Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom 108DB Ethernet Link Speed
Hi @Laura

Yes, I thought the cables supplied with the Tree stands would likely be inferior quality. So I pulled out the black Toslink and Ethernet blocks in the bottom of the stands so that a full length can pass through each and go direct into the Phantom.
It actually makes fitting easier too because the longer length of cable can be passed through the Tree and I fit the cable to Phantom off the Tree then get someone to pull the cables as I position the Phantom on the Tree top.

As I mentioned earlier you just need to be careful how thick the cables are and how big the connectors are so they sit in the Phantom and then pass down the tree stand and fit through the block holes. I am using Audioquest cable elsewhere in my system but these would not fit into Phantom so I am using Supra 8 cable. Good compromise all in all.

If Devialet fix the Wi-Fi issue in a later software release I will remove the Ethernet cables so there are less cables everywhere. One reason for going the Phantom route was to rid myself of so many cables in a traditional hifi setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(25-Apr-2022, 14:07)steve_denney Wrote: Hi @Laura

Yes, I thought the cables supplied with the Tree stands would likely be inferior quality. So I pulled out the black Toslink and Ethernet blocks in the bottom of the stands so that a full length can pass through each and go direct into the Phantom.
It actually makes fitting easier too because the longer length of cable can be passed through the Tree and I fit the cable to Phantom off the Tree then get someone to pull the cables as I position the Phantom on the Tree top.

As I mentioned earlier you just need to be careful how thick the cables are and how big the connectors are so they sit in the Phantom and then pass down the tree stand and fit through the block holes. I am using Audioquest cable elsewhere in my system but these would not fit into Phantom so I am using Supra 8 cable. Good compromise all in all.

If Devialet fix the Wi-Fi issue in a later software release I will remove the Ethernet cables so there are less cables everywhere. One reason for going the Phantom route was to rid myself of so many cables in a traditional hifi setup!

I did exact the same as you and then with audioquest diamond toslink and supra cat8 ethernetcables and also audioquest powercables connected on the bottom of the stands. All with good results
[Image: u9jCPGS.jpg]
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
(25-Apr-2022, 14:07)steve_denney Wrote: Hi @Laura

Thanks for the explanation, I was quite surprised to find the network connector in the base was nothing special. I logged my support ticket last night and am awaiting a response. The website still says RJ45 10/100/1000 Mb/s network speed and also boasts Phantom synchronisation via Wi-Fi, Ethernet or PLC!
I've had a response from Devialet support about the Ethernet issues and can confirm that PLC is no longer supported and they are going to remove that feature from the website ASAP. I'm not really bothered about that to be fair. On the Ethernet speed issue, it was confirmed that there has been no speed downgrade from 1Gb/s to 100Mb/s which is good news as that would be a big backwards step! I did some further testing and the issue was the same except when I plugged the Phantom directly into my router it would not connect at all, and when connected to my network switch I ran a cable test and got an error. The only thing left to check was the network link cable inside the tree stand. I took the Phantom off it's stand and pulled the cable out and was surprised to find that the cable was Cat5 (Not Cat5e) which has a max speed 100Mb/s! I changed this cable for a Cat5e and lo and behold 1Gb/s connection! Either my stand is really old and original Phantoms were only 100Mb/s or someone has swapped the cable out for an inferior type. I bought the stand second hand as allegedly ex-demo so who knows, but quite annoying all the same.

The only outstanding issue now is the lack of Network Interfaces menu in the app as that was glossed over in the reply I received.

@steve_denney Do yours still only connect at 100Mb/s since you swapped the cables?

Hi Laura, that's good news - will be interesting to see what Steve_Denny has to say - my cables are all Cat5E or Cat6 which would explain why I've not come across this. Its a lesson learned though.

I'm not too bothered about the PLC option being removed, but having to reset to switch back to WIFI isn't ideal but its unlikely to be something you have to do very often so that would be OK with me.

Congratulations you got Devialet to acknowledge that the PLC option should be removed from their website - I wonder how long it will take Smile

Kantblue
(30-Apr-2022, 15:55)kantblue Wrote: Hi Laura, that's good news - will be interesting to see what Steve_Denny has to say - my cables are all Cat5E or Cat6 which would explain why I've not come across this. Its a lesson learned though.

I'm not too bothered about the PLC option being removed, but having to reset to switch back to WIFI isn't ideal but its unlikely to be something you have to do very often so that would be OK with me.

Congratulations you got Devialet to acknowledge that the PLC option should be removed from their website - I wonder how long it will take Smile

Kantblue

Good question on the website update, I suspect now that they have been called out on it they will want to get it done.

The cable thing was really strange. Unfortunately it's hidden inside the stand so not easy to see what it is, but I wasn't expecting something so old given that Cat5 was deprecated in 2001! I suspect someone swapped the cable out in the stand but god only knows why!!

On the Wifi / Ethernet switch I wondered if you set them up as Wifi and then plug in an Ethernet cable whether it switches to the cable as default but then reverts back to Wifi if you unplug it? I'll ask for clarification when I reply to Devialet.
Hi
Good to get an actual response from Devialet about PLC.
I am also probably not bothered about it’s removal seeing as I am forced to use Ethernet due to instability over Wi-Fi on the new setup. I was very happy with PLC when I was on DOS 1 and Dialog this worked fine with all HD streaming.

I think that Ethernet takes prime option if connected and if not connected or is disconnected then it is Wi-Fi now that PLC has been removed. I have never seen an option to change to Wi-Fi when I have wired Ethernet.

I am connected to a switch using Supra 8 Ethernet which is Cat 8 and I am only seeing 100 mbps not 1gb. But I am also only seeing 100 mbps through my Zenith so maybe the switch or the router is throttling. I’m not too worried about this though as it is more than adequate for Qobuz streaming. Just wish Devialet would own the 192 streaming bug that is causing music to pause but any bit rate lower does keep working.

I do wish I had kept my old Phantoms and Dialog using DOS 1 though.

I now have my new Phantom working on both Wifi and Ethernet and can now swap between them with no problem, at least when using Roon anyway. I factory reset it and unplugged the Ethernet cable and it then gave the option to set it up as Wifi. Once this is done, plugging the network cable in gives it priority and it automatically takes over as I can see the IP address change in Roon. If I then unplug the cable it switches itself back to Wifi. There is no way to re-configure it once setup so any Wifi name or password changes would mean a factory reset and re-configuration, but as a current workaround it works.

Devialet have 'taken note' my complaint about the missing network interfaces menu, whatever that means! Smile
(02-May-2022, 12:24)Laura Wrote: I now have my new Phantom working on both Wifi and Ethernet and can now swap between them with no problem, at least when using Roon anyway. I factory reset it and unplugged the Ethernet cable and it then gave the option to set it up as Wifi. Once this is done, plugging the network cable in gives it priority and it automatically takes over as I can see the IP address change in Roon. If I then unplug the cable it switches itself back to Wifi. There is no way to re-configure it once setup so any Wifi name or password changes would mean a factory reset and re-configuration, but as a current workaround it works.

Devialet have 'taken note' my complaint about the missing network interfaces menu, whatever that means! Smile
Glad to hear that you've found a solution! 
I believe you can change the WiFi settings if you access the configuration menu via a browser. Enter the speaker's ip-address in your browser and select the network menu.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage