Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pnatom's DAC
hi, has anyone compared or knows how good the DAC of the phantom Gold's is compared to external hi-end DACs
The DAC inside Phantoms (and Expert amplifiers) is an integral part of the design. It is not possible to bypass the internal DAC in any way so this discussion is moot. The analog input in Phantom II and Expert amplifiers is digitized (passing trough an AD converter). Using a separate hi-end DAC would be close to pointless with Devialet products. Some still do and like the sound, but additional conversions will affect sound.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
ok, thanks for your reply yet i want to know how good is the DAC of the Phantom Gold when compared to high end DACs
Bearing in mind what @ogs already said, please help by putting your question into context: what parameters of the Phantom DAC's performance do you want to compare with another DAC (what do you mean by "good"?), and why is that important to you (what use do you intend to make of the answer)?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(28-May-2021, 16:32)Sonu Wrote: ok, thanks for your reply yet i want to know how good is the DAC of the Phantom Gold when compared to high end DACs

Unfortunately nobody will be able to give you an answer to that. In the specification Devialet tells us "Devialet DAC embedded in Devialet intelligence Processor". So the DAC is designed in-house  and not available for other designers to use. It is probably very good. What we do know is that Phantoms sound excellent, but depends - like any decent speaker - to be placed properly for top results. Also, and here I disagree with Devialet, stereo is necessary minimum. A single Phantom can not reproduce music good enough.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
Let's pretend that I knew that the Sabre ESS ES9038PRO is better than the DAC chip on the Phantom.  Will you look at something else because the Sabre is better?

If you answer yes, then a fully integrated unit like a Phantom is not for you. 

In other words, you cannot evaluate the Phantom based on only the DAC.  It is how well the DAC is integrated with the amplifier, speakers, DSP etc. which is important...
(28-May-2021, 20:03)ogs Wrote:
(28-May-2021, 16:32)Sonu Wrote: ok, thanks for your reply yet i want to know how good is the DAC of the Phantom Gold when compared to high end DACs

Unfortunately nobody will be able to give you an answer to that. In the specification Devialet tells us "Devialet DAC embedded in Devialet intelligence Processor". So the DAC is designed in-house  and not available for other designers to use. It is probably very good. What we do know is that Phantoms sound excellent, but depends - like any decent speaker - to be placed properly for top results. Also, and here I disagree with Devialet, stereo is necessary minimum. A single Phantom can not reproduce music good enough.
Thank you very much for the reply
(29-May-2021, 00:29)Snoopy8 Wrote: Let's pretend that I knew that the Sabre ESS ES9038PRO is better than the DAC chip on the Phantom.  Will you look at something else because the Sabre is better?

If you answer yes, then a fully integrated unit like a Phantom is not for you. 

In other words, you cannot evaluate the Phantom based on only the DAC.  It is how well the DAC is integrated with the amplifier, speakers, DSP etc. which is important...

Thank you very much for your reply
(31-May-2021, 02:16)Sonu Wrote:
(28-May-2021, 20:03)ogs Wrote:

Thank you very much for the reply, i am planning to buy another Phantom to play stereo sound , so what is the minimum distance we keep them apart for best results?
(31-May-2021, 02:23)Sonu Wrote:
(31-May-2021, 02:16)Sonu Wrote:
(28-May-2021, 20:03)ogs Wrote: Unfortunately nobody will be able to give you an answer to that. In the specification Devialet tells us "Devialet DAC embedded in Devialet intelligence Processor". So the DAC is designed in-house  and not available for other designers to use. It is probably very good. What we do know is that Phantoms sound excellent, but depends - like any decent speaker - to be placed properly for top results. Also, and here I disagree with Devialet, stereo is necessary minimum. A single Phantom can not reproduce music good enough.
Thank you very much for the reply, i am planning to buy another Phantom to play stereo sound , so what is the minimum distance we keep them apart for best results?

Depends on how far away you sit from the speakers (or where you normally listen to music) Less than 1.5 meters may be too close, but the most important would be a symmetrical placement in the room. They say that a equal sided triangle is a good setup, i.e. 2 meters between speakers equals 2 meters from a speaker to your ear. I tend to end up with less between speakers than listening distance. Presently 1.9 meters between speakers (middle of front) and a little under 3 meters from speakers.
Bass is most influenced by room interaction so symmetrical means approaching same distance from walls and also the same (identical) distance from a listening position to each speaker.
Every room is different so moving speakers around will be helpful in determining a good position. If you do not get a result you like you need to educate yourself.  You'll find books and videos that talk about the room/speaker problem. Good luck!
Devialetless!