Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upsampling in Roon 1.3
Well a lot happened over the years and we are now with Roon 2.0 and an improved DSP & upsampling.

So what are your current preferences / recommendations ?
I periodically try Roon upsampling, with various settings, both with Devialet and the RME DAC. So far, I have not noticed that Roon upsampling brings any notable improvement. Probably both DACs do their job very well (in fact, this is one of the situations where RoonLabs says that using upsampling is pointless).
Do you have a link / URL where Roon is saying that? As experienced by others this normally is quite specific to the DAC and it’s settings / architecture.
(07-Oct-2022, 08:42)markush Wrote: Do you have a link / URL where Roon is saying that? As experienced by others this normally is quite specific to the DAC and it’s settings / architecture.

Here you go:

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/a...e_problems

It gives the reasons for upsampling but if you skip down to the section on reasons not to upsample you'll find the following:

"You paid for some really great hardware that has its own DSP/upsampling

Hardware manufacturers are in a unique position to produce DSP that is tuned to their gear. If you paid for it, use it!"

I've tried upsampling in Roon and never noticed a difference. Since I couldn't notice a difference I've always taken Roon's advice and left it up to the Devialet to handle all upsampling, especially since the maximum sample rate it accepts is 192 kHz and it then upsamples all input to 384 kHz anyway. I prefer to use as few DSP processes so I stream native resolution to my 140 Pro and let Devialet do the upsampling to 384 kHz in a single step rather than let Roon upsample to 176.4 or 192 kHz and then let the Devialet do a separate upsampling to 384 kHz.

I'm 75 and my high frequency hearing isn't what its used to be. If you don't want to take Roon at their word then do the comparison for yourself and see if you hear a difference. If you can't hear a difference then I'd just let the Devialet do all of the upsampling because it's going to be upsampling whatever you feed it anyway.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Ya if there is no audible difference I will let DSP off in Roon and let the Devialet do it all.
But it just that some of my friends who have a really good setup with Devialet said that when doing upsampling in Roon to 192/24 it somehow sounded better.
Seems I have to try on my own.