Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upsampling in Roon 1.3
Given that the Devialet Expert upsample all incoming bit rates to 24 bit 192 kHz PCM -- including incoming DSD64 -- is there any theoretical advantage to setting the ROON DSP to upsample to anything other than 24 bit 192 kHz for all sources? Is there any theoretical advantage to upsampling to DSD64 since this will be converted to a PCM stream by the Devialet DAC in any case? In essence, what are the theoretical "optimal" settings for the ROON 1.3 DSP engine feeding a Devialet Expert?
QNAP TS-453 > ROON on Intel NUC 5i5RYK running Win10 > AIR ethernet to D200 via router > Focal Sopra No 2
I don't know if we know what type of filtering the Devialet uses when upsampling. Linear, Mininum phase or maybe apodizing?

So does Roon do a better job or are their filters options better sounding? Probably a personal preference thing.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Does Devialet actually upsample digital input? I always thought that only analog was converted to 24/96 or 24/192.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(03-Feb-2017, 04:46)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Does Devialet actually upsample digital input? I always thought that only analog was converted to 24/96 or 24/192.

https://www.devialet.com/assets/Systems/...ecs-EN.pdf

It indicates all inputs are oversampled and the DSPing happens at 192kHz and 40bit floating point.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(03-Feb-2017, 05:01)Dr Tone Wrote:
(03-Feb-2017, 04:46)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Does Devialet actually upsample digital input? I always thought that only analog was converted to 24/96 or 24/192.

It indicates all inputs are oversampled and the DSPing happens at 192kHz and 40bit floating point.

I suppose a consensus of sorts (or not) may develop as owners try a variety of DSP upsampling options.  At this point, I'm setting everything, with the exception of DSD, to upsample in ROON to 24/192.  I think the general reasoning is that the processing power available to even higher end DACs is not remotely comparable to that in an actual PC and that more complex filters can actually be applied prior to feeding a signal to the DAC.  Whether this results in an audible difference is debatable -- certainly, with non-Devialet DACs there seems to be positive feedback regarding HQplayer upsampling.....
QNAP TS-453 > ROON on Intel NUC 5i5RYK running Win10 > AIR ethernet to D200 via router > Focal Sopra No 2
(03-Feb-2017, 05:26)El_Duderino Wrote:
(03-Feb-2017, 05:01)Dr Tone Wrote:

I suppose a consensus of sorts (or not) may develop as owners try a variety of DSP upsampling options.  At this point, I'm setting everything, with the exception of DSD, to upsample in ROON to 24/192.  I think the general reasoning is that the processing power available to even higher end DACs is not remotely comparable to that in an actual PC and that more complex filters can actually be applied prior to feeding a signal to the DAC.  Whether this results in an audible difference is debatable -- certainly, with non-Devialet DACs there seems to be positive feedback regarding HQplayer upsampling.....

I tell Roon to convert DSD to PCM as well, as it has the +6db gain option.  Keeps levels more consistent across pcm/dsd albums.

(03-Feb-2017, 05:37)Dr Tone Wrote:
(03-Feb-2017, 05:26)El_Duderino Wrote:
(03-Feb-2017, 05:01)Dr Tone Wrote: https://www.devialet.com/assets/Systems/...ecs-EN.pdf

I tell Roon to convert DSD to PCM as well, as it has the +6db gain option.  Keeps levels more consistent across pcm/dsd albums.

Ahh good point...thanks!
Wich settings do you guys suggest when using Air? It's getting a bit to complex for me. Setting max sample rate and bits per sample in Roon or disable it? And what about the settings in Air itself about sample rate?
I'm playing mostly Tidal files.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
Just discovered that adjusting the setting in Air isn't an option anymore.
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(03-Feb-2017, 10:00)KraaijCheck Wrote: Just discovered that adjusting the setting in Air isn't an option anymore.

You should be doing exclusive mode anyway which rendered the air sample rate mute.