Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wi-Fi or PLC?
@supaDean
This is all I got regarding the Roon issue:

[Marie-Paul (Devialet)
Apr 11, 2022, 2:45 PM GMT+2
Hello Thomas,
Following the meeting last Friday, I was asked to complete the technical escalation as the issue that was discussed by our managers is specifically with high resolution files but through Roon. ]

The issue I feel is to do with the ability for two ‘master’ speakers to play in stereo, both needing to be fully engaged to the network. Other active speakers have one master and another ‘slave’ and minimum network pressure. Pushing a signal back and forth to a router to deliver stereo is what I feel makes it struggle.

Painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also heard back from Devialet and they echoed what @tsmithpam heard: Roon playing >= 48Khz files is buggy with no known resolution.

While this issue is very reproducible with Roon and hi-res files, as noted it also happens occasionally for me even using an analog headphone cable directly to one of the Phantoms in a stereo pair (in theory no DAC needed from the "master" Phantom). I'm not sure what the Phantoms are doing to sync the data between themselves in "master/slave" (or if they're both "master", or if it's even related to the Roon issue) but it seems like the only option is to wait and hope Devialet finds a solution to whatever the problem is they found.

If anything changes or I hear anything I'll be sure to report back.
Hey all...

I've bypassed the Roon / dropout issue by going the Direct Optical Mode. No dropouts and the sound is probably the best one can get out of the Phantoms.

After some thought I'm not entirely convinced it's just hi-res wireless playback via Roon. It may be all high-res wireless plackback, even from streaming Tidal etc.

In any event, here's the link on DC for more info about my journey to fix this: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-PLC-networking?page=3

Hope it is helpful. Cheers.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
Hey
Thanks for this. I’m contemplating this to give me stability. I’m also considering abandoning phantoms and Devialet altogether.

Can you explain the set up with direct optical please. I don’t understand the need to remain hard wired via Ethernet? I thought you would just feed with toslink and a splitter to play stereo?
Thanks

……also, how are you managing volume control via this set up? Presume the dev app won’t work?
Thanks

@tsmithpam  You won't need ethernet for streaming in Direct Optical, it is only needed to reach the web configuration UI on the speakers.
For volume control you'd have to use digital volume, like the one in Roon. Volume control in Phantoms is digital anyway so there is nothing to loose (maybe apart from convenience).
Instructions for Direct Optical on Phantom I https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...M-I-CUSTOM
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(22-Apr-2022, 10:02)ogs Wrote: @tsmithpam  You won't need ethernet for streaming in Direct Optical, it is only needed to reach the web configuration UI on the speakers.
For volume control you'd have to use digital volume, like the one in Roon. Volume control in Phantoms is digital anyway so there is nothing to loose (maybe apart from convenience).
Instructions for Direct Optical on Phantom I https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...M-I-CUSTOM

Correct. @tsmithpam I've implemented a preamp which controls volume with a remote. Also does digital room correction. I've written a ton about it in a couple different threads so I'd suggest you do some homework and read it.... this way you can learn how to tweak for your needs.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
Thanks @ogs. I think I will give this a try.

I can feed optical to my phantoms from my innuos zen and use a splitter. The new innuos app is good and I’m happy to use this.

However, The innuos app has a volume slider which can control volume but I always have this set to 100% and use the new Devialet remote for volume. If I flip to direct optical would then I presume the 100% setting on the innuos app would become full volume and the max (unbearably loud)? Just trying to anticipate an outcome as I don’t want to blow anything- particularly my ears!

Hope this makes sense?

To be on the safe side set a volume in the Phantom web UI - say you start with 40%. That should mean 100% on Innuos=40% out of Phantoms. 40% is probably too little, but this is easy to adjust in the Phantom web UI.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
According to Devialet Customer Care (Devialet support), all Phantoms set to  "Direct Optical" ( Phantom I, Phantom II and CUSTOM variants) 70% volume corresponds to 0dBFS. The setting is here in the "Direct Optical" configuration:

Devialetless!