Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perhaps this is subjective... Phantom I / Phantom II
I've been considering switching from the smaller Phantom II 98 dB (previously named the Phantom Reactor 900) to the larger Phantom I 103dB... the most economical approach via Devialet's upgrade program. But unsure if it is worth it. I'd be left with one pair of "Legs" which I'd have to sell privately, and then purchase new stands for the new Phantoms. My room is rather small at 14ft x 13.8ft.

Is there such an improvement in fidelity moving up the line that this "upgrade" would make sense? Thoughts from those who have done so or are familiar with both of these Phantoms... would be great to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

A couple of images of my current setup:

[Image: lXkRMkg.jpg][Image: 2ozJp8z.jpg]
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
When I was investigating speakers I auditioned the original Phantom. I went further down that rabbit hole and ended up very happy but poor (per my sig). I recently saw a deal on a Reactor 600 so bought it, and quickly returned it. I guess the lack of a true mid-range driver bothered me. I've enjoyed two-way speakers (KEF LS-50 with a mid/bass driver) but the Reactor didn't get that compromise into acceptable territory for me. So, for this one set of ears the bigger Phantom is much better than the smaller phantom. Too bad because the little Reactor was very cute.
It may be a subjective question, but there are a few objective differences too. The Phantom II has the advantage that most of the mid and highs are handled by one driver. This can (in theory anyway) lead to better coherency from mid to top as there is no splitting of mid/treble in the critical 2 - 4kHz region. But the II has a fairly high transition frequency from the woofers to the "full range" at 525Hz.

The Phantom I has three divers. You'll immediately notice the difference when midrange has it's own driver. The bass drivers have larger surface area, but your room may not need the additional bass capacity compared to the Phantom II

If you keep the MiniDSP and use Dirac + have the Mutec in the chain I believe you will get a nice improvement in SQ with a pair of Phantom I 103. You'll gain some transparency and naturalness in the bass region, the midrange will be more satisfactory.

The crucial factor will be if Dirac can do proper time alignment of the 103. I guess it can. You may need to work a bit on this though..
And the Mutec is always "the icing on the cake" Smile
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Thanks for your thoughts. Appreciate your taking the time. I'll let you know what I decide. Cheers.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Hey folks. A quick update. So, I decided to hold off. I find I'm really enjoying the setup for the room as is. And while there would be an improvement in sound fidelity, for the cost I couldn't justify it. Part of the reason is that Devialet doesn't offer any trade-in value for their stands. New stands for the bigger Phantoms alone would cost CAD$900.

In any event, I'm thankful to have a decent sound system to begin with, especially during the pandemic when practising social distancing as much as possible.

Cheers.

PS.... I finally got around to taking much better images of the setup with closeups of the gear for those that are interested. I'll post them on "Your Systems".

I think that is a good choice!
I'll get a pair of Phantom II Custom the moment I can afford it. I'll need a Mutec too so that cost must be included as I'd like to have the Mutec from the start. The plan is to use tall stands (around 90cm) and tilt the speakers so they play straight ahead. That's the theory anyway...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Hmmm... refurb Phantom 1 Classics are a decent price point without any trade in. Seriously considering.

Update: Ordered them! I've now the option of selling the pair of Phantom II 98dB with matching "Legs" stands, or keeping them as a second system.