Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There´s a new music format.
Watch this:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/theres-a-n...nts-124287
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
It’s hard to work out what it is exactly but it reads to me like a record that doesn’t wear. That still doesn’t have the dynamic range that digital has so I wonder what the advantage would be.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(11-May-2022, 02:36)Pim Wrote: It’s hard to work out what it is exactly but it reads to me like a record that doesn’t wear. That still doesn’t have the dynamic range that digital has so I wonder what the advantage would be.

Doesn't look like anything new except that you substitute aluminum to copper and use it to play directly instead of pressing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_metal_mastering

However, as you said, apart from wearing less rapidly than vinyl disk, it does not change any other characteristics (limitations or perceived advantages) of vinyl.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
For me, vinyl is the support from which the best and most "human" sound is taken... although I haven't used it for a long time, for essentially convenience reasons.
It's not as comfortable and accessible as digital formats, it's my opinion, for what it's worth.
But i also think that this is not the way to put the "old" vinyl aside... yet.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
For anyone interested in this kind of detail, here is the patent:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis....629227.pdf

For those not interested in that kind of detail, it is basically good old fashioned LP technology using an alternative materials to vinyl. Or you could consider it a better version of the Devialet "Lost recordings" lacquer offering, as you could at least play these as many times as you wanted.

It looks to me like a very niche offering. Although it might appeal to those who enjoy spinning analogue discs if something from a favorite artist was released in this format.

If something was released on this format and happened to be an album I was interested in, I probably would buy one just out of pure curiosity. (unless it was silly money)

If I was more cynical than I am, I might think that this was a shameless move by folk with the rights to some obscure recordings to extract lots of money from audiophiles.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Ok. So it’s an LP that is so tough it doesn’t wear. That means you’ll be buying a new stylus every year.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(11-May-2022, 23:44)Pim Wrote: Ok. So it’s an LP that is so tough it doesn’t wear. That means you’ll be buying a new stylus every year.

Humm...Does the wear of the stylus have to do with the hardness of the surface??
(12-May-2022, 11:14)BoyScout Wrote:
(11-May-2022, 23:44)Pim Wrote: Ok. So it’s an LP that is so tough it doesn’t wear. That means you’ll be buying a new stylus every year.

Humm...Does the wear of the stylus have to do with the hardness of the surface??

When two materials rub, the weakest wears. That’s why we change tires, not road bricks.
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Actually, both wear out, but not at the same speed, for sûre !
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(12-May-2022, 14:31)Pim Wrote: When two materials rub, the weakest wears. That’s why we change tires, not road bricks.

Thanks for the physics class, but i'm not so sure that the weakest here is the stylus.
It is the egg and the chicken story, it's not worth delving into.