Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom I possible damage?
Hey guys, first time posting in here. I've had my stereo Phantom I for around half a year now and absolutely love it. 
Few days ago, I left the house with the phantoms playing background music at a low 30% volume. 
I'm not exactly sure what happened but when I got home I was horrified (for both my speakers and my neighbors) to find that they were blasting at 100% max volume. I think it has something to do with the software. 
I did take a call when I was out and turned up my volume on my phone to the max for it. I feel that might have turned the phantoms up as well since the Devialet app seem to intertwine with my other phone interfaces.
I was gone for around 25 minutes with it blasting at full volume. Do you guys think it could have damaged the speakers in any way? (was blasting Norah Jones, so nothing bass crazy)
I did a few tests on it afterwards, it seems to sound fine but just curious if anyone else has done something similar.
Thanks!
Be reassured. There is no way you can damage your phantoms that way. There is built-in protection that protect the speaker. (you can read about it looking for what Speaker Active Matching (SAM) is on Devialet.

The only damage you can have are your relationship with your neighbors as well as their ears Wink

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Did you use Spotify Connect when this occurred?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Hi guys, thanks for the responses!
Yes I was using Spotify Connect when this occurred... My phantoms were streaming using wifi when I left the house.
Also I did hear of the Active SAM system that protects the Phantoms.
However doesn't the SAM system protect more on the bass aspects of the phantoms? Are the tweeters still susceptible to damage at max volume?
Something similar has happened to me. A friend of mine used Spotify Connect at my place and then opened Spotify at his house to play some music. He was still connected to my Phantoms, and could stream to my speakers and change music. He turned up the volume 'cause he couldn't hear anything at home, blasting at full volume in my living room. I turned the volume down, he turned it up again, and so on. Spotify calls it a feature, I call it a bug. I've disabled Spotify Connect for that reason. I believe you were controlling the volume in Spotify and your phone at once.

According to a member at DC Devialet has/had several Phantom Silver blasting at full volume 24/7 in a cellar for weeks/months/years. You can't damage the speakers playing at full throttle, the DSP wizardry prevents damage.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Ah that is good to know! And that is just insane...24/7 for possibly months/years?! Guess Devialet does not mess around.

Also I do believe you are right...I just tested it and I am still able to control my Phantoms while using cellular data with no wifi through Spotify Connect.
The thing is, if you are controlling the phantoms using Spotify Connect through cellular data, the Devialet app itself will not work since it requires Wifi to do so. Meaning there is no way to see what volume you are at by using the virtual remote within Devialet App.

Anyways, lessoned learned for me. From now on I am always turning my phantoms off before leaving the house. I was just thinking some worst case scenarios, such as having a sleeping baby in a crib near the phantoms while you were out for a few minutes, and having the phantoms suddenly blasting to full volume. That could lead to some serious injury and terrifying to think about.
(06-Dec-2022, 19:51)Ailas Wrote: Hi guys, thanks for the responses!
Yes I was using Spotify Connect when this occurred... My phantoms were streaming using wifi when I left the house.
Also I did hear of the Active SAM system that protects the Phantoms.
However doesn't the SAM system protect more on the bass aspects of the phantoms? Are the tweeters still susceptible to damage at max volume?

No, if you look at the spectral distribution of music, you will see that all the power and energy is concentrated in the bass compartment, not the treble.

you can see that the power density is 20dB lower past 3kHz and 30dB lower past 5kHz.

Despite the tweeter covering 12kHz instead of the 300 Hz of the typical boomer, the energy going through the tweeter is never very high compared to the boomer, hence what needs to be protected.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France