of sound and 250 or 1000 pro going more onto neutral side of the spectrum (I found 440 pro more pleasant to listen to,especially a longer sessions).

This is quite interesting, when I have compared them I think it has been the other way around. I think that the 250pro is a bit easier on the ear on top than the 220/440. I wrote something about this here a couple of years ago, called Fun event with Dev and Magico.
Of course, this is only my highly subjective take on this, but perhaps it also means that you simply have to try for yourself.

I have a 220 Pro and a 250 Pro.  I find the 250 Pro to be a bit fuller, slightly more natural sounding.  It definitely has better transient response.  
I agree it's subjective,  speakers and room interactions play a huge role. For me, the 250 has enough power that I don't feel the need to upgrade to a 440 or a 1000.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB