Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade from Expert 200 to Expert 220 Pro - Phonostage
Hello,

i'm using an Expert 200 and would like to know if the upgrade to an Expert 220 Pro has any effects to the Phonostage if used with an MC Cartridge. 
At the moment i have to turntables with MC Cartridges and i'm curious if the upgrade makes some kind of difference (good or bad) on the Phonostage.

Feedback of Owners with MC Cartridges very welcome.

TIA

Peter
Rooncore (macmini) - RoonAir(Ethernet) - Devialet 200 - Manger P1 /
Delos Lyra - Bauer DPS - Devialet 200 - Manger P1 
In my experience, the upgrade did not change my phono playback any more than all the benefits that the Pro CI provide. I don't believe the upgrade changed the phono section specifically. I also use a MC cartridge and continue to enjoy it as much as I did when I just had a 200.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I like to add my experience, as I have been unhappy with the phono stage and my MC Ortofon Quintet Black S, always. In parallel a Linn DSM is used with phono pre and it is absolutely without any noise, but Devialet phono sounds much better.
Options have been to switch to a MC Dynavector 20X2 H with high output option (900,- Euro) or
Lundahl step-up-transformer with type 1681 (350,- Euro) or 1941 on a board (620,- Euro).
(https://www.don-audio.com/Classi-1941-MC...former-Set)
I picked the 1681 SUT with about 23dB amplification and its perfect. The setting has been put to "_phono_max_level":2000, "GAIN_L":29, "GAIN_R":29 from before gain 40,9 at the Devialet settings file. With the setting, the noise becomes already better but the max power was too small, with the SUT everything is very well for me.
Anyhow, I highly recommend the update to 220, I had 200 before, also.
220 Expert Pro - MagicoA3 - Linn Streaming - Linn LP12 Vinyl - DS-Audio 003 - PS Audio PP12 - Uptone EtherRegen - AfterDark Clock - Acourate room correction via Roon - Qobuz
Germany - Hamburg
(17-Nov-2021, 20:43)listener Wrote: I like to add my experience, as I have been unhappy with the phono stage and my MC Ortofon Quintet Black S, always. In parallel a Linn DSM is used with phono pre and it is absolutely without any noise, but Devialet phono sounds much better.
Options have been to switch to a MC Dynavector 20X2 H with high output option (900,- Euro) or
Lundahl step-up-transformer with type 1681 (350,- Euro) or 1941 on a board (620,- Euro).
(https://www.don-audio.com/Classi-1941-MC...former-Set)
I picked the 1681 SUT with about 23dB amplification and its perfect. The setting has been put to "_phono_max_level":2000, "GAIN_L":29, "GAIN_R":29 from before gain 40,9 at the Devialet settings file. With the setting, the noise becomes already better but the max power was too small, with the SUT everything is very well for me.
Anyhow, I highly recommend the update to 220, I had 200 before, also.
Thank you very much for the detailed information - at the moment I'm using my Lyra Delos with an extra PhonoPre and the Expert 200. In the future I would like to use only the Expert 220 without any extra equipment. I guess I will make the upgrade and after that see which way to go (MM or Step-up transformer).

Best
Peter
Rooncore (macmini) - RoonAir(Ethernet) - Devialet 200 - Manger P1 /
Delos Lyra - Bauer DPS - Devialet 200 - Manger P1