Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereonet Devialet Article
(03-Jul-2022, 10:51)chrisc Wrote: One example is the poor handling of DSD material.  Even an inexpensive DAC like FiiO can handle any resolution DSD recordings.  With Devialet this has to be converted to PCM
I think you are missing a key point. Any setup with DSP (Digital Signal Processing) must use PCM. Are you suggesting that Devialet should drop all their DSP technology???
Maybe I did not express myself properly

I have many DSD recordings, DSD64 (most), DSD128 and DSD256. JRiver sends Bitstream as DSD but only DSD64 is playable. There is silence when attempting to play the others. I did raise this question in a previous post and was informed that DSD64 was the upper limit of Bitstream

If these higher resolution Bitstream is converted to 24 bit 176KHz then there is no problem

Many Channel Classics recordings are in DSD 128, likewise some remastered older recordings

The comment below still does not explain why higher resolution DSD recordings will not play...

I came across this from a Firmware manual:

MAT DSD Core technology converts the DSD format into Expert internal native PCM 40 bits / 384 kHz format thanks to an optimized algorithm, limiting the amount of computational operations on the audio stream. Using only 15 bit perfect additions (no multiplication, no storage), the MAT algorithm performs a 128 taps, linear phase FIR (Finite Impulse Response) digital filter ensuring the conversion of the DSD format into internal native PCM format with truly outstanding performances
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
(02-Jul-2022, 19:57)Pim Wrote:
(02-Jul-2022, 19:39)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:
(02-Jul-2022, 17:06)frenek Wrote: What is wrong with Expert  ??  I'm missing nothing

That depends on the configuration you have. If you have more than one unit, then you are doomed. If you have only one unit, then it depends on how you use it and what features you have activated.

Haven’t felt ‘doomed’ yet. Just enjoying the power of the dual mono.

Again, it depends on what settings you use: many of the settings in the configurator can only be made on the master and (here's the problem!) are not saved in the companion configuration.
In addition, even during operation, the master does not send these settings to the companion (another problem!).
So, for some of the settings, master works with the settings you made, and companion with the factory default ones. Disaster...

This is one of the reasons why I use 4 masters (instead of 1 master and 3 companions).
(03-Jul-2022, 17:05)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: ...

This is one of the reasons why I use 4 masters (instead of 1 master and 3 companions).

So are you using at least two of them for dual mono stereo listening?   I'm curious how you go about configuring each if not via the Devialet online configurator for dual mono?

The biggest headache I've run into is that I can never edit an existing configuration for my 440 Pro.   The online configurator will always mess up any such attempt.   But from your comments, I'm concerned that there are other issues I should be aware of.   All attempts to communicate with Devialet about the configurator issues have gone unanswered to date.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(03-Jul-2022, 17:27)mdconnelly Wrote:
(03-Jul-2022, 17:05)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: ...

So are you using at least two of them for dual mono stereo listening?   I'm curious how you go about configuring each if not via the Devialet online configurator for dual mono?

The biggest headache I've run into is that I can never edit an existing configuration for my 440 Pro.   The online configurator will always mess up any such attempt.   But from your comments, I'm concerned that there are other issues I should be aware of.   All attempts to communicate with Devialet about the configurator issues have gone unanswered to date.

I do not use dual mono, but quad mono: each stereo channel (left and right) has 2 speakers and 2 amplifiers in mono mode.

The cables between the amplifiers are connected in the same way as in the configuration of 1 master and 3 companions: digital_out from one goes to digital_in to the next.
The remote control is paired with all 4 amplifiers and controls all 4 simultaneously.

In the configurator I set 4 dual mono configurations, but I only use the files saved for masters. Basically, the 4 configurations are identical, with the following differences:
- 2 are for left speakers, and the other 2 for right speakers.
- The first master has activated the inputs that I use. The other 3 have only activated the digital_in input (as a kind of companion).

In this way, I am only interested in the master settings in the configurator, and they are saved correctly and can be edited / modified at any time in the configurator.

There are disadvantages (which do not affect me at all):
- The application in the phone only works on the first master (if it is connected to the network).
- Automatic power sleep is applied successively to the 4 amplifiers.
- You can only use the inputs from the first amplifier.
(03-Jul-2022, 17:05)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: This is one of the reasons why I use 4 masters (instead of 1 master and 3 companions).

I too need to know from you how I can have 2 Masters; 1 Master + 1 Master (and not 1 Master + 1 Companion). 

Hope you're willing to share.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(04-Jul-2022, 17:59)audio_engr Wrote:
(03-Jul-2022, 17:05)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: This is one of the reasons why I use 4 masters (instead of 1 master and 3 companions).

I too need to know from you how I can have 2 Masters; 1 Master + 1 Master (and not 1 Master + 1 Companion). 

I tried to explain the configuration in my previous post, but it seems to have failed. Wink

What kind of information is missing? I am eager to share them.
(04-Jul-2022, 18:24)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:
(04-Jul-2022, 17:59)audio_engr Wrote:

I tried to explain the configuration in my previous post, but it seems to have failed. Wink

With your kind help, I have accomplished to setup my dual mono 440-Pro as below.

Thank you once again! 
Being Master-L and Master-R now, it sounds a little different ... for some reasons, the sound is more powerful that I'm not used to having used the dual mono 440-Pro as Master + Companion for the last 4 years.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(11-Jul-2022, 03:23)audio_engr Wrote:
(04-Jul-2022, 18:24)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:
(04-Jul-2022, 17:59)audio_engr Wrote: I too need to know from you how I can have 2 Masters; 1 Master + 1 Master (and not 1 Master + 1 Companion). 

With your kind help, I have accomplished to setup my dual mono 440-Pro as below.

Thank you once again! 
Being Master-L and Master-R now, it sounds a little different ... for some reasons, the sound is more powerful that I'm not used to having used the dual mono 440-Pro as Master + Companion for the last 4 years.

Great.
How about the temperature? It is the same now?
Just to make sure, play some FLACs with different sample rates (e.g. 44.1 kHtz and 192 kHz), and check if both units are playing the same sample rate.
(11-Jul-2022, 06:04)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: Great.
How about the temperature? It is the same now?
Just to make sure, play some FLACs with different sample rates (e.g. 44.1 kHtz and 192 kHz), and check if both units are playing the same sample rate.

44.1k to 192k all plays incl. DSD64 hence no issues. Temperatures of L vs. R are almost identical. And the best part is vocal material esp. with center singer is dead-dead center! I've a feeling when in [Master + Companion] config, very likely R-ch slightly suffers, thus not absolutely identical to L-ch. And this might be true for 210-Pro, 440-Pro & 1000-Pro owners.

It would be great to hear from other 440-Pro & 1000-Pro owners who have their setup configured as [Master + Companion] as to what are their thoughts.