Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wi-Fi or PLC?
I do so hope I am not going to regret Elevating my phantom Golds.
Just received my replacement 108db Phantoms. These replaced the old Golds still on DOS1 and using Dialog to connect everything together via PLC. After Devialet stopped updating DOS1 I found the system to be pretty stable and I never tried to upgrade these to DOS2.

Having just spent all day with the new Phantoms I am getting frustrated. I am running the latest Devialet App 1.8 and after setting up a stereo pair I upgraded the speakers to latest software 2.14.4.
I have also connected a Toslink cable to TV which I didn’t bother with before.

I am only using UPnP for NAS and Qobuz plus the TV DIGITAL.

I can stream music up to 48KHz ok but anything higher the music stops suddenly even though the track counter continues then the music begins to play again. Sometimes the track counter goes back to the point the music stopped and plays from there other times the music starts to play from where the track counter is at that time.

I am also having problems with the Toslink TV connection. The cable is plugged into the right speaker and after just a few minutes the sound stopped and I lost the right speaker from the setup. It wouldn’t reconnect with 3 pushes of the button I had to unplug it and reconnect the mains to bring it back online.

I think this all seems to point to internet connectivity? Any thoughts on checks I should do please? How can you tell if the Phantoms are talking to each other by Wi-Fi or PLC like you could do in Spark? I can’t find this in the Devialet App.

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you’re able to use a toslink cable I am assuming perhaps the phantoms are close enough to your gear to hook them up via ethernet? This would stabilize things. 

I also spent a day getting things to work when I changed from the Phantom II to the Phantom I. The system now works wired and wirelessly via Roon (not AirPlay as I don’t use airplay).

I wrote about it here. Scroll down to post 15. 
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phantom-...3dB?page=2

Hope this helps.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
Hey
Sorry for your troubles.
I also have upgraded golds (from classic whites).
I too have the issue of tracks over 48khz struggling to play. My issue with this is how we intermittent, and put this down to internet bandwidth here which is limited (until project gigabit arrives). I have tried everything I can think of, including very expensive toslink cables, wifi connections, but have given up streaming over 48khz if I can help it.
I have connected now via Ethernet which offers some stability (but not rock solid). I hope, with each upgrade it will fix the high res file issue or my bandwidth will increase in time and this will solve it.

Sorry this offers you no solution, just a recognition of your frustration

(03-Apr-2022, 00:24)steve_denney Wrote: I do so hope I am not going to regret Elevating my phantom Golds.
Just received my replacement 108db Phantoms. These replaced the old Golds still on DOS1 and using Dialog to connect everything together via PLC. After Devialet stopped updating DOS1 I found the system to be pretty stable and I never tried to upgrade these to DOS2.

Having just spent all day with the new Phantoms I am getting frustrated. I am running the latest Devialet App 1.8 and after setting up a stereo pair I upgraded the speakers to latest software 2.14.4.
I have also connected a Toslink cable to TV which I didn’t bother with before.

I am only using UPnP for NAS and Qobuz plus the TV DIGITAL.

I can stream music up to 48KHz  ok but anything higher the music stops suddenly even though the track counter continues then the music begins to play again. Sometimes the track counter goes back to the point the music stopped and plays from there other times the music starts to play from where the track counter is at that time.

I am also having problems with the Toslink TV connection. The cable is plugged into the right speaker and after just a few minutes the sound stopped and I lost the right speaker from the setup. It wouldn’t reconnect with 3 pushes of the button I had to unplug it and reconnect the mains to bring it back online.

I think this all seems to point to internet connectivity? Any thoughts on checks I should do please? How can you tell if the Phantoms are talking to each other by Wi-Fi or PLC like you could do in Spark? I can’t find this in the Devialet App.

Thanks for any advice.

I’m sorry that you are encountering this kind of issue. 

As others have said, Ethernet between the two could certainly be a solution. 

Alternatively, if they are close enough to be connected from the same outlet, that would create the shortest possible PLC path and would almost certainly solve the issue too.

Best of luck,

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
You can check how they are connected and talking by tapping the speaker in the app and then ‘network interface’. You should get the following info:
[Image: 025be0e51c059d9b268a161259586795.jpg]

Hi when I tap the speaker the only options I get is Optical auto switch and product information which shows the serial number and firmware version.

Thanks all for your comments. I will keep trying to enjoy the new setup!

Tap the cog wheel in the upper right corner.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Think 1.18 of the app has removed the ability to choose the option between Wi-Fi and PLC. Can’t find it anywhere

@steve_denney
It's still there.
Tap the three lines in the upper right corner.

And you will find the network settings 

Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
That’s weird. I have a different view and no network options [Image: 7ca179746e2b89010aed84bc8b53d101.jpg]