Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Silver - Calibration/Testing question
Bit of a strange question, and looking for inputs from the audio/Devialet cognoscenti, thanks in advance.

I am an early customer of Devialet, just loved the sound and the looks and have two Phantom Silver. ( 2017 or so vintage).
Generally  no complaints ( although the speakers connectivity occasionally misbehaves on Bluetooth, and the Spark application  is not very user friendly)

Recently, I began to notice that the sound output from one of the speakers is deteriorated. Iam not an audiophile, and cannot exactly identify what is wrong, but the sounds are quite muddled in some frequencies, ( not all).

Is there any objective way to test/measure these speakers , other than just relying on my admittedly imperfect aural sense.
The speaker unit in question has no external damage, as far as I know, has never fallen. down etc to cause any inadvertent damage. I have taken quite good care of it. 
Email approaches to Devialet customer service have not elicited any response.
Sorry for your troubles. 
Is the sound muddled at certain frequencies in the whole frequency range, both bass, mids and highs? Can you hear any distortion, rattling noises? I presume you've tried the full reset procedure if you have been in touch with Devialet customer service. Are you still running DOS1?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Thank you, very grateful for the response!

The muddling I believe is in the mids. Deep bass sounds fine, and so does high pitch.
I feel percussion instruments sound flat and not enough depth, but deep bass does seem to be fine.

Devialet support has me running the hoops of resets and upgrades, which I will do and come back.

Given your knowledge of audio, Iam curious whether there are any tools out there  ( for deviate or otherwise). that can measure speaker outputs and provide a test report, for a range of frequencies.

Relying on our ears alone does seem subjective
You could try to run a full range sweep and measure the output. You'll need a computer with for example REW software and a measurement microphone such as the UMIK. REW is free, the microphone is about $100. Your listening room will highly affect the output, so it's best to do the measurement outside. It will be a hassle but if you measure both speakers you'll see if there's a difference. Use the same volume on both speakers and same distance to the microphone when measuring. If the volume is any louder than 60 the speakers will reduce the bass to protect themselves.
My Phantom Voyage
Thanks for the info above, will definitely look into it. Seems interesting to do !

Update.
Since my Deviates were ancient ( 2015), they had outdated firmware and did not really work well with the new app. I had Spark, which is outdated now.
Customer service out of Australia and Tokyo were very patient and knowledgeable, and held my hands thru a time consuming upgrade process.
After the upgrade, ( firmware 2.14.4) it does seem as though the devices do sound better! So complaints settled for the moment.
Devialet Just service also asked me to generate a report using the app, and they claimed that the speakers were perfectly fine in terms of hardware since it seems the diagnostics checks out. So it sounds good, report says no problems, so Iam going to just enjoy the sounds for the time being and stop being a nitpick!
Thanks once again to ragwo for responses, much obliged.
@shanxny
Happy to help. Glad you found a solution to the problem!
My Phantom Voyage
(03-May-2022, 12:26)shanxny Wrote: Thanks for the info above, will definitely look into it. Seems interesting to do !

Update.
Since my Deviates were ancient ( 2015), they had outdated firmware and did not really work well with the new app. I had Spark, which is outdated now.
Customer service out of Australia and Tokyo were very patient and knowledgeable, and held my hands thru a time consuming upgrade process.
After the upgrade, ( firmware 2.14.4) it does seem as though the devices do sound better! So complaints settled for the moment.
Devialet Just service also asked me to generate a report using the app, and they claimed that the speakers were perfectly fine in terms of hardware since it seems the diagnostics checks out.  So it sounds good, report says no problems, so Iam going to just enjoy the sounds for the time being and stop being a nitpick!
Thanks once again to ragwo for responses, much obliged.

Enjoy! Smile