Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono volume low / max level adjustment?
Hi there, 
because im new in my business with a Dev 140 Pro and an Clearaudio Concept MM Phono, i hope you can help me.

I noticed that volume is ca. 15db lower with the phono compared to Streaming Inputs.

for my sweetspot volume i have to push the Dev to 0db. 
im a little frustrated that thats the max volume because anything above sounds terrible and distorted.

the settings are from the dev config for the clearaudio and should be fine.
phono level shows something under 20db
when lowering the max level input from the 3,6mV which is the preset, it gets a little louder. but is it safe to lower the max level input to 1mV or so? whats the result of lowering that max input in case of sound?

can anybody help or explain?

thanks
Hi

It should be fine to adjust - the only issue would be that the input might overload and distort. That said, I am very surprised it’s that different from the other inputs. Have you access to any other phono stage to check the cart is ok? You’re sure it’s not an MC cart?
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
Iam sure it is an MM cart
Im afraid i do not have access to another phono to check.

Dou you have any idea, if there is a problem to go above 0db at the devialet?

i will check another place for the phono because it stands on the same lowboard as the speaker and it seems to make problem beside the volume because the speaker freaks out because the frequencies interacting with speaker and phono
Please check adjusts on your TT and cabling.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
I have now switched the cartridge from an MM With 3,3mV to an MM with 6,5mV.
Noticing that the volume is now much lower than before. i have to go up to +15db to get the volume with the old cart. and thats equal to the digital input -10db or so…

can anybody explain what the Devialet is doing when you set the settings for the max level input of the cartridge? is it normal thet the volume is as lower as the mV gets higher?

what if i lower the max input down but the specs of the cartridge is much higher than that?
i did nit get the point what the max input level is doing and if there is a need to adjust this?!
The internal resistance of the phono pre is growing. The result is lower volume and you have to set higher overall volume.

Is there any lag in sound quality if i lower the max input, so i dont have to push the overall volume such high?
What i mean is, if the max input has to match the output voltage of the cart?
Settings 3.3 mV and 100 to 300 pF are recommend. If you lower the voltage to 2, 5 mV for example, your will get distorsion.

I have a 140 Expert pro, so no chance to set pF Sad

Okay that means it is better to push the overall Volume to lets say +20db than lower the max input? right?

what i dont understand is, that the guy who sold me the new Cart, told me that more output from the cart will result in louder music. but in fact the opposite is the truth. i wanted to upgrade the cart and by the way get one which is louder because of the 25db difference between digital and Phono volume.
No, 3.3 mV til 3,4 mV should be optimum for your cart. Higher output Level on cardridge will be better. 5mv or more would be a match- like Ortofon 2M Blue, Bronze, Black