Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereonet Devialet Article
Amazing to hear! We should really forward this to support so they can provide a feedback - and hopefully configurator fix. Sad to see for so many years never exploited the full potential of a dual mono setup.
I see how denser center image is good with 802 D3.
But, how about the soundstage and spatial positioning of the instruments and the size of the soundstage - width, height, depth?

I believe there is a slight phase shift between channels on Devialet Expert and I"m pretty sure it's not a bug - but a feature which affects the sound(stage). If you ever inverted the phase on one of the speakers, you know how 180 degree phase shift affects the sound.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum...iew.12286/

In this config with two masters - I think this is "lost" and this could cause the difference in sound you described.

BTW, for me, a major issue would be mobile app remote control which is not working in this setup.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(25-Jul-2022, 14:50)markush Wrote: Sad to see for so many years never exploited the full potential of a dual mono setup.

Yes, indeed! I had mine since 2016 but the full potential is only made use of now.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(25-Jul-2022, 14:53)Delija Wrote: I see how denser center image is good with  802 D3.
But, how about the soundstage and spatial positioning of the instruments and the size of the soundstage - width, height, depth?

I believe there is a slight phase shift between channels on Devialet Expert and I"m pretty sure it's not a bug - but a feature which affects the sound(stage). If you ever inverted the phase on one of the speakers, you know how 180 degree phase shift affects the sound.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum...iew.12286/

In this config with two masters - I think this is "lost" and this could cause the difference in sound you described.

BTW, for me, a major issue would be mobile app remote control which is not working in this setup.

Denser center imaging works very well with 802 D3 as I have them at 9.75 Ft (2.97 metre) tweeter-to-tweeter and the soundstage is also extremely well developed with great width, depth and height. Please note that in my opinion and having closely monitored this Height aspect, I am finding that the height has slightly gained more which for me is a very good thing as it fully replicates 'real life soundstaging'. 

The phase shift aspect can make sense but now, as the dual monos are exact identicals of each other, hence whatever pre-existed is now null.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(24-Jul-2022, 18:26)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:
(24-Jul-2022, 17:53)mdconnelly Wrote: @audio_engr - How are you configuring your RCA - XLR link in the Master-L/Master-R configurations?  Are you just setting the XLR as an audio input in the Master of the Master-R configuration so that your Master-L config ink connection is the RCA and the Master-R config link connection is the XLR?  This has me a bit confused because it doesn't appear you can configure a Master-Companion with the XLR connection on the Master.  I must be missing something.

Any insight is appreciated.  Thanks.

"Are you just setting the XLR as an audio input in the Master of the Master-R configuration so that your Master-L config ink connection is the RCA and the Master-R config link connection is the XLR?"
Answer: Yes.

In configurator, you can edit again the master from the "Master-L" configuration and perform these actions (on master unit):
- Rename the master from "Master-L" to Master-R".
- Change the speaker from left to right.
- Turn off all audio inputs, and turn on XLR input only.
- Save the configuration file.
Maybe I'm being a bit over-cautious (and a little bit dense) but....

In creating the new Master-R (or Master-Slave), rather than starting with a new dual-mono config, I can just edit the prior Master-L config file I saved, rename it to Master-R, turn off all audio inputs and turn on the XLR.   Do I turn off the Chaining Input from the Master-L config as well?
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(25-Jul-2022, 17:38)mdconnelly Wrote:
(24-Jul-2022, 18:26)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:
(24-Jul-2022, 17:53)mdconnelly Wrote: @audio_engr - How are you configuring your RCA - XLR link in the Master-L/Master-R configurations?  Are you just setting the XLR as an audio input in the Master of the Master-R configuration so that your Master-L config ink connection is the RCA and the Master-R config link connection is the XLR?  This has me a bit confused because it doesn't appear you can configure a Master-Companion with the XLR connection on the Master.  I must be missing something.

Any insight is appreciated.  Thanks.

"Are you just setting the XLR as an audio input in the Master of the Master-R configuration so that your Master-L config ink connection is the RCA and the Master-R config link connection is the XLR?"
Answer: Yes.

In configurator, you can edit again the master from the "Master-L" configuration and perform these actions (on master unit):
- Rename the master from "Master-L" to Master-R".
- Change the speaker from left to right.
- Turn off all audio inputs, and turn on XLR input only.
- Save the configuration file.
Maybe I'm being a bit over-cautious (and a little bit dense) but....

In creating the new Master-R (or Master-Slave), rather than starting with a new dual-mono config, I can just edit the prior Master-L config file I saved, rename it to Master-R, turn off all audio inputs and turn on the XLR.   Do I turn off the Chaining Input from the Master-L config as well?

You use RCA - XLR link in the Master-L/Master-R, right? In this case, the only active input from Master-R must be XLR.

With the Master-L you can activate any audio input you need, exactly the same as with the master-companion configuration (in fact, you can use the same configuration file).
So is the RCA out from the Master-L still a Chaining Link or, in this new Master-Master config, is it just a Digital RCA Out to either the RCA or XLR digital input on the Master-R? I always thought the Chaining Link was more than just a Digital Out to In.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Durham, NC USA
(26-Jul-2022, 22:36)mdconnelly Wrote: So is the RCA out from the Master-L still a Chaining Link or, in this new Master-Master config, is it just a Digital RCA Out to either the RCA or XLR digital input on the Master-R?  I always thought the Chaining Link was more than just a Digital Out to In.

You are right, Chaining Link is more than just a Digital Out to Digital In.

In Master-Master configuration, the link works like this:
- For the Master-L link is also a Chaining Link: it sends the music, commands and settings to the Master-R. The configuration and operation are identical to those of the master in the master-companion. In fact, the configuration file is the same, no need to create a new one.
- For the Master-R link is only RCA or XLR digital input: it receives the music, commands and settings, but only uses the music. It ignores the commands and settings received via the link. Instead of them, it uses its own configuration file and the commands received from the remote control.

Basically, the Master-Master configuration represents two monoblock amplifiers, but one of them sends music to the other.
So in the Master-Master setup, how does the Master-R know when the input, volume, etc… changes? When I set this up, the Master-R display did not respond to changes from the remote although the Master-L did. Is that what you would expect?
Durham, NC USA
(27-Jul-2022, 15:30)mdconnelly Wrote: So in the Master-Master setup, how does the Master-R know when the input, volume, etc… changes?  When I set this up, the Master-R display did not respond to changes from the remote although the Master-L did.  Is that what you would expect?

No.
All units will synchronize with the remote control and all will respond to its commands.
I use (for several years) 4 units connected in this way and a single remote control.