Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optical vs Dante for Home Theater
(10-Mar-2023, 01:57)njaiswal Wrote: Hi There!  And congrats on your phantom HT journey.  My first phantom HT was using an anthem D2V processor and using ADCs.  While the setup worked, I found (and you're experiencing) a constant hiss from the speakers.  The other challenge was the amount of outlets I needed to power everything... too many wires for the family's taste.  I switched and went the Dante route.  I have 2 setups using SDP-55 (older version of the SDP-58) and am extremely happy with the outcome.  My system is completely quiet even with the phantoms set to +3 db.  I already had a POE switch and ethernet ports at the phantoms' locations.  Even with the technical glitches that come with the JBL, I found the investment to be worthwhile. The all digital pathway allowed the phantoms to stay sound large, while I felt the ADCs made the them sound smaller. 

Here's my thread on the topic
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phantom-...-and-Dante
Thanks for sharing your experience! 

Definitely agree there is some attenuation happening with the ADC process, and overall the setup quite silly (digital hdmi signal to analog out to digital optical to analog sound). I think I’ve found solution to the hiss problem (a 12v trigger switch attached to my avr which will shut off my ADCs and allow the phantoms to go into idle mode). That said, the whole thing is certainly suboptimal even though the sound is very good imo. 

Issue is switching to Dante (incl the Dante stick to convert Dante to optical, plus switching from phantom ii 95db to custom install for surrounds) would effectively double the cost, plus leave me with “dumb” phantom ii surrounds instead of the wireless capable ones. 

My situation is a bit odd, I’m living abroad for a few years so can’t do a full in wall home theater. My plan is to use this devialet setup till I move home, then use the Phantom Is as living room speakers and the  phantom IIs as whole home sound spread through the house. So that also left me less in favor of a full Dante integration. 

Also finally I feel convinced that devialet must be working on better home theater integration (likely ability to add surrounds and / or left right channels to use with the Dione) based on some interviews Ive watched plus speaking w the sales person here. So my hope is in a year or so I’ll be able to simplify the whole setup! 

Anyway. The sound now is great and it looks super cool in my living room, so have to say I’m psyched about it.