Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Phantom voyage
Kef LSX randomly placed on some stands. Not quite the power or sound of the Phantom though, but better for music as I prefer stereo over mono. If I'm able to get a stereo pair of Phantoms the LSXs are gone.

Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
While I'm waiting for a faulty Phantom Silver to emerge.

I had to add a couple of micro subs to add some more oomph.
My Phantom Voyage
Nice retro cabinet.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(16-Jan-2023, 05:42)Pim Wrote: Nice retro cabinet.
Thanks! It can hold about 100 LPs and still have a lot of room for all sorts of hifi gadgets needing to be hidden.
My Phantom Voyage
What's your opinion on the KEFs?
(19-Jan-2023, 20:12)Bbnsound Wrote: What's your opinion on the KEFs?

I really like them, despite the lack of bass and the dodgy app KEF is providing. The ability to do some EQing and make different presets is nice. I like the adjustable subwoofer x-over too, even if it's mono. Soundwise they're pleasant and detailed at the same time. They can't keep up with the Phantom in volume or bass, but I didn't expect that either. And I do love a good, old remote and the ability to use the speakers without WiFi or internet. As you may understand, the tiny boxes are growing on me. One thing I really dislike though, is integrating subwoofers and speakers. It's a pain and takes forever, and the LSX really needs subwoofer(s) to fill in the lowest octaves.

Edit:
I forgot to mention the price. A pair of lightly used LSXs is about €500-600 here in Norway. That's a steal in my opinion. I got a real bargain and paid about the same for the subwoofers and speakers, in total. I wouldn't get half a Phantom II for that price, so I'm really happy.
My Phantom Voyage
Thanks for your take on that. I used to have a pair of LS50 next to my Golds and it didn't take long for me to sell the KEFs again. But I never added a subwoofer and I fully agree, the value is great. Moreover, there are some benefits the KEFs have (like a remote control for exmaple) Smile
New project!

The Phantom II is unknown territory for me. Does anybody know how to disassemble it? Can't find any guides online.
My Phantom Voyage
Found a video thanks to @ogs.

Not straight forward, but doable. I will post pictures of the process.
My Phantom Voyage
Another Phantom project!
While waiting for the internals for the Phantom II showing up somewhere nearby, a Phantom Silver arrived at my doorstep.

This one is special! It turns all music into an 80's fuzz-orama. Two small dents in the mid driver has turned the speaker into a very effective FX-box with only one setting; fuzz turned up to 11! That's perfect for very experimental jazz or death metal, but for everything else, it's quite annoying. Here are the culprits.

As the Phantom is upgradable to DOS2, the low latency optical mode is easy accessible. Therefore my next experiment is straight forward. Can a Phantom be used as a subwoofer? Short answer, yes it can. A cheap CYP ADC connected to the subwoofer output of the KEF LSX, an optical cable between the ADC and Phantom and voilà; a Phantom subwoofer.

How does it sound? Like a subwoofer, a really tight one. Highly recommended if you have a faulty-ish Phantom to spare.
My Phantom Voyage