Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some sign of Expert line
(05-Oct-2022, 10:59)Vivialet Wrote: I guess the configurator is not the problem, most bugs are in the firmware itself.

Are you using Expert 1000 Pro and haven't you noticed the many bugs in the configurator related to the dual mono configuration?...  Dodgy

In fact, I think all the bugs in the configurator are related to the dual mono configuration.
(01-Oct-2022, 17:19)Pim Wrote:
(01-Oct-2022, 10:40)Cylob Wrote:
(30-Sep-2022, 13:13)Pim Wrote: You would enjoy it even more if it was a 220 Pro. Big Grin

I kept my money in my pocket. And never regret it. I figured it would be the same story again: no upgrades, no updates, no fixes. Which was true.
Will invest in a future amp.
Besides, I didn't like the way they went for the more digital, harsh sound signature with each firmware update. I figured it could go really wrong with a 220 Pro in combination with my setup.
Like I said: happy as it is with AIR working on the vintage 7.1.3 firmware / Magnepans.

I still have my old 200. I don't know where that harsh sound signature on the Pro series myth comes from but it's just not true. I also know the Maggie 1.7s well and have heard them on different amps. They sounded pretty ordinary on some Nuprime amps. Now THAT was bright. The poor dealer thought he was doing me a favour because "Devialet amps are class D too". Nope, my Od'A doesn't sound harsh. No comparison.

Nothing bad about the Pro's, Pim. Never heard one, so can't judge on that. Was only referring to my 200 and the firmware updates it got. For me it was too much of a risk to loose my beloved 7.1.3 sound signature and pay a lot of cash for it. Still as happy as can be (after 2 years of white noise crap that is).
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(04-Oct-2022, 21:48)mdconnelly Wrote: The Expert Pro line is truly an extraordinary bit of state-of-the-art hardware engineering. But in today’s world, expectations are that the software must also evolve to keep pace. Early Devialet literature espoused that it would. The release of the Pro CI stated that it would. But while Devialet has always excelled in the hardware realm, software has never been their strength (nor has customer communication but that’s a whole separate issue). So even if there is a firmware update coming (and i have no release to think there is), I’m not holding my breath for any significant improvements. But hey, I’ll get excited if they just fix/improve the configurator.

My Expert Pro 250 has served me perfectly since I bought it late 2016, I've always enjoyed the sound. I used it by USB with an external streamer until Roon Ready came along in 2019 and I have never felt the software or hardware needed upgrading. I also use two phono sources, never an issue.

I have need for updates and I've yet to see anything I would swap it for.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
(06-Oct-2022, 11:04)ssfas Wrote:
(04-Oct-2022, 21:48)mdconnelly Wrote: The Expert Pro line is truly an extraordinary bit of state-of-the-art hardware engineering.  But in today’s world, expectations are that the software must also evolve to keep pace.  Early Devialet literature espoused that it would.  The release of the Pro CI stated that it would.  But while Devialet has always excelled in the hardware realm, software has never been their strength (nor has customer communication but that’s a whole separate issue).  So even if there is a firmware update coming (and i have no release to think there is), I’m not holding my breath for any significant improvements.  But hey, I’ll get excited if they just fix/improve the configurator.

My Expert Pro 250 has served me perfectly since I bought it late 2016, I've always enjoyed the sound. I used it by USB with an external streamer until Roon Ready came along in 2019 and I have never felt the software or hardware needed upgrading. I also use two phono sources, never an issue.

I have need for updates and I've yet to see anything I would swap it for.

I agree! I purchased my original D-Premier right at the start of the Devialet journey and have been through every upgrade and update, adding an additional D-Prem recently upgraded to 250Pro to give me full 1000Pro operation. The second D-Prem was from the very first batch with single digit seriel number! They work brilliantly and like you I cannot think of anything better without spending very big amounts of cash! In short they work like a dream!
My 1000 Pro is still sounding amazingly good, I doubt there is significantly better whatever amount of money is spent.

But that really isn't the problem. The problem is that Devialet, although doing pretty well as a company overall, is clealry in a downward spiral in high end and that cannot be good for existing owners, even if for those who would not upgrade if something new came out.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
(21-Oct-2022, 07:51)bernardl Wrote: My 1000 Pro is still sounding amazingly good, I doubt there is significantly better whatever amount of money is spent.

But that really isn't the problem. The problem is that Devialet, although doing pretty well as a company overall, is clealry in a downward spiral in high end and that cannot be good for existing owners, even if for those who would not upgrade if something new came out.

Cheers,
Bernard

Understood. Well Devialet still has an in-house software development team so I imagine it will be about balancing new product development to drive business growth. As you say it would be nice though to have one of the software team still focused on the Expert range, which from a hardware point of view still has a lot of life left in it!
It would be good to get some occasional news of any sort of development or engineering efforts on the Expert line… or none whatsoever, from Devialet. There are still quite a few owners and units of the Expert line of amplifiers out there so anything, even if it requires sending units in for the “next gen” upgrade of internal circuit boards, etc, would still be a source of recurring revenue for the company.

I dare say there have been enough time passed that advances in audio technology, however incremental they may be, will have some of us opening our wallets in pursuit of it.
(03-Nov-2022, 01:29)sfdude Wrote: It would be good to get some occasional news of any sort of development or engineering efforts on the Expert line… or none whatsoever, from Devialet. There are still quite a few owners and units of the Expert line of amplifiers out there so anything, even if it requires sending units in for the “next gen” upgrade of internal circuit boards, etc, would still be a source of recurring revenue for the company.

I dare say there have been enough time passed that advances in audio technology, however incremental they may be, will have some of us opening our wallets in pursuit of it.

I would be extremely pissed off if Devialet told me that I needed to pay for an upgrade when they haven’t made full use of the potential of the CI board.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Can you share what the gaps are? I don't know what the full potential of the CI board is, despite having a 220 Pro CI. Would love to get insights into that.
(03-Nov-2022, 08:54)Axel Wrote: I would be extremely pissed off if Devialet told me that I needed to pay for an upgrade when they haven’t made full use of the potential of the CI board.
if the CI board would have reached it's full potential it would be a bad hardware design. I think it is not making full use of it's potiential because of the software.
A 400€ ifi Zen Stream is playing on a much higher level, connected to the Devialet via USB. And there are even better devices available.
For me the benefit of the CI board is that it provides a better clock to the other parts of the Devialet resulting in better SQ.