Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
PC sound card
(01-Feb-2022, 19:47)frogster99 Wrote:
(26-Jan-2022, 20:50)ogs Wrote: That looks like a very good buy! Hope the 5V from your PC is clean. Please report your findings..
Super clean clear sound upto 24/96 anything over that and you get distortion not sure if it's the phantoms that just can't handle it?

Strange, I would have thought it would just downsample like the network-based inputs.

Are you using the standard optical input? If so you might want to try direct optical. Unlike the standard input which downsamples to 24/48 direct optical will allow you to play at 24/96.

It is a bit of a faff, you need a wired connection to configure and need to use the web interface as Direct Optical bypasses DOS so you can’t use the app. But if you want 24/96..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(01-Feb-2022, 21:55)struts Wrote:
(26-Jan-2022, 20:50)ogs Wrote: That looks like a very good buy! Hope the 5V from your PC is clean. Please report your findings..
Super clean clear sound upto 24/96 anything over that and you get distortion not sure if it's the phantoms that just can't handle it?

Strange, I would have thought it would just downsample like the network-based inputs.

Are you using the standard optical input?  If so you might want to try direct optical.  Unlike the standard input which downsamples to 24/48 direct optical will allow you to play at 24/96.

It is a bit of a faff, you need a wired connection to configure and need to use the web interface as Direct Optical bypasses DOS so you can’t use the app.  But if you want 24/96..

I also thought it would take the 24/192 feed and just downsample but it doesn't, it will take 24/96 no problem, I don't know if it then down samples. I know it can only handle a maximum of 24/96 so that's fine but I thought again it would just down sample the 24/192 instead it just doesn't play it. 
Is there a way to actually see what sample rate the phantom is getting? 

Apart from @struts ' suggestion on using "optical direct" I have little to add. How do you control volume? If the distortion you hear changes when the level going to the USB device is lowered, the distortion is digital clipping.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(01-Feb-2022, 23:28)ogs Wrote:

Apart from @struts ' suggestion on using "optical direct" I have little to add. How do you control volume? If the distortion you hear changes when the level going to the USB device is lowered, the distortion is digital clipping.

Not clipping, it's more like a fuzzy sound at any volume, think it's the phantom that can't convert the 24/192 audio.
I'm so happy with the 24/96 with no dropouts and I can now use the Amazon Hi-Res music service saving me money on Tidal and Roon.
(01-Feb-2022, 23:26)frogster99 Wrote: I also thought it would take the 24/192 feed and just downsample but it doesn't, it will take 24/96 no problem, I don't know if it then down samples. I know it can only handle a maximum of 24/96 so that's fine but I thought again it would just down sample the 24/192 instead it just doesn't play it. 
Is there a way to actually see what sample rate the phantom is getting? 

Yes and no. Roon has a feature called Signal Path where it reports what is happening to the signal downstream so you can see if/where the signal is being sample rate converted. This is clearly dependent on it receiving the correct information from the downstream system.

Up until the latest Phantom firmware, 2.14, this appeared to be showing the correct information (although there is almost no way to verify it - except the below), however in the latest release it has stopped reporting the downsampling to 24/48 although it is still clearly happening. I have logged tickets with both Devialet and Roon (although it appears to be the Devialet firmware update that has broken it)*.

The only other way to test that I am aware of is to measure and analyse the actual sound coming out of the speaker. This is how I have verified that low-pass filtering and/or downsampling to 24/48 is still taking place even with 2.14 (at least on RAAT and UPnP) even though the Roon signal path is now reporting that 24/96 material is being reproduced losslessly.

So the situation appears to be as per the specs on the Devialet website. In DOS RAAT, UPnP and Toslink are all limited to 24/96 at the input, and everything north of 24/48 is downsampled to that before DAC. However when used in Optical Direct mode Toslink provides a full 24/96 signal path.

* On 22/2 I received a response from Devialet confirming that the reporting of signals >24/48 as being reproduced losslessly is indeed a regression bug introduced in 2.14.4 and will be fixed in an upcoming firmware release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i did forget to update this thread, it was an issue with my optical cable, after installing a better branded cable i can play 24/192 to the phantoms without much issue. The right phantom drops out sometimes but as we know this is a Devialet issue i don't think they can fix.
So the usb Dac is amazing just issues with the phantoms.
(20-Apr-2022, 14:25)frogster99 Wrote: RE: i did forget to update this thread, it was an issue with my optical cable, after installing a better branded cable i can play 24/192 to the phantoms without much issue. 

HI frogster99 - are you using optical direct mode to get 24/192 ?
(23-Apr-2022, 07:42)scotthar Wrote:
(20-Apr-2022, 14:25)frogster99 Wrote: RE: i did forget to update this thread, it was an issue with my optical cable, after installing a better branded cable i can play 24/192 to the phantoms without much issue. 

HI frogster99 - are you using optical direct mode to get 24/192 ?

no still in standard mode.