Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereonet Devialet Article
Seems with AIR driver fix etc. there are some resources and it’s a good timing to being this major bug up again. Would be great if you can write to support about all your detailed bug report you already collected.
(12-Jul-2022, 23:49)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: Devialet has not suggested doing this because this is a workaround, which should not have been necessary, as the configurator should have worked 100% well.

Trigger cable is not required; this is useful when using a real companion. The only cable required is RCA_OUT - RCA_IN or RCA_OUT - AES / EBU.

File comparison:
- The MASTER file is not changed at all.
- The COMPANION file (second master in workaround) is completely changed. Basically, it is identical to the one from MASTER, but with a different audio channel (left/right) and another audio input.

(13-Jul-2022, 08:32)audio_engr Wrote:
(12-Jul-2022, 21:49)mdconnelly Wrote: The fact that there is any sonic change is remarkable and makes one wonder why Devialet has not suggested doing this or even acknowledged that it as a viable option.  I will definitely give it a try sometime soon. 

@audio_engr - in doing this, did you change anything else?  Were you only using the master previously as input?  Using a trigger cable?
Did you change anything with the way the link cable is configured?  Did you do a compare of the before/after config files to see what exactly changed?  Just being curious while scratching my head as to the differences.

It is indeed a great pity that this sort of an issue ONLY affect the top two most expensive Experts in Devialet's lineup. It also affects 210-Pro but I am yet to see multiple users of 210-Pro as probably they end up buying the 220-Pro. 

Coming back to your questions, I did not change 'a thing' in my setup except inserting 2 SD cards and allowing my 440-Pro to read the config files. 
And yes, earlier, I was using only my Master since I have a single source which is streaming, hence the Ethernet input of the Master as my only input and No Trigger cable. 

When I bought my Dual Mono in 2016 as D400 (Master & Companion), I initially started out with the stock RCA (sPDIF) - -> RCA (sPDIF) cable and few months later also tried the RCA (sPDIF) - -> AES/EBU XLR. I found that the RCA->AES to be much superior to my ears. Hence, I had Audioquest build me a RCA->AES cable that I currently still continue to use. In 2018, I had my D400 upgraded to 440-Pro CI and I continued to use them as a Master + Companion till 2 days back. 

Upon configuring the SD cards as {Master-L + Master-R}, I listened to my setup and the next day, inserted my older {Master + Companion} cards and listened again. Immediately, the dense center fill lightened up and that vibrant energy very slightly receded backwards towards the Front-Wall. Once again, after 30 minutes, I reverted back to the {Master-L + Master-R} SD cards and immediately the sonics were more dense and bolder. 

I am still listening to my "new config" setup and realise that I will stick to this and not the older {Master + Companion} setup. 

Incidentally, I recall last year when I got an EMM Labs MA3 (Streamer+DAC+Preamp) with Bricasti M28 monoblock power amps for trial at home, the center fill was just like how it is now, i.e. with {Master-L + Master-R} config and I kept scratching my head as to why with other electronics, the presentation is different yet more realistic. I sincerely thank @daniel.avasilichioaei for showing the path to solve this crazy Devialet dilemma.   Smile

Thank you for the write up. I am tempted to try this too. Just to be sure, you didn’t change the way the speaker cables need to attached to the double mono setup either? I fear breaking my speakers if I do things wrong.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(16-Jul-2022, 01:54)kerkhoffd Wrote:
(12-Jul-2022, 23:49)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: Devialet has not suggested doing this because this is a workaround, which should not have been necessary, as the configurator should have worked 100% well.

Trigger cable is not required; this is useful when using a real companion. The only cable required is RCA_OUT - RCA_IN or RCA_OUT - AES / EBU.

File comparison:
- The MASTER file is not changed at all.
- The COMPANION file (second master in workaround) is completely changed. Basically, it is identical to the one from MASTER, but with a different audio channel (left/right) and another audio input.

(13-Jul-2022, 08:32)audio_engr Wrote:
(12-Jul-2022, 21:49)mdconnelly Wrote: The fact that there is any sonic change is remarkable and makes one wonder why Devialet has not suggested doing this or even acknowledged that it as a viable option.  I will definitely give it a try sometime soon. 

@audio_engr - in doing this, did you change anything else?  Were you only using the master previously as input?  Using a trigger cable?
Did you change anything with the way the link cable is configured?  Did you do a compare of the before/after config files to see what exactly changed?  Just being curious while scratching my head as to the differences.

It is indeed a great pity that this sort of an issue ONLY affect the top two most expensive Experts in Devialet's lineup. It also affects 210-Pro but I am yet to see multiple users of 210-Pro as probably they end up buying the 220-Pro. 

Coming back to your questions, I did not change 'a thing' in my setup except inserting 2 SD cards and allowing my 440-Pro to read the config files. 
And yes, earlier, I was using only my Master since I have a single source which is streaming, hence the Ethernet input of the Master as my only input and No Trigger cable. 

