Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SD Card Slot failing
Has anyone else reach the point where their SD Card slot is getting worn? My eject mechanism is weakening, and my D220/CI often reports an "SD card error - please press front button".

I have tried 4 different SD cards and two card reader/writers, plus quick re-formatting of cards.

I know what you all must be thinking... Yes - I'm an obsessive Sweet Room EQ and Configurator editor, so LOTS of in & out with SD cards!

Anyone done a "spring-clean" (pun intended) on their card slot without sending it back to Devialet?
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Might be a weak contact on one or more of the contact "springs" in the slot. A "spring-clean" may help. Or you have to check the solder joints. I believe the SD slot is located on the CI board stacked with the ethernet port. With some luck (and DIY skills) you can remove the board and take a look. Other than that you'll probably have to ship the amp for repair.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Make sure your SD card is SDHC type, and size is not bigger than 4GB.
You can also try to format the card, but full format (not quick format).
I had similar problems a couple of years ago starting before my CI board upgrade. What I found initially is that I had to be very precise with the way I pushed the card into the slot if I wanted to get the Devialet to read the card, if I inserted the card with a bit more pressure on one side than the other, I got the SD card error message.

Things got worse after the amp came back from the CI board upgrade, culminating in my getting the card error every time I inserted the card making it impossible to change the configuration or do a firmware upgrade. At that stage I contacted Devialet and they asked me to send the amp back to them for repair. It was away for about 12 days which, given I'm in Australia and it was sent to France for repair, was a quite fast turnaround in my view. It's worked perfectly since then.

I have no idea what the problem with the card slot was. Devialet, informative as they always are, provided no information on what the problem was or what they had done to fix the amp.

I think you're going to have to send your amp back to Devialet but they can fix it and the turnaround time was fast back in 2019 when mine went back to them. It may take longer now with shipping delays due to the pandemic but probably not too much longer.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
You might find that using an SD card extension cable may help: at least that way when you insert and remove the SD card it's not stressing or exercising the SD card slot in the amp itself. Much easier and cheaper to replace the extension if it eventually fails.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks everyone. David-A has a pretty accurate account of what happens - the way its pushed in seems to matter until it gets to the point where nothing works.
I would have thought bad formatting problems would give consistent errors, rather than just sometimes.

And I wish I had known about SD card extension cables years ago!

I think I'm VERY close to my 5yr warranty period (if not exceeded) as I bought it second hand about 3yrs ago.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
I think it's more accurate to say that the slot becomes easily -fatigued- rather than permanently on the way out. It's OK after not being used for a few weeks, but with prolonged concentrated use can start to falter again.

Unfortunately, my investigations into SD Card Extenders have revealed a fundamental limitation: they don't register the removal & re-insertion of a card until the male end (in the Devialet Slot) is also re-inserted! That very much defeats the purpose.
I just re-boot the amp when I change the SD card (I think that's good practice anyway), so I don't find it much of an inconvenience. Then again, I only change my configurations once in a blue moon.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(11-Feb-2022, 16:37)thumb5 Wrote: I just re-boot the amp when I change the SD card (I think that's good practice anyway), so I don't find it much of an inconvenience.  Then again, I only change my configurations once in a blue moon.

Yeah, that’s a good point. It reboots itself anyway when you insert a card, so it’s only the extra power button press-and-hold to do it myself. Perhaps I will order one for this weekend after all.