Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not playing DTS
I have just updated the software to version 2.16.1 and noticed that my movies in DTS do not play through HDMI connection. Has anyone else noticed this and anyway to resolve it as I have many DTS only movies?

Thanks
Yes and no. Yes - it does not play DTS natively. But I can switch my Sony BD Player to PCM output.
The Dione recognises it correctly. And the output seems not to show any difference.
I won't think the Sony BD is doing the decoding any worse the Dione does. Maybe other way round as Sony is one of the major player in Audio/Video market.
So maybe it could be an option to keep PCM output setting even for Dolby Atmos.
(11-Dec-2022, 15:13)hulster Wrote: Yes and no. Yes - it does not play DTS natively. But I can switch my Sony BD Player to PCM output.
The Dione recognises it correctly. And the output seems not to show any difference.
I won't think the Sony BD is doing the decoding any worse the Dione does. Maybe other way round as Sony is one of the major player in Audio/Video market.

It can also depend on TV compatibilty with DTS.
DTS could be decoded either by TV or BD player. TV could either decode to PCM or transcode to Dolby (I don't know if any TV is able to do that even if some TV offer the choice to force output to Dolby).
If you keep PCM output for Dolby Atmos, you will loose upward channels and I think you will also loose in global dynamic.

It is hard to know what is happening in a HDMI setup. HDMI is a mess.
(22-Mar-2023, 11:10)kraken Wrote:
(11-Dec-2022, 15:13)hulster Wrote: Yes and no. Yes - it does not play DTS natively. But I can switch my Sony BD Player to PCM output.

It can also depend on TV compatibilty with DTS.
DTS could be decoded either by TV or BD player. TV could either decode to PCM or transcode to Dolby (I don't know if any TV is able to do that even if some TV offer the choice to force output to Dolby).
If you keep PCM output for Dolby Atmos, you will loose upward channels and I think you will also loose in global dynamic.

It is hard to know what is happening in a HDMI setup. HDMI is a mess.

No - it is not any mistake. It is mentione in the Diones spec that it does NOT decode DTS. And that is a mess for this price.
Further - I do not know any device doing transcoding.  Just decoding to LPCM is usual.
But youi loose information, as you mentioned. If you decode Dolby Atmos do PCM you will loose the Atmos information.
For the price of the Dione I expect to get the max sound quality available by source.
The Dione should decode DTS.
Hope they will make it available by update.
I can't find where you see that DTS is supported.
Anyway I also think that for this price I should be supported, even if for the moment it didn't ever been an issue for me. I mostly using streaming platform, and even with some DVD/Bluray there's often a Dolby track.
(24-Mar-2023, 10:16)kraken Wrote: I can't find where you see that DTS is supported.
Anyway I also think that for this price I should be supported, even if for the moment it didn't ever been an issue for me. I mostly using streaming platform, and even with some DVD/Bluray there's often a Dolby track.

Sorry I missed a word, I have corrected it in the original post:

"It is mentione in the Diones spec that it does NOT decode DTS. And that is a mess for this price. "

Otherwise my statement would not make sense.
I own a lot DVD and BR with DTS, so for me it is an issue. For streaming I would agree.

It is really a bit embarrassing. My former Denon AVR-1600H was able to decode DTS for  fifth of the price of the Dione.
So neither the hardware(if any) nor the licence costs could be an issue.