Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLC networking
PLC is Power Line Communication. Mostly called Homeplug. I have no personal experience with PLC, but I've read that Phantoms should be plugged to the same power strip for best result. Ethernet is probably even better (i.e. each Phantom connected to a switch port) - depends on how good the PLC of Phantoms is.
If you swap L/R Phantoms, does the dropout pattern follow?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(10-Apr-2022, 21:48)ogs Wrote: PLC is Power Line Communication. Mostly called Homeplug. I have no personal experience with PLC, but I've read that Phantoms should be plugged to the same power strip for best result. Ethernet is probably even better (i.e. each Phantom connected to a switch port) - depends on how good the PLC of Phantoms is.
If you swap L/R Phantoms, does the dropout pattern follow?

Odd thing is they've been set up in stereo via ethernet with optical into one of them - each Phantom hardwired to the same router switch via ethernet. Never had this problem the past two years with the Phantom II; it has been rock solid. But when I installed the refurb Phantom I pair they automatically did a firmware upgrade and the problem now exists with all Phantoms in the house. It has to be a software issue. Been no other changes in hardware, routers etc. When streaming to other speakers in the house with Chromecast the dropouts do not occur.

I've no idea why Devialet asked me to switch from "Auto" to "PLC". Makes no sense to me but maybe they're searching for a bug. I've seen in other threads here this is not an isolated occurrence. And, it doesn't appear there has yet been a fix. I did read Devialet is aware of the problem. Who knows. But it is completely annoying as firmware and app updates can't be rolled back.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
Oh, that is a pain in the .... did you try RAAT direct to Phantoms? You'll temporary bypass SHD and Mutec, but just to see if dropouts persist
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
How would I do that? Do you mean simply using Roon Ready (wireless)? I only use Roon for music playback. Thx.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Well, if your Phantoms and ROCK are wired to the same switch Roon Ready could work directly - you do run DHCP on your network? Easy to check actually... if/when you can see Phantoms in Roon Settings=>Audio, just enable and go... I think it is best to use ethernet for this. Wifi may give additional trouble. You will have to set up Phantoms as a pair for RAAT to work. The pairing you've done already might be enough, I don't know. Maybe @struts can help us out here?
Devialetless!
(11-Apr-2022, 18:57)supaDean Wrote: How would I do that? Do you mean simply using Roon Ready (wireless)? I only use Roon for music playback. Thx.

You'll find the speakers in the Settings - Audio menu. They will be listed as Roon Ready.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(11-Apr-2022, 19:30)ogs Wrote: Maybe @struts can help us out here?

Happy to help if I can.  However, rather than testing PLC or RAAT in the first instance I have another idea.

@supaDean, I concur with your suspicion that this is a firmware issue in the Phantoms.  Possibly introduced in the latest 2.14.4 firmware release (which was concurrent with the release of 1.17 of the App).  And given your configuration there is actually a way to test this fairly easily.  Phantoms have an operating mode called "Direct Optical" which bypasses DOS and effectively turns the Phantom into a "dumb" digital speaker (i.e. no streaming functionality, no DSP, no wi-fi etc.).  Since the App controls the speaker via DOS it no longer functions in Direct Optical mode which must be configured via the web interface, and since it bypasses most of the software-enabled functionality like wi-fi the speakers have to be connected by wired ethernet.  But you have all the prerequisites: an ethernet-connected stereo pair fed via the optical input.

So if you reconfigure your existing setup to use Direct Optical you will have changed nothing except for bypassing DOS.  If this cures the dropouts then it more-or-less proves that they are firmware-related, if it doesn't it more-or-less proves they are network-related.  

Can't understand why Devialet support has not suggested this themselves since it could potentially not only help pinpoint the problem but also provide a viable short-term or even long-term workaround.   Huh

You can find instructions on how to enable Direct Optical mode here.
[mention]supaDean [/mention] Did you manage to try this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi and thanks all.

I've been busy with work so sorry for the tardy reply. Honestly I'm not very keen to try and fix / troubleshoot what is a Devialet problem. I've already spent too much time on it. And I haven't sent in my bill to Devialet for services rendered ! I didn't have a problem with the pair of Reactors (Phantom II 98dB) set up in 2-channel stereo. The problem is the Phantom Premier and Roon I'm quite certain. With the Phantom I being "Roon Ready" this isn't acceptable. Plus I'm too old. I just want things to work, especially a high end product like the Phantoms. It's part of what I'm paying for! Case in point, I just returned to the original setup of the pair of Reactors in stereo. No issues. Optical in from a preamp, with an ethernet cable hooked up from one Reactor to the other. Hard-wired and stable. No burps / dropouts in the audio playback. This exact setup did not work with the 2-channel setup of the Phantom I Premiers - there were audio dropouts. I'm using the latest version of firmware and the latest version of the iOS app.

I purchased the pair of Phantom I Premier as a two-channel upgrade path with the thought I'd use the Reactors in other areas of the house, or sell them.

I've currently returned one Phantom I Premier to Devialet because of cosmetic damage when the unit arrived. I'm tempted to return the one I have here, and perhaps spend a bit more for a pair of refurb Phantom I Silver. Specs are slightly better and from what I've read no stability issues. I'd like to work out a deal with Devialet if I can; this experience has not been stellar, which is unfortunate. My past experience with Devialet has been excellent.

Alternatively I can wait for the damaged Phantom I to be replaced, and try once again to see if they will seamlessly work with Roon in the same setup I have with the Reactors. If not THEN make the choice to return them for a refund or pay a bit more for the Phantom I Silvers.

What do you guys think?

P.S. The direct optical cable mode.... does it support stereo plackback? Anyone know?

Cheers and thanks.

(16-Apr-2022, 01:56)supaDean Wrote: with an ethernet cable hooked up from one Reactor to the other.

I may be wrong here, but I don't think a direct cable will work with Premers. Each Premier will need a ethernet connection to a switch and receive a IP address from DHCP. I do not own a pair so I apologize if this is old information and not correct anymore. @ragwo ? @struts ?
Devialetless!