When I bought my Dual Mono in 2016 as D400 (Master & Companion), I initially started out with the stock RCA (sPDIF) - -> RCA (sPDIF) cable and few months later also tried the RCA (sPDIF) - -> AES/EBU XLR. I found that the RCA->AES to be much superior to my ears. Hence, I had Audioquest build me a RCA->AES cable that I currently still continue to use. In 2018, I had my D400 upgraded to 440-Pro CI and I continued to use them as a Master + Companion till 2 days back. 

Upon configuring the SD cards as {Master-L + Master-R}, I listened to my setup and the next day, inserted my older {Master + Companion} cards and listened again. Immediately, the dense center fill lightened up and that vibrant energy very slightly receded backwards towards the Front-Wall. Once again, after 30 minutes, I reverted back to the {Master-L + Master-R} SD cards and immediately the sonics were more dense and bolder. 

I am still listening to my "new config" setup and realise that I will stick to this and not the older {Master + Companion} setup. 

Incidentally, I recall last year when I got an EMM Labs MA3 (Streamer+DAC+Preamp) with Bricasti M28 monoblock power amps for trial at home, the center fill was just like how it is now, i.e. with {Master-L + Master-R} config and I kept scratching my head as to why with other electronics, the presentation is different yet more realistic. I sincerely thank @daniel.avasilichioaei for showing the path to solve this crazy Devialet dilemma.   Smile

Thank you for the write up. I am tempted to try this too. Just to be sure, you didn’t change the way the speaker cables need to attached to the double mono setup either? I fear breaking my speakers if I do things wrong.

The workaround has nothing to do with speaker cables: you don't have to change anything here.
If you are already using dual-mono without a trigger, then the easiest and safest way to apply the workaround is as described in post #26 ([url=https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Stereonet-Devialet-Article?pid=106420][/url]https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Stereonet-Devialet-Article?pid=106420#pid106420):
- The MASTER file is the same.
- For COMPANION file, just edit the MASTER configuration and change audio channel (left / right) and audio input (and name, if you want).
@audio_engr - How are you configuring your RCA - XLR link in the Master-L/Master-R configurations? Are you just setting the XLR as an audio input in the Master of the Master-R configuration so that your Master-L config ink connection is the RCA and the Master-R config link connection is the XLR? This has me a bit confused because it doesn't appear you can configure a Master-Companion with the XLR connection on the Master. I must be missing something.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(24-Jul-2022, 17:53)mdconnelly Wrote: @audio_engr - How are you configuring your RCA - XLR link in the Master-L/Master-R configurations?  Are you just setting the XLR as an audio input in the Master of the Master-R configuration so that your Master-L config ink connection is the RCA and the Master-R config link connection is the XLR?  This has me a bit confused because it doesn't appear you can configure a Master-Companion with the XLR connection on the Master.  I must be missing something.

Any insight is appreciated.  Thanks.

"Are you just setting the XLR as an audio input in the Master of the Master-R configuration so that your Master-L config ink connection is the RCA and the Master-R config link connection is the XLR?"
Answer: Yes.

In configurator, you can edit again the master from the "Master-L" configuration and perform these actions (on master unit):
- Rename the master from "Master-L" to Master-R".
- Change the speaker from left to right.
- Turn off all audio inputs, and turn on XLR input only.
- Save the configuration file.
Is it possible to use in this configuration also the Expert in a AV setup for the stereo channels? Meaning line-in?

And has anyone got feedback from support what is going wrong here Software side/ in the online configurator? Seems there is a lot of potential, performance missing resp. to be exploited.
(24-Jul-2022, 20:45)markush Wrote: Is it possible to use in this configuration also the Expert in a AV setup for the stereo channels? Meaning line-in?

And has anyone got feedback from support what is going wrong here Software side/ in the online configurator? Seems there is a lot of potential, performance missing resp. to be exploited.

Yes, you can use this master-master configuration just as you use the normal master-companion configuration. The only limitation is that you cannot use the audio inputs from the "companion".
So, you can use any audio input from the "master", including line-in.
one hint: you should not use "save volume". This sets only the volume on the master-master, not on the slave-master if you change the source.
You can also not use the pass-through mode as this disables the digital-out.
(25-Jul-2022, 08:16)Vivialet Wrote: one hint: you should not use "save volume". This sets only the volume on the master-master, not on the slave-master if you change the source.
You can also not use the pass-through mode as this disables the digital-out.

Except for the audio input, speaker (left/right) and configuration name, all settings mus be identical on master-master ans master-slave.
Here's a quick feedback after having used my Dual mono as MASTER-L (Left ch) and MASTER-R (Right ch) for almost 2 weeks. 

- The Center fill area of the soundstage is so much more denser with more info.
- The Temperatures of Class-A, Class-D & Power Supply for both Master-L and Master-R and now identical. This never happened earlier.  
- Have had NO issues in operating the Dual mono with this config.

Thx to @daniel.avasilichioaei for making this happen!
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US