Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speakers recommendation for 16sqm living room
(21-Nov-2021, 03:50)winiar560 Wrote: I was actually consodering a ddrc 22d dirac digital only correction to try soon but to be honest I'll try sweet room first because the only problem I can hear is the base.
Perhaps try placing your speakers this way
http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_square.php

It is difficult to fix the bass problems in the square room. Room correction software, like Dirac Live, can reduce it a little...
Audio Physic years ago were championing a listening position against the rear wall because, if your head was really close to the wall, it could minimise the effect of reflections from the rear wall. On the other hand having the listening position very close to the rear wall is going to put your ears in a high pressure zone which means that you are going to be hearing overly strong bass and the effect of the modal frequencies in your room is going to be particularly strong because, since it's square, the room modes for the length and width of the room are going to be identical so they reinforce each other.

One thing which can help with bass problems is to place the speakers a quarter of the width of the room away from the side walls with half the room's width between them. That means that the axial room mode across the width of the room will be minimised because the modal responses created by each speaker are out of phase with each other and will cancel. This will do nothing about the room modes along the length and height of the room but the length and width modes of your room are reinforcing each other so minimising the width related mode in this way is going to weaken the room's behaviour at the most prominent modal frequency. If you can place your speakers that way it may help.

Apart from that, moving the speakers forward or back a little may help reduce the degree to which they load the mode along the length of the room. You said you have some acoustic treatments in your room but you didn't say what they were. I would recommend that you place some effective bass traps in the corners if you haven't already done so. Some bass ttaps are tuneable and, if you can make measurements in your room, tuning the traps to the strongest modal frequency would give maximum effect .

You don't say if you're using SAM but if you are I would recommend turning it off. SAM extends speaker bass response and there is some extension occurring even at a setting of 0%. Turning off SAM is going to reduce the bass output of your speakers slightly which wall also help with problems at bass frequencies. If you don't want to turn SAM off entirely then turn it down to 0% in order to minimise the extension boost and any problems that may be exacerbating. It may also help to turn the bass tone control on your amp down a bit.

As I and others have said, electronic room correction may help also and Sweet Room is definitely an option you should consider. A combination of speaker placement changes, bass traps, and electronic correction would yield the maximum benefi.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia