Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereonet Devialet Article
this master-master configuration does not really work. The slave-master channel is too dominant. This has nothing to do with the volume, I guess some phase/delay correction is missing that happens with the normal master/slave setup. I need to change the balance by 10-15% to get it centered again, so I returned to the normal master/slave mode.
(27-Jul-2022, 16:36)Vivialet Wrote: this master-master configuration does not really work. The slave-master channel is too dominant. This has nothing to do with the volume, I guess some phase/delay correction is missing that happens with the normal master/slave setup. I need to change the balance by 10-15% to get it centered again, so I returned to the normal master/slave mode.

The master-master configuration works.  Smile
Have you checked if the volume displayed on the two units is identical?
I suspect that there is something wrong in your configuration. Can you send me your configuration files so I can analyze them?
The volume is identical of course. Maybe it is not correctly handling the pre out on the slave in this configuration where I have connected my subwoofer. Both channels use a highpass. If this info is not passed from the master to the slave-master this is probably moving the bass center…
Bass doesn't have "center" - if crossover frequency isn't set too high.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(27-Jul-2022, 21:30)Vivialet Wrote: The volume is identical of course. Maybe it is not correctly handling the pre out on the slave in this configuration where I have connected my subwoofer. Both channels use a highpass. If this info is not passed from the master to the slave-master this is probably moving the bass center…

Information about highpass is not transmitted through the link cable for any of the configurations (master-slave or master-master). For both configurations, the highpass is set individually for each unit.
You have to compare the configuration files and see what is different. Somewhere there is a setting that is not identical in the two units.

Do you use one subwoofer or two?
I'm using a single subwoofer which is connected via stereo to the pre out of the slave. The highpass is defined identically on both amps of course. I'm using an SPDIF to AES link cable so that the stereo pre out is available on the slave. The pre out is not filtered and has the full signal.
I have even measured the frequency response of both speakers and can not see any difference to my standard master/slave configuration, but still the balance is shifted to the slave-master.
I think it also depends on the listening situation, I'm sitting in the near field (2,2m distance to both speakers) so that I can easily hear each center shift.
(28-Jul-2022, 09:20)Vivialet Wrote: I'm using a single subwoofer which is connected via stereo to the pre out of the slave. The highpass is defined identically on both amps of course. I'm using an SPDIF to AES link cable so that the stereo pre out is available on the slave. The pre out is not filtered and has the full signal.
I have even measured the frequency response of both speakers and can not see any difference to my standard master/slave configuration, but still the balance is shifted to the slave-master.
I think it also depends on the listening situation, I'm sitting in the near field (2,2m distance to both speakers) so that I can easily hear each center shift.

Can you upload here the screenshot from the configurator of each unit, as well as the configuration files?
(03-Jul-2022, 10:51)chrisc Wrote: Where (mainly Chinese) companies producing advanced audio components are advancing daily in introducing worthwhile new technology, Devialet appears to have stood still

One example is the poor handling of DSD material.  Even an inexpensive DAC like FiiO can handle any resolution DSD recordings.  With Devialet this has to be converted to PCM

Of course that might be the limitations of the chipset and design of the Expert which has gone as far as it can go without a major redesign

I tried DSD in 2016 (bought a DSD DAC) and decided it was of no benefit. A few months later I bought Devialet 250 Pro precisely because it doesn’t go down the DSD hole, although it can convert my 5 DSD file purchases.

I have no plans to change the unit I bought. I haven’t seen anything from China of the least interest. What were you thinking of?
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.