Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some sign of Expert line
(04-Nov-2022, 14:43)Vivialet Wrote: if the CI board would have reached it's full potential it would be a bad hardware design. I think it is not making full use of it's potiential because of the software.
A 400€ ifi Zen Stream is playing on a much higher level, connected to the Devialet via USB. And there are even better devices available.
For me the benefit of the CI board is that it provides a better clock to the other parts of the Devialet resulting in better SQ.

I tend to agree here. I use an Innuos Zenith Mk2 streamer into my 220 Pro CI and it sounds sublime, even streaming from Qobuz. Locally stored music in DSD format for well known albums are second to none.
Hi,

I am sorry, hut I don't understand the agitation regarding missing updates for the Expert line. I have a Expert 1000 Pro CI Dual Mono at present after starting with the Devialet Premier amp. I never regretted updating to the CI and I have no problem with the firmware; maybe because I prefer cabled instead of WiFi.
Before the D Premier I had a history of 30 years of at least two middle class cars (in terms of value and money) in changing configurations in my living room until I found the D-Premier. I am really satisfied because its SQ tops al my earlier gear. I have no desire to juggle with firmware updates that may address some problems that most people don't have.
I was so content with Devialet that I purchased the Phantom Golds (DB X1) for another apartment. And again, I am very happy and content and don't consider replacements. It was a surprise when I discovered a firmware update yesterday. But after some initial fiddle it worked as it's supposed to.

Of course, everybody is free to desire changes in their gear and updates and upgrades of firmware and software. I don't, because for me music is the primary reason to listen through the hardware. Unfortunately those with the audiophilia nervosa affliction (that I also had in earlier times) bet on the wrong horse. Fortunately, the Devilaet stuff is not for tweeking. It's a largely finished piece of art that is able to reproduce music as it's supposed to sound...in my humble opinion.
And for this reason I‘m still very satisfied with my 1000 Pro CI. But for streaming there are much better solutions than using the CI board. Don‘t get me wrong, the CI board is perfectly stable for me as well, but an external streamer simply sounds better.
Indeed, Expert Pro has a very good sound quality.

However, if you have a configuration with 2 or more units, then the sound quality depends a lot on the interaction between the functionalities you use and the bugs in the configurator / firmware.
I suspect that for those who do not feel the need for a firmware upgrade, this interaction is not applicable.

There is another functionality that is completely missing from Expert Pro: MQA capabilities. This is a "normal" functionality nowadays. From this point of view, Devialet technology is outdated and needs an upgrade.
There is actually a lot that is unfortunately software wise neglected.
The CI module isn’t exploited as it was announced, if you take a look what other vendors are doing with their software like LINN or LUMIN that is a completely different world.
And of course there are a number of bugs around for years which are highly annoying.

I still guess the best is to write Mathieu & support to raise awareness otherwise the Phantom & Co. mainstream train without Expert in mind continues.
(20-Nov-2022, 19:09)Mohmm Wrote: Hi,

I am sorry, hut I don't understand the agitation regarding missing updates for the Expert line. I have a Expert 1000 Pro CI Dual Mono at present after starting with the  Devialet Premier amp. I never regretted updating to the CI and I have no problem with the firmware; maybe because I prefer cabled instead of WiFi.
Before the D Premier I had a history of 30 years of at least two middle class cars (in terms of value and money) in changing configurations in my living room until I found the D-Premier. I am really satisfied because its SQ tops al my earlier gear. I have no desire to juggle with firmware updates that may address some problems that most people don't have.
I was so content with Devialet that I purchased the Phantom Golds (DB X1) for another apartment. And again, I am very happy and content and don't consider replacements. It was a surprise when I discovered a firmware update yesterday. But after some initial fiddle it worked as it's supposed to.

Of course, everybody is free to desire changes in their gear and updates and upgrades of firmware and software. I don't, because for me music is the primary reason to listen through the hardware. Unfortunately those with the audiophilia nervosa affliction (that I also had in earlier times)  bet on the wrong horse. Fortunately, the Devilaet stuff is not for tweeking. It's a largely finished piece of art that is able to reproduce music as it's supposed to sound...in my humble opinion.

I’ve got to agree with you, Mohmm.  In my case, what ain’t broke don’t need fixing.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
The simple fact that you still need an SD card to do anything with the Expert range exemplifies the neglect this product has had. You can almost see collective Devialet heads being stuck in the sand at the very mention of the word “Expert”.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
(20-Nov-2022, 19:09)Mohmm Wrote: Hi,

I am sorry, hut I don't understand the agitation regarding missing updates for the Expert line. I have a Expert 1000 Pro CI Dual Mono at present after starting with the  Devialet Premier amp. I never regretted updating to the CI and I have no problem with the firmware; maybe because I prefer cabled instead of WiFi.

Of course, everybody is free to desire changes in their gear and updates and upgrades of firmware and software. I don't, because for me music is the primary reason to listen through the hardware. Unfortunately those with the audiophilia nervosa affliction (that I also had in earlier times)  bet on the wrong horse. Fortunately, the Devilaet stuff is not for tweeking. It's a largely finished piece of art that is able to reproduce music as it's supposed to sound...in my humble opinion.

I agree, totally. Started off with the D-Premier 12 years ago, then the D250 then the D800. I didn't upgrade to the D1000 as I already built a good steaming chain. I don't miss anything. Perhaps on the fly adjustments of some DSP functions through a network connection would make life a little easier than writing an SD card but that is not a daily issue.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
@Mohmm - I totally agree with you on sound quality and I suspect most everyone still posting here still owns their Expert Pro for that reason. But despite that, I am disappointed in Devialet, the company. Reasons include:

-- they made commitments to the evolution of the Expert Pro Ci products at the time of release that they never followed through on.
-- there are bugs in the configurator - particularly for dual mono owners - that have never been resolved.
-- as previously stated, the product is dated.
-- customer communication has always been poor - whether through support or direction.

In my 7+ years of being a Devialet customer I've come to realize that software is simply not their strength. In this day and age of rapidly changing technology, product evolution through firmware improvements dictates the length and success of a product - particularly in this price range.

None of that, of course, speaks to sound quality which has always been exceptional. But if I were shopping in this price range today, I don't think Devialet would make the list for the above reasons. I'm still scratching my head as to what would which is why I still have my 440 Pro and listen quite contentedly to it every day.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(21-Nov-2022, 18:36)mdconnelly Wrote: @Mohmm  - I totally agree with you on sound quality and I suspect most everyone still posting here still owns their Expert Pro for that reason.  But despite that, I am disappointed in Devialet, the company.  Reasons include:

-- they made commitments to the evolution of the Expert Pro Ci products at the time of release that they never followed through on.   
-- there are bugs in the configurator - particularly for dual mono owners - that have never been resolved.
-- as previously stated, the product is dated.
-- customer communication has always been poor - whether through support or direction.

In my 7+ years of being a Devialet customer I've come to realize that software is simply not their strength.  In this day and age of rapidly changing technology, product evolution through firmware improvements dictates the length and success of a product - particularly in this price range. 

None of that, of course, speaks to sound quality which has always been exceptional.  But if I were shopping in this price range today, I don't think Devialet would make the list for the above reasons.  I'm still scratching my head as to what would which is why I still have my 440 Pro and listen quite contentedly to it every day.
I largely agree with you regarding the evolution of the CI board and the configurator (is this issue confirmed?). But then, I stopped reading the HiFi and Highend press and turn to this website only very rarely.
P.s.: can someone remind me for what CI stands in the Expert context?