Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom I vs. Gold
Hi to all, 

enjoying my pair of Phantoms and they play very good. As an audiophile I like the soundstage very much, and the fact that the "sweet spot" is very flexible!

My question is - does anyone of you have in depth experience with the sound advantages by Gold vs. the "normal one"?

I do not have any complaints about headroom and bass response, this is superb. But the fact that Gold has a "better" tweeter is somewhat exciting.

Comments velcome!
I've had Phantom Silver and Gold at the same time, and the Gold is definitely better in my opinion. Not just in the treble, but all over. The treble is more detailed without being harsh, the mids seems more open, but that could be because of the tweeter, and the bass tighter and with more punch. If you can afford it, it's worth to upgrade.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(21-Dec-2022, 17:20)ragwo Wrote: Ik heb Phantom Silver en Gold tegelijkertijd gehad, en de Gold is naar mijn mening absoluut beter. Niet alleen in de treble, maar overal. De hoge tonen zijn gedetailleerder zonder hard te zijn, de middentonen lijken meer open, maar dat kan door de tweeter komen, en de bas strakker en met meer punch. Als je het kunt betalen, is het de moeite waard om te upgraden.

+1
(22-Dec-2022, 13:13)Johnnydev Wrote:
(21-Dec-2022, 17:20)ragwo Wrote: Ik heb Phantom Silver en Gold tegelijkertijd gehad, en de Gold is naar mijn mening absoluut beter. Niet alleen in de treble, maar overal. De hoge tonen zijn gedetailleerder zonder hard te zijn, de middentonen lijken meer open, maar dat kan door de tweeter komen, en de bas strakker en met meer punch. Als je het kunt betalen, is het de moeite waard om te upgraden.

+1

Thank you all for the observations...

But, does it pay out to stick to Phantom (gold) if you want to raise your listening experience for about 3.000€ (for a pair at least)?
I have continously upgraded to every top model available since the launch of the silver and onwards. There has been very clear improvements in every step. For me the cost is marginal compared to what I used to spend on my old high end systems and the Phantoms are a steal compared to anything out there.
(09-Apr-2023, 08:45)hoezo Wrote: Ik heb continu geüpgraded naar elk topmodel dat beschikbaar is sinds de lancering van het zilver en daarna. Er zijn zeer duidelijke verbeteringen in elke stap. Voor mij zijn de kosten marginaal in vergelijking met wat ik vroeger uitgaf aan mijn oude high-end systemen en de Phantoms zijn een koopje in vergelijking met alles wat er is.

+1
(09-Apr-2023, 08:45)howcho Wrote: I have continously upgraded to every top model available since the launch of the silver and onwards. There has been very clear improvements in every step. For me the cost is marginal compared to what I used to spend on my old high end systems and the Phantoms are a steal compared to anything out there.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(12-Apr-2023, 05:11)andrewhollo Wrote:
(09-Apr-2023, 08:45)howcho Wrote: I have continously upgraded to every top model available since the launch of the silver and onwards. There has been very clear improvements in every step. For me the cost is marginal compared to what I used to spend on my old high end systems and the Phantoms are a steal compared to anything out there.

+1

I'm seriously considering upgrading to the Phantom I 108dB. Not for the wattage increase, improved DSP but for the titanium tweeter. Detailed, shimmering treble is the draw. I've been enjoying two stereo pairs of Phantom: the Phantom I Premier Glossy Classic 103dB and a pair of Phantom II 98dB (Reactor 900). I think I would trade in the pair of Phantom II.

Any thoughts anyone could offer? 

Cheers. Enjoy the music.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
(20-Apr-2023, 13:26)supaDean Wrote:
(12-Apr-2023, 05:11)andrewhollo Wrote:

+1

I'm seriously considering upgrading to the Phantom I 108dB. Not for the wattage increase, improved DSP but for the titanium tweeter. Detailed, shimmering treble is the draw. I've been enjoying two stereo pairs of Phantom: the Phantom I Premier Glossy Classic 103dB and a pair of Phantom II 98dB (Reactor 900). I think I would trade in the pair of Phantom II.

Any thoughts anyone could offer? 

Cheers. Enjoy the music.

Making the jump! Ordered a pair of Phantom I 108dB.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
Really interested to hear your conclusions.
I have a pair of II 95db and I am very curious how much of a difference a pair of 108 will be.
Maybe ... someday I will experiment that myself.