Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samsung TV and Dione - not playing well together
I have a Dione (latest firmware 2.16.1) connected to a Samsung TV 75" The Frame 2022 QLED QE75LS03BAUXXU (also on the latest firmware)

On the TV, in Sound settings, I have to cycle between "HDMI e-ARC mode" off and auto, the only 2 options, a couple of times before the TV recognizes the Dione as an e-ARC device.  Otherwise it shows just connected as HDMI and won't play 5.1 or Atmos.  I have to do this everytime I start the TV.

I've tried different HDMI cables but no change.  And I think the cable is fine in any case as once I get it to recognize the Dione as e-ARC it works fine.

The Dione is plugged into the correct port on the TV.

Anyone with a newish Samsung TV with a similar issue? Trying to figure it out so that it works without the faff

Thanks
I also have a Samsung TV “18 months old and 55”) connected to my Dione. It is connected via HDMI and that connection is working well. However, all my services are via Virgin Media and the Virgin remote does not work with the Dione. I therefore have to use the Samsung remote to get the volume up or down. Not sure who to blame as Devialet appears in the list of companies alleged to be able to be connected via the Virgin remote but the Dione model is not recognised.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
(21-Nov-2022, 09:01)mvrlondon Wrote: On the TV, in Sound settings, I have to cycle between "HDMI e-ARC mode" off and auto, the only 2 options, a couple of times before the TV recognizes the Dione as an e-ARC device.  Otherwise it shows just connected as HDMI and won't play 5.1 or Atmos.  I have to do this everytime I start the TV.

Did you enable CEC?
Despite that - I am currently testing a Dione. I got aware upfront Samsung is limiting sound formats passthrough. So passthrough is not what you expect.
So i.e. LPCM (used i.e by Playstation) is not supported. Samsung saying not a "standard". You can find this in Samsung forum.
I do not understand this, because from my understanding it should not be an issue - as long as passthrough is enabled - to simple really passthrough anything unchanged from input to output. So I decided to use a HDMI switch from Feintech.
Why I am mentioning this? This may solve you issue with HDMI connection directly with the Dione. Have a look at

https://feintech.eu/en/collections/hdmi-...r-soundbar

(21-Nov-2022, 10:25)Gerronwithit Wrote: However, all my services are via Virgin Media and the Virgin remote does not work with the Dione. I therefore have to use the Samsung remote to get the volume up or down. Not sure who to blame as Devialet appears i

This is maybe a combination of CEC standards and the issue Dione does not have an IR remote?
I guess the CEC standard makes always the TV as master for volume control.
If your Virgini remote is able to simulate other IR you may like to try to simulate the TV remote volume control. That should work.
The Virgin will never be able to simulate the Diones, because theree is no.
One of the biggest design fails of the Dione. Do not understand why they not simple integrate an IR Diode. Enough space to do this 100% hidden.