Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wi-Fi or PLC?
@steve_denney
Have you tried Roon? Worked as a charm on high resolution content on my Phantom I 108dB's bought in August last year.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I haven’t and resisted because I have a simple music collection all stored on the Innuos so thought the cost not worth it.

Interesting though that the Roon to Phantoms seems to throttle the payload to enable them to play.

Maybe Devialet will work out what is wrong and provide a fix in a future update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Steve,

1. May I have your current set up information, including the router brand and how many mesh devices you're currently owned?
2. And do you have any switch between your router and Phantom?

If your optical cable works fine for the old Dos1 Phantom then the cable should not be a problem.
I believed your currently internet setup is not enough for high resolution file.
(05-Apr-2022, 10:01)eric871052 Wrote: Hi Steve,

1. May I have your current set up information, including the router brand and how many mesh devices you're currently owned?
2. And do you have any switch between your router and Phantom?

If your optical cable works fine for the old Dos1 Phantom then the cable should not be a problem.
I believed your currently internet setup is not enough for high resolution file.

Hi Eric871052

I noted your response and hoped you could assist me with a similar issue.

Sorry to ‘piggyback’ on this message /thread:

When I play high res files (anything over 48khz) then my stereo phantom golds sometimes (not always) struggle to play or go unstable by going into an echo. 24bit 48khz plays fine.

I have two new phantom golds (purchased oct 21) in stereo both linked by Ethernet to my router to access network.

I connect one of the phantoms to my innuos server (zen mini mk3)via toslink (high quality audio quest vodka cable). From this I access stored flac files and stream via qobuz. The innuos server connects to the network via Ethernet via a switch to my router.

I have an EE router https://shop.ee.co.uk/broadband/smart-wifi.

My internet bandwidth is limited due to rural location. I get max download speeds of 18mb. Is this the issue? Would a different router help?

Hope you can help

Hi my setup is very similar to @tsmithpam.
My previous Phantoms gold were connected via PLC to the Dialog with DOS1. Never tried to update these to DOS2. The Dialog had a Audioquest Vodka Ethernet cable which is connected to a Russ Andrew’s 8 Ethernet switch which then routes back to the router in a different room.

The router is BT Smart Hub 2 and I use 2 of the BT black whole home MESH Wi-Fi disks through the home.
When using this setup I was able to stream from my collection on the Innuos Zenith plus Qobuz any bit rate music using UPnP. I did have optical to the Dialog previously when using a Naim Unitiserve but when changing to Innuos the optical option wasn’t available so changed to UPnP only.

With the new Golds, my router and system is the same. I can get download speeds of 32meg which is higher than @tsmithpam but I also find anything higher than 48k res will cause the music to stop briefly then restart. The track progresses but has these gaps in them when the music disappears.

This never happened in my previous setup.
So, to me, either I need to try connecting the Phantoms to the Russ Andrew’s switch instead of using Wi-Fi connection which is currently stating the connection is poor signal due to distance. Or I do not try to connect Ethernet to the switch and wait to see if Devialet improve hi res connectivity later which allows Wi-Fi to handle the traffic.

Any thoughts appreciated for both @tsmithpam and my issues. Thanks

I also run a mesh network, all with great Wi-Fi coverage around the house but unfortunately the phantoms don't like it, and again anything over 48k just causes one speaker to drop out constantly. I've had to ethernet them both. This is something I've taken up with Devialet on many occasions as its very disappointing. i cant believe that the main speaker in a stereo pair has to send the information back to the router then back to the paired speaker.
Hi @frogster99. Sorry to hear you also have problems. Seems a pattern is forming!
Did connecting them to Ethernet resolve the problem even if not what we want to have cables connecting everything?
So much for an expensive wireless system that doesn’t work wirelessly.

Hi tsmithpam

I live in Asia country so my reply probably not gonna suit everyone here. In my opinion and the experience I currently owned, 18mbps download is definitely not enough for high resolution file.
At least 50~70 mbps is a must (All of my clients who's running Roon server or high resolution got around 250mbps download to make sure internet is fine.
I'll avoid bad quality router or switch to prevent them from dragging the whole internet, I know it's hard to define what is good and what is bad, so I'll usually recommend ASUS router (at least middle level).

Internet is not only about speed but also RSSI and Ping (I usually use APP AirPort Utility and Fing to do test for customers)
And the ability of router port also matters to Phantom.

Btw your setup is quite nice!!
I'm currently the D staff, hope my information helps.
Hi Steve,

For now, I heard some cases about Mesh Wi-Fi (some of them even wired with ethernet cable still got issue, but already fixed in 2.13 or 2.14), but I've never heard specifically for high resolution file. (I'll recommend you to wired both Phantom for now)
I'll do some research for you asap, and I'll get back to you if I have the answer.
Thanks for your views to me and @tsmithpam

In the UK unless you live in a city it is unusual to get anywhere near the download speeds you seem to be lucky to have in Asia.

I have raised a ticket with Devialet now to see if they are able to comment on my configuration and what options I have to try to get a more stable setup.

I will update this thread when I hear back.

Thanks