Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One year after 13.2.0
@David A, editing the configuration file to restore a previous known-correct version is rather different to editing it to change a setting. The file contains a CRC and will not be considered valid if the contents don't CRC to the correct value; in that case the amp will reject the file and fall back to the default configuration.

The first step in any "do-it-yourself" approach would be to determine the exact type of CRC (polynomial, reflection, etc.) Devialet use and what contents of the file it covers (e.g. whether or not it includes white space, line endings, etc.). There are very many possible combinations. Believe me, I have tried, but not yet found one that works.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(13-May-2022, 21:27)thumb5 Wrote: @David A, editing the configuration file to restore a previous known-correct version is rather different to editing it to change a setting.  The file contains a CRC and will not be considered valid if the contents don't CRC to the correct value; in that case the amp will reject the file and fall back to the default configuration.

The first step in any "do-it-yourself" approach would be to determine the exact type of CRC (polynomial, reflection, etc.) Devialet use and what contents of the file it covers (e.g. whether or not it includes white space, line endings, etc.).  There are very many possible combinations.  Believe me, I have tried, but not yet found one that works.

I suspected there might be some "gotchas" involved which is why I said in my last paragraph that Devialet would at the least provide a very complete guide to the creation and editing of config files. A stand alone app we could use on our own computers would very much be the preferable option and, if they were going to do that, I think it should be possible to include their whole library of SAM profiles since config files are actually quite small even when they do include a SAM profile. The full library of profiles is probably not all that big a data set.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I recall an Oxford Audio event with Mathieu Pernot where the question was asked; what happens to Expert owners if something happens to Devialet and the Configurator is no longer available on-line?

As part of his answer, Mathieu advised that he had a version of the Configurator that could be used locally on a PC or Mac, and if the on-line Configurator became unavailable for some unforeseen reason, he would be happy to release it to anyone who wants it.

Personally, I doubt this will become an issue anytime soon. If it did for some reason, and assuming Mathieu and probably a few others have access to a "local" version of the Configurator, I am sure a solution would emerge.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I don’t know why people are so worried about the configurator in the first place. Devialet are changing course because there’s more money in Phantoms than Experts. That means they’re less likely to close up shop, not more likely. So, there is nothing to worry about. Live on and enjoy the music.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(17-May-2022, 00:00)Pim Wrote: I don’t know why people are so worried about the configurator in the first place. Devialet are changing course because there’s more money in Phantoms than Experts. That means they’re less likely to close up shop, not more likely. So, there is nothing to worry about. Live on and enjoy the music.

I agree with @Pim.

I believe that the health of Devialet's business with the phantoms and now the Dione after the earbuds is an insurance for the Expert line.

Also, and I know that not everyone will agree with my statement, I am convinced that the Expert is far enough in its maturity curve that the marginal improvement of any new feature is much lower in terms of ROI compared to Devialet's other products. That does not mean at all that the Experts are not here to stay.

Bugs are annoying and it is always frustrating that they are not fixed. When you are missing a feature, you get focused on it.
But honestly, between the physical connectivity, UPnP, Airplay, Room, Air and Spotify connect I suspect that any addition would be very marginal.

It is more critical in my opinion that Devialet continues to measure and add new speakers to SAM for the longevity and futureproofness of the Experts.

My two cents.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(17-May-2022, 06:40)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(17-May-2022, 00:00)Pim Wrote: I don’t know why people are so worried about the configurator in the first place. Devialet are changing course because there’s more money in Phantoms than Experts. That means they’re less likely to close up shop, not more likely. So, there is nothing to worry about. Live on and enjoy the music.

I agree with @Pim.

I believe that the health of Devialet's business with the phantoms and now the Dione after the earbuds is an insurance for the Expert line.

Also, and I know that not everyone will agree with my statement, I am convinced that the Expert is far enough in its maturity curve that the marginal improvement of any new feature is much lower in terms of ROI compared to Devialet's other products. That does not mean at all that the Experts are not here to stay.

Bugs are annoying and it is always frustrating that they are not fixed. When you are missing a feature, you get focused on it.
But honestly, between the physical connectivity, UPnP, Airplay, Room, Air and Spotify connect I suspect that any addition would be very marginal.

It is more critical in my opinion that Devialet continues to measure and add new speakers to SAM for the longevity and futureproofness of the Experts.

My two cents.

Jean-Marie

I have 27 Roon Ready devices in my house. We are dependent on continuing software support for many products. Devialet Expert Pro has been nothing but pleasure. My wife uses Phantom all day, every day, in her clinic, with Roon.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
Well though this is about Expert line ;-)
And try to do some stuff with the outdated Expert Remote app - which also got neglected.
So maybe pushing support to somehow provide a feedback is the only way to get heard at least.

It would be so sad as we were just at the beginning of the CI journey and they promised a lot of innovation and improvements.
I got a very „cryptic“ reply via social media:

We don’t have any updates to give you right now but there will be further changes to Expert in the future. As soon as we’re able to tell you more, we’ll be in touch.

„Changes“ is a very broad term. Could also be changes in the teams that were happening - and even more will leave the Expert line team 8-D
(17-May-2022, 06:40)Jean-Marie Wrote:

I agree with @Pim.

My two cents.

Jean-Marie

I have 27 Roon Ready devices in my house. We are dependent on continuing software support for many products. Devialet Expert Pro has been nothing but pleasure. My wife uses Phantom all day, every day, in her clinic, with Roon.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
(17-May-2022, 06:40)Jean-Marie Wrote: But honestly, between the physical connectivity, UPnP, Airplay, Room, Air and Spotify connect I suspect that any addition would be very marginal.

I for one am really happy with the feature set that Devialet offers. Actually RAAT support was the one thing that made Devialet the device I always wanted. The only new feature I'm waiting for is that they would add the configurator on the device directly. It has a web interface where you can change stuff already, why not put the whole configurator there. It could save the configuration to the internal storage and use that if sd card isn't there. Then the device would be self contained and not reliant on the Devialet website or some standalone app that will eventually stop working.