Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom 108DB Ethernet Link Speed
Hi all,

I've just got a new Phantom 108 direct from Devialet but am a bit disappointed to find that it does not appear to connect over Ethernet at 1Gb/s like my slightly older Glossy Phantom Golds do. I've tested this on a few different network switches so it's definitely the new Phantom that's the problem. Basically the old ones always have a link speed of 1Gb/s but the new one will only connect at 100Mb/s as can be seen with all 3 attached to my Devolo triple powerline adapter. The spec on the Devialet website says Ethernet RJ-45 10/100/1000 Mbps (Gigabit) so I kind of expected  the device to be as stated! I can't decide if this is Devialet scrimping on components (and hoping we don't notice) or if I've just got a duff one. Has anyone else noticed this? 

The other thing I've noticed, and I think this was mentioned on another thread is that on the new model there is no Network Interfaces option in the app which I assume means the PLC networking has been removed and you have to either set Ethernet or WiFi when you first set it up and that's it, a factory reset is required if you want to change. This all seems like a backwards step to me. 

Hi @Laura

Yes I have two new Phantom 1’s and I too do not have the option to select connection via Wi-Fi or PLC. Suggestion is that due to lack of chips Devialet has removed PLC option so you either have to connect to Ethernet or use the Wi-Fi option if your Phantoms are close enough to your router to get a good connection. I don’t my connection is poor due to distance and I get dropouts constantly so have had to go to Ethernet.

My phantoms also only connect at 100 mbps so maybe this is also a limitation they have adopted due to chip availability. I never checked my old phantoms so cannot say if they were 1gb or not.

Having said that I have read other comments that for hifi a speed of 100 mbps is preferable to gb speeds. I think that Innuos Phoenix switch is purposely build with 100 mbps ports.

Still very devious by Devialet and people that have slightly older phantom 1’s are benefitting from features we are now not getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@Laura This definitely calls for a clarification from Devialet... support@devialet.com should (ought to) be able to provide an answer about this. Are your old pair and the new one running the same firmware?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
@steve_denney

Thanks for the clarification and I agree. I don't see any advantage to limiting the network speed but it's likely good enough, its just the sneaky way it seems to have been implemented and on the connection side the fact that a factory reset appears to be required if I want to move from Ethernet to Wifi. 

@ogs

Yep, Devialet support is my next step especially since they are still advertising them as having 1Gb networking, I just wanted to confirm that it wasn't just me before contacting them. All three Phantoms are on firmware version 2.14.4
Yes, be interesting to hear what Devialet say to you @Laura.

I would think there’s a cause for money off if they are advertising features they have not installed. Even maybe a replacement speaker once they reintroduce PLC and gb networking.

There seems to be a growing number of dissatisfied customers again seems Devialet never learn.

Hi all

Just had a look at my new Phantoms, connected by ethernet and my router says they are connected at 1000 mbps if that helps you - not sure that it does.

I didn't have my older glossy Plantoms connected to ethernet - when I used the Elevate program to update to the new matt white ones I took the time waiting for them to arrive to get an ethernet cable in place.

Mine are the 103DB models. In the Devialet app the option to connect via WiFi or PLC is still there.

I'm not sure what to make of this, legally the product should be as advertised I think - I would advise you to get a screen shot of the specs from their website just in case it suddenly changes. I would also bet they have some disclaimers in their Terms and Conditions about changes to advertised specifications though.

kantblue
I think you are lucky and have an earlier production which still has PLC and seemingly also 1 gb network.

My elevated 108 Phantoms are “Q” models. I would suggest anything earlier than “Q” will be typical spec but mine and probably @Laura has been dumbed down due to availability of parts.

Hi Steve

My models are both ‘P’ ones so what you are suggesting makes sense.

It does seem a bit unfair not to have let purchasers know and what would happen if anyone ended up with one of each type for a stereo pair - how would the app deal with that and potential sync/timing issues if that cropped up.

However I would say that provided everything is working for you as it should then maybe it doesn’t matter - if you look at this forum there seems to be quite a bit of discussion about differing hardware changes over time with Devialet even before the current supply issues - which are only likely to get worse with the dreadful situation in Ukraine I think.

Kantblue
Thanks @kantblue

Yes it will be interesting to see how different models cope as a stereo pair. Given Devialet past experiences I would doubt they have given much thought to testing this combo so it will be a “surprise” to them if users start to raise problems.

As you say, my pair seem to be working ok now. I have had to connect using Ethernet to my switch which is a frustration with having more cable clutter than I want, but at least I seem to be stable and can stream 96 kbps files from Qobuz without dropouts.

A quick recommendation for Supra 8 Ethernet cables here. They sound great and are not stupidly priced compared to some Ethernet cables. They fit into the Tree stand easy enough and sit with a QED Toslink cable in there as well. Fitting cables to the Phantom and tree is fiddly but these cables are thin enough so a good recommendation.

Thanks @kantblue & @steve_denney

My new one has a serial number starting Q04P so I assume it's only newer ones that have been dumbed down. I have tried stereo pairing the new one with one of my 1Gb capable glossy Golds and it did seem to work OK through Roon, although I did have to factory reset both of them and start again to make it happen. I am still going to take this up with Devialet and will report back when I get an answer and suspect you are right kantblue, there will likely be disclaimers to cover this.

Steve, just out of interest are you running your network cables as one continuous run, through the stand and into the back of the Phantom instead of using the supplied short cable and connector that sit in the stand?