Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SQ of ROON running on NAS via Devialet AIR?
Anyone running ROON on a NAS and use it with the original Expert amps? I have a D400 and just realised that ROON supports AIR, wondering if the SQ is good enough to replace a Melco N1A/2 (as I was thinking of upgrade the Melco or change the D400 to pre-amp/streamer+power amp).
The original AIR was very good so I wouldn't be surprised if SQ is on par with Melco. Different, but as good. Roon AIR is also very good! The power stage of the D400 might be its strongest point so you need to think thoroughly on that... does your speakers have a SAM profile?
Maybe a reclocker (DDC) with AES/EBU output in front of the D400 would be a better option? Remember that your D400 will benefit from a good audio-clock in the streamer as it will "lock on to" the embedded clock in the stream (standard for SPDIF/AES) and improve its own clocking.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(10-Jan-2023, 18:29)Supra Wrote: Anyone running ROON on a NAS and use it with the original Expert amps? I have a D400 and just realised that ROON supports AIR, wondering if the SQ is good enough to replace a Melco N1A/2 (as I was thinking of upgrade the Melco or change the D400 to pre-amp/streamer+power amp).

Why do you ask others?
Only your ears know the answer.

Try it and you tell us what is the conclusion Wink
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(10-Jan-2023, 20:29)ogs Wrote: The original AIR was very good so I wouldn't be surprised if SQ is on par with Melco. Different, but as good. Roon AIR is also very good! The power stage of the D400 might be its strongest point so you need to think thoroughly on that... does your speakers have a SAM profile?
Maybe a reclocker (DDC) with AES/EBU output in front of the D400 would be a better option? Remember that your D400 will benefit from a good audio-clock in the streamer as it will "lock on to" the embedded clock in the stream (standard for SPDIF/AES) and improve its own clocking.

Thanks, sounds positive on ROON AIR, will give it a try. My speaker is Elac 507 VX-Jet and have SAM profile.

I don't have experience with reclocker/DDC, if I use NAS+ROON AIR, can this be added in between? I want to keep my system simple so don't really want to add another device if I keep the Melco. If not, and ROON AIR is not as good, I may just sell the Melco and look for another one-box upgrade option.
(11-Jan-2023, 11:24)Delija Wrote:
(10-Jan-2023, 18:29)Supra Wrote: Anyone running ROON on a NAS and use it with the original Expert amps? I have a D400 and just realised that ROON supports AIR, wondering if the SQ is good enough to replace a Melco N1A/2 (as I was thinking of upgrade the Melco or change the D400 to pre-amp/streamer+power amp).

Why do you ask others?
Only your ears know the answer.

Try it and you tell us what is the conclusion Wink

Good to gather some feedback and first hand experiences nonetheless - I'll find a less busy time to play with the 14 days trial Shy
Reclocker must go between source and "physical" digital input - USB / S/PDIF / AES/EBU.

You cannot use it on network input - with AIR.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(11-Jan-2023, 13:01)Delija Wrote: Reclocker must go between source and "physical" digital input - USB / S/PDIF / AES/EBU.

You cannot use it on network input - with AIR.

ahh.. got it, for now I 'll pass this option but will try out ROON AIR.
So what was your conclusion? I just setup Roon and going straight to the Expert via Ethernet. It sounds amazing. I had gotten a WiiM Pro, connected it via optical, within less than half a song I packed it up and returned it. The sound of the Expert directly to the Roon core is THAT much better. I have no experience with any other streamers, but I don't see how they can be better that going straight into Expert minimizing the path and all the interference associated.