Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What made you switch from Devialet Expert?
Question 
A few questions for those who have switched from Devialet Expert to some other gear (and still visit devialetchat)...

1. Which Devialet Expert model did you have?
2. What made you switch from Devialet - what were you lacking and did you found it in new gear? 
3. What else is better with the new gear?
4. To what gear did you switch?
5. Are you missing something which you had with Devialet?
6. What speakers do you use?
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Hello Delija,
I have sold my Devialet after 7 years! 

1-Devialet 220Pro/CI
2-I've always found the midrange to be understated.  Treble and bass were ok. 
3-Mid area, display, handling, software update
4-Aavik U-280
5-Remote control, volume control. I solved the volume control very well with Rooextend and Roodial, at the same time I can still control Roon (forwards, backwards, pause, stop)     
6-AudioPhysic Cardeas

https://rooextend.com/index_de.html

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
1. Devialet Expert 200
2. Felt that they were losing interest in the Expert range, and becoming more of a lifestyle company than a hi-fi manufacturer.
3. Difficult comparison - I went from Devialet + speakers to active speakers.  
4. Kii Audio BXT
5. No - the combination of Auralic Aries G2 and Kii is my destination system (hopefully…. !)
6. As in 4 above
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
1. Which Devialet Expert model did you have?
220 Pro.
2. What made you switch from Devialet - what were you lacking and did you found it in new gear?
1) Disappointed with lack of timely/functional updates. The Sweet Room fiasco was the final straw. 2) Eager to try Class A/B. 3) Eager to try new streaming solutions. 4) Wanted a solution with full MQA decoding (not as important as the other reasons). Did I find the answer in new gear: a resounding, yes!
3. What else is better with the new gear?
1) Better DAC. 2) I find the SQ better with my new gear. 3) Lumin is great at updating its hardware. As an example, it added Leedh Processing (digital volume control) as a firmware update. It also added a Roon-Only mode as a firmware update for better SQ.
4. To what gear did you switch?
1) Lumin X1 DAC/streamer, and 2) Kinki EX-M7 power amp (Lumin has Leedh Processing, which obviates the need for a preamp)
5. Are you missing something which you had with Devialet?
I loved the elegance of the one-box solution. When Devialet was a relatively new company, I loved the pace of its evolution. When the company decided to go mass market for the bulk of its products and diminished support for the Expert series, I gradually lost interest.
6. What speakers do you use?
Vivid B1 Decade (only 200 made in Rosso Red). Lovely speakers! Basically, beautiful furniture that also plays music!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Have you tried 440 Pro with your speakers?

As there are only few examples of leaving Devialet, i'd like to name amps that did NOT make me switch (i.e. still loving it).

When i switched speakers the dealer recommended a set of amps with quite different character in sound (could check them at home for about two weeks).
All amps had been in price range 6..10k€ (a valid limit according to the quality of the speakers)
Finally i have to say, they all sounded different to me but none of them made it against the single D200 then!

BTW. I'm not using analogue sources any more, just rips of all kind of digital media and i prefer listening REALLY loud

1. Did start with D200 in 2016 and added a 200 slave (used) this year
2. NOT: Aesthetix Mimas (integrated, hybrid, great headphone amp: could even drive magnetostats adequately, built-in DAC)
2. NOT: Copland CTA408+DAC215 (integrated tube amp with external tube DAC; great when listening at lower volume, great stage etc, but in the end...)
2. NOT: Exposure 5010 series (preamp+integrated DAC, dual mono power amps; relatively low priced, lots of power, unfortunately the DAC did not fit my streamer; had to use D200 pre-out or DAC215)
2. NOT: T+A 2000 R (integrated amp, no DAC) - i guess, i simply do not like the T+A sound, that is radically "neutral"/lifeless to me
2. NOT: T+A 1000/1100
5. The Expert remote with the wheel is unbeatable
6. Dali Epicon 6
(30-Oct-2022, 14:39)Delija Wrote: Have you tried 440 Pro with your speakers?

Not sure whether that question was for me.  At any rate, no, I never tried the 440 Pro.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I went from a 200 to a 220 Pro to a 440 Pro. Making the decision to go from the 200 to a 220 Pro was fairly easy because I loved the sound of my 200 and I had a lot of confidence in what Devialet was promising with the new Pro CI series. Jumping to the 220 Pro only reinforced that, hence the addition of a 2nd one to get to the 440 Pro.

I still have my 440 Pro although, to be honest, I've given serious thought to jumping to a different platform. Perhaps the NAD M33 which has received lots of praise or maybe a jump up to Mola Mola gear which will hurt my wallet but, without doubt, please my ears. The reason I've been strongly considering jumping? Mostly disappointment in Devialet's lack of commitment and support of the Expert Pro line. Hey, all products eventually reach the point of legacy, but there's more than a few Devialet promises never kept and bugs never resolved, hence the disappointment. But being honest, I just haven't taken the time yet to seriously listen to anything else and, well, my 440 Pro still sounds pretty damn good.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I recently bought some subwoofers. My speakers are positioned in the middle of the living room, the subs up against the wall behind them. I use a 10ms delay for the speakers programmed in the Expert to integrate the lot. I can't even think of an amplifier that has the Expert's sound quality AND gives me the option to integrate subs as well as the Expert does.

Over the years I've gone from running a D170 to my Dynaudio C1's to having an Od'A and 18" Triad Inroom Platinum subs. It's quite incredible the sound quality improvements I've been able to achieve over these years whilst still using the same speakers.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.