Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLC vs WI-FI stability (commercial use)
Exclamation 
Hi guys, in reffering to my previous post https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Ethernet...ng-problem where i got lags with WI-FI network i want to continue in new Thread with another question.

I have a setup with 2 x Phantom Silver + 2 x Reactor 600 paired to each other and connected to hi-fi player through aux. We are using them in restaurant.

After few months of monitoring i can say that PLC is more stable, but one phantom silver somethimes still get choke with sound interrupts. It happens much rarerly than with WI-FI, 1-2 times per week in absolutely random order.

It's so bad when our guests see, how we forced to reboot "choked" phantom - it brings Devialet bad reputation in commercial use.

I can't understand, it's about bad signal or software lags after continusly uptime within 3-4 days, because i never swith them to stand by mode, i just turn off the player.
  • Should phantom software handle 100% uptime or speakers should rest ?
  • Anybody know, does DIALOG increases wi-fi / plc stability in this case?
Many thanks in advance for help.
PLC stability is good when all Phantoms are on the same circuit. Clearly, that is not possible in a restaurant. For wifi. It has to be very stable; perhaps a mesh network could help? Dialog will not help stability.

Please report this to Devialet support. There are no official Devialet presence here. There are only users here and I am not sure how many use it in a commercial environment.
Ohh... Only now, when i started search about mesh network i found , that PLC needs adapters which i never bought )) So all this time, that speakers turned to PLC mode (in devialet app) they uses common wi-fi due disabled PLC network (right?)  Big Grin . I assumed, that Devialet keeps PLC modules inside of speakers , something like dedicated channel through current wif-fi network.

Thank you Sir, 
Highly appreciated your idea!!!  Rolleyes
PLC is Power Line Connector, which uses the power cord of the Phantoms to communicate with one another. It does not need an adaptor; PLC is standard.

Can you please try the following:
Using some long extension cords, connect all Phantoms to 1 power board. PLC works best when the Phantoms are on 1 electrical circuit. See whether the dropouts occur.

PLC can give problems if using different electrical circuits, in places where the circuits are old and where there are many other electrical equipment. I suspect I am describing your restaurant?
There are dedicated PLC modules in the speakers, no need to buy new ones. The speakers go into standby after a while if they don't receive a signal, so turning off your player should be enough. If you are able to use a wired ethernet connection you'll probably get rid of your problems.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Just want to let you know that connecttion to one patch cord solved all issues

Thanks for help dudes